Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Computer signage on my table

  • evan
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 24, 2005
      Yeah I've got one.

      --- macmothership <macmothership@...> wrote:

      > Evan,
      >
      > Wow - that really would complete the line-up and fit in perfectly. I can
      > create a sign for
      > that also. Great!
      > Do you have a small monitor for it to use?
      >
      > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, evan <evan947@y...> wrote:
      > > Sounds great, Jim. Would be even better if the rest of us follow your
      > lead.
      > > :)
      > >
      > > If I can the Apple 1 replica working, we can put that on your table too.
      > >
      > > --- macmothership <macmothership@y...> wrote:
      > >

      > > > I am going to prepare a small sign for each system that I will be
      > displaying,
      > > > with model
      > > > details. (Apple II, Apple III, Apple Lisa, and the first 128k Mac - and
      > > > possible a Mac
      > > > Portable if I have room)
      > > > I'll place them in those small clear plexiglas stand-up displays that
      > they
      > > > sell at staples, and
      > > > place one by each system. Those things are a few dollars each, but I
      > think it
      > > > will look
      > > > good.

    • evan947
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 28, 2005
        Good news: a couple of days ago the replica started to work. I don't
        know how to program in assembly, but I had fun playing with Integer
        BASIC. I also was able to use Woz's 'monitor' application.

        Yesterday I ordered a non-volatile IC from DigiKey.com, to replace
        the volatile chip that Vince Briel includes with the design. That
        should arrive tomorrow or Monday. (I had to do this -- there is no
        other storage option because my case design won't have room for the
        serial I/O board and Vince says the cassette interface isn't
        finished.)

        FYI, for those who have no idea what I'm talking about:
        http://home.comcast.net/~vbriel/index.htm :)

        Now that it works, I'm designing a custom case for it. Since I
        collect handhelds/portables, I figured my case should be of the
        laptop variety. Sellam Ismail (of VCF fame) gave me an old
        PowerBook -- it's the model 145B because that one is rather large,
        giving me plenty of room to work. I took it apart, removed the
        screen and all of the electronics, so now it's just a bare plastic
        shell. Now I'm working on stuffing the following inside it:
        keyboard, new LCD display, motherboard, NiMH cells. The only problem
        so far is getting the board to work with the LCD, but Vince is
        helping with that.

        I put a photo of the 'empty' laptop under the photos link in this
        group. The photo is not very good quality but you get the idea.

        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "macmothership"

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 29, 2005
          That is great news - the Apple 1 is something most people have never been able to get
          their hands on, just read about - should be cool!

          Have you given any thought to enclosing it in a "period" case. As you know, many were in
          hand built wooden cases with the keyboard, or generic metal enclosures. I've uploaded a
          photo.

          I'll print out an Ad and Article on the Apple 1 from my website to have on display next to
          the unit at the show.

          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "evan947" <evan947@y...> wrote:

          > Good news: a couple of days ago the replica started to work. I don't
          > know how to program in assembly, but I had fun playing with Integer
          > BASIC. I also was able to use Woz's 'monitor' application.
          >
          > Yesterday I ordered a non-volatile IC from DigiKey.com, to replace
          > the volatile chip that Vince Briel includes with the design. That
          > should arrive tomorrow or Monday. (I had to do this -- there is no
          > other storage option because my case design won't have room for the
          > serial I/O board and Vince says the cassette interface isn't
          > finished.)
          >
          > FYI, for those who have no idea what I'm talking about:
          > http://home.comcast.net/~vbriel/index.htm :)
          >
          > Now that it works, I'm designing a custom case for it. Since I
          > collect handhelds/portables, I figured my case should be of the
          > laptop variety. Sellam Ismail (of VCF fame) gave me an old
          > PowerBook -- it's the model 145B because that one is rather large,
          > giving me plenty of room to work. I took it apart, removed the
          > screen and all of the electronics, so now it's just a bare plastic
          > shell. Now I'm working on stuffing the following inside it:
          > keyboard, new LCD display, motherboard, NiMH cells. The only problem
          > so far is getting the board to work with the LCD, but Vince is
          > helping with that.
          >
          > I put a photo of the 'empty' laptop under the photos link in this
          > group. The photo is not very good quality but you get the idea.
          >

          > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "macmothership"
          > <macmothership@y...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Evan,
          > >
          > > Wow - that really would complete the line-up and fit in perfectly.
          > I can create a sign for
          > > that also. Great!
          > > Do you have a small monitor for it to use?
          > >
          > > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, evan <evan947@y...> wrote:
          > > > Sounds great, Jim. Would be even better if the rest of us follow
          > your lead.
          > > > :)
          > > >
          > > > If I can the Apple 1 replica working, we can put that on your
          > table too.
        • evan947
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 30, 2005
            Yes, I'm considering that... however the portable version is my main
            project right now. (Vince Briel, who designed the kit, has a version
            very similar to the original, just like in your photo. Check his out:
            http://home.comcast.net/~vbriel/r1se.htm) -- it's sold already but I
            think he's willing to make more for whoever is willing to order one.