OT: Looking for a special type of diskette

  • jkalin196511
    Message 1 of 5 , May 9, 2014
      This is off topic, but I thought someone here might be able to help me.  I'm looking for a special diskette for a Brother MD-200 Disk Drive, which connects to my Brother EM 200 Electronic Typewriter.  I don't have a picture of the diskette, but there is a video on YouTube that shows the type of diskette that I'm looking for.  I have tried contacting Brother, but the diskette was discontinued years ago.

      Here is the link for the video on YouTube:

      Brother EM-250 Typewriter and MD-200 Disk Drive

    • Ray Sills
      Message 2 of 5 , May 9, 2014
        It might be what was called a "Quick Disk". IIRC, it was a 2"
        diameter disk, and it was designed to be a "flippy".... i.e. you had
        two sides to use to save/load data. I think they stored 64K per side,
        and the data was recorded as a single block... so there was no
        directory as such.

        I had a bunch of those disks for an Akai audio sampler system as part
        of a MIDI studio once upon a time. I don't know if I still have any
        of them, but if I find that I do, I certainly will advise.

        73 de Ray
      • Paul Birkel
        Message 3 of 5 , May 9, 2014

          On Fri, May 9, 2014 at 1:55 PM, jkalin196511@... [midatlanticretro] <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          This is off topic, but I thought someone here might be able to help me.  I'm looking for a special diskette for a Brother MD-200 Disk Drive, which connects to my Brother EM 200 Electronic Typewriter.  I don't have a picture of the diskette, but there is a video on YouTube that shows the type of diskette that I'm looking for.  I have tried contacting Brother, but the diskette was discontinued years ago.

          Here is the link for the video on YouTube:

          Brother EM-250 Typewriter and MD-200 Disk Drive

          Brother EM-250 Typewriter and MD-200 Disk Drive
          Here's a video of my grandfather's Brother EM-250 typewriter and MD-200 disk drive. I didn't hear any sort of motor go off in the disk drive, so I would...
          Preview by Yahoo

        • Ray Sills
          Message 4 of 5 , May 9, 2014
            On May 9, 2014, at 2:05 PM, Ray Sills raysills3@...
            [midatlanticretro] wrote:

            > It might be what was called a "Quick Disk". IIRC, it was a 2"
            > diameter disk, and it was designed to be a "flippy".... i.e. you had
            > two sides to use to save/load data. I think they stored 64K per side,
            > and the data was recorded as a single block... so there was no
            > directory as such.
            >
            > I had a bunch of those disks for an Akai audio sampler system as part
            > of a MIDI studio once upon a time. I don't know if I still have any
            > of them, but if I find that I do, I certainly will advise.
            >
            > 73 de Ray

            UPDATE ... a memory jog assisted by Wikipedia... the Quick Disk was
            probably 2.8 inches in size.

            73 de Ray
          • Jim
            Message 5 of 5 , May 9, 2014

              The Brother disks had a large cut out opening where the disk is read, but if I could see the end that is inserted into the drive first, I could tell if they were the right disks or not.