OT: DECnet on Windows 7 or 8

  • Jeffrey Brace
    Message 1 of 6 , May 9, 2014
      Does anyone know of a way to natively access DECnet drives via Windows 7 or Windows 8?

      I'm asking for a friend who programs for VAX.

      Jeff Brace
    • Dean Notarnicola
      Message 2 of 6 , May 9, 2014
        I used to manage a DECnet network. From what I recall it was based on MS LAN Manager and used the same stack. I don't rightly know if windows 7/8 are still compatible with old lanman protocols. You may need to spin up a win 95 VM.

        On May 9, 2014, at 9:58 PM, "Jeffrey Brace ark72axow@... [midatlanticretro]" <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Does anyone know of a way to natively access DECnet drives via Windows 7 or Windows 8?

        I'm asking for a friend who programs for VAX.

        Jeff Brace

      • Cory Smelosky
        Message 3 of 6 , May 9, 2014
          On Fri, 9 May 2014, Dean Notarnicola dean_notarnicola@... [midatlanticretro] wrote:

          > I used to manage a DECnet network. From what I recall it was based on MS LAN Manager and used the same stack. I don't rightly know if windows 7/8 are still compatible with old lanman protocols. You may need to spin up a win 95 VM.

          I think 7/8 dropped the old LANMAN protocols. PathWorks SHOULD still
          work, though.

          The appending the sender to the Subject: line is REALLY ANNOYING, Yahoo...

          --
          Cory Smelosky
          http://gewt.net Personal stuff
          Message 4 of 6 , May 9, 2014
            On Fri, 9 May 2014, Cory Smelosky b4@... [midatlanticretro] wrote:

            > On Fri, 9 May 2014, Dean Notarnicola dean_notarnicola@... [midatlanticretro] wrote:
            >
            >> I used to manage a DECnet network. From what I recall it was based on MS LAN Manager and used the same stack. I don't rightly know if windows 7/8 are still compatible with old lanman protocols. You may need to spin up a win 95 VM.
            >>

            > I think 7/8 dropped the old LANMAN protocols. PathWorks SHOULD still
            > work, though.
            >
            > The appending the sender to the Subject: line is REALLY ANNOYING, Yahoo...

            Whoops, misread the fields, gotta look more closely. ;)

            Adding the list name to the From: line.

            Message 5 of 6 , May 9, 2014
              Yes, NetBEUI has gone the way of the dodo. I'd be interested to see if PathWorks still operated. I never used it, always loaded the MS native lanman protocols and drivers. Seemed to coexist better with ms tcpip 1.0a.