The Machine Emulator (TME) running on a Mac?

  • theearlsquirrel
    Message 1 of 8 , May 7, 2014

      I'm trying to netboot a Sun 3 to be able to get an OS installed on a SCSI2SD card attached to the Sun 3.

      It's obviously a bit of a chicken and an egg problem, but the suggestions I've found suggest the most straightforward way might be to run TME as a Sun 2 and netboot the Sun 3 from that.  (once I get this working, the same process will be what I do for the Sun 2/120 I'm getting started on restoring)

      So, I've been trying to get TME running on my Mac... but so far not much luck.   Has anybody here tried to get it running on that?  Or if not, what platforms have you gotten it running on?   Even the docs are fairly vague as to what platforms it should run on.  It "seems" to be fairly generic support for UNIX based machines (and on the Mac I get "most" of it to compile (the 0.8 release)

      Earl

    • jcl_fixit
      Message 2 of 8 , May 7, 2014
        Hi Earl

        If it was me, I'd try netbooting from a yp/dns/bootp/nfs server running native daemons (on your macintosh or whatever) as that would cut out a lot of emulation -- of course at the price of interoperability challenges.  I'll confess I haven't booted a Sun 2 for several decades, but last time I had a Sun 3 (about one decade ago) I seem to remember it was pretty straightfoward getting it to boot from a i386 FreeBSD machine, even with byte-order swapping.

        Is that any help?

        All best,
        Jonathan.
      • theearlsquirrel
        Message 3 of 8 , May 7, 2014

          Well that's a thought :-)

          I hadn't considered that (which I probably should have) since when I was google searching on how folks had done it the only things I found were related to using TME.

          I'd still like to get TME working on the Mac (at least before I start working on the Sun 2/120) but what you suggest is something definitely to try...

          Thanks!
          (I'll post results... good or bad :-) )

          Earl

        • J. Alexander Jacocks
          Message 4 of 8 , May 7, 2014
            On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 5:09 PM, <earl.baugh@...> wrote:

            Well that's a thought :-)

            I hadn't considered that (which I probably should have) since when I was google searching on how folks had done it the only things I found were related to using TME.

            I'd still like to get TME working on the Mac (at least before I start working on the Sun 2/120) but what you suggest is something definitely to try...

            Thanks!
            (I'll post results... good or bad :-) )

            Thanks for the information, Earl.  I'd never heard of TME, but I'm definitely going to have to set it up, now.

            Sun 2 and Sun 3 are holes in my otherwise fairly extensive Sun hardware collection, unfortunately.  I'd love to acquire a couple, given space to put them in.

            - Alex
            Message 5 of 8 , May 8, 2014
              On 05/07/2014 05:52 PM, J. Alexander Jacocks wrote:
              > Sun 2 and Sun 3 are holes in my otherwise fairly extensive Sun hardware
              > collection, unfortunately. I'd love to acquire a couple, given space to
              > put them in.

              Ahh, memories. Fantastic machines.

              In early 1992, my business partner and I sold a pair of Sun3/160
              systems to a wacky guy in the DC area. In January of 1993, I moved to
              DC to work with that very same wacky guy, at first just to assist in his
              moving from Sun-3 (68K) to Sun-4 (very early SPARC) systems. He was
              running about five big Sun-3 systems at the time. Everything needed to
              be recompiled and tested to move services over to the new Sun-4 systems
              that had, erm, "fallen off a truck" in our direction.

              That wacky guy was, of course, Doug Humphrey, and those machines were
              access.digex.net, ss1.digex.net (Staff Server #1), universe.digex.net,
              news.digex.net, ns.digex.net, and a few others.

              I have a few of those Sun-3s here, but not quite enough of them. ;)

              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
              New Kensington, PA
            • Cory Smelosky
              Message 6 of 8 , May 8, 2014
                Sent from mobile device that advertises itself for no good reason

                > On 8 May 2014, at 03:11, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:
                >
                >> On 05/07/2014 05:52 PM, J. Alexander Jacocks wrote:
                >> Sun 2 and Sun 3 are holes in my otherwise fairly extensive Sun hardware
                >> collection, unfortunately. I'd love to acquire a couple, given space to
                >> put them in.
                >
                > Ahh, memories. Fantastic machines.
                >
                > In early 1992, my business partner and I sold a pair of Sun3/160
                > systems to a wacky guy in the DC area. In January of 1993, I moved to
                > DC to work with that very same wacky guy, at first just to assist in his
                > moving from Sun-3 (68K) to Sun-4 (very early SPARC) systems. He was
                > running about five big Sun-3 systems at the time. Everything needed to
                > be recompiled and tested to move services over to the new Sun-4 systems
                > that had, erm, "fallen off a truck" in our direction.
                >
                > That wacky guy was, of course, Doug Humphrey, and those machines were
                > access.digex.net, ss1.digex.net (Staff Server #1), universe.digex.net,
                > news.digex.net, ns.digex.net, and a few others.
                >
                > I have a few of those Sun-3s here, but not quite enough of them. ;)

                I wouldn't mind a Sun-3. ;)

                I think I had a line on one several months ago...can't remember though

                > -Dave
                >
                > --
                > Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                > New Kensington, PA
                >

                > ------------------------------------
                >
                > Yahoo Groups Links

              • jcl_fixit
                Message 7 of 8 , May 8, 2014
                  Hi All

                  Sun 3/60 was first computer I bought, circa 1985, for what I remember as about £9,000 (with scary bank loan), followed by the rather silly Sun i386 (with Intel CPU) which took PC-bus hardware.  Programmers worked on the console screens, managers had serial terminals, hardware engineers had PC with MS-DOS wuth nfs client and telnet. Ethernet cards were incredibly expensive as I remember, as were mice, as they weren't usual for PCs.  We had a modem which did UUCP mail three times a day via local university.

                  I see there's a 3/60 on US Ebay, at nostalgia pricing of $170.  Later models are much cheaper.

                  Anybody else remember the 'rugged country table in Provence' series of brochures, which had the workstations of the time shown in earthy environments?  Or the ruggedised ad, with the US soldier using the mouse to do C3 or somesuch.

                  All best,
                  Jonathan.
                • J. Alexander Jacocks
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 8, 2014
                    On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 3:11 AM, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:

                    On 05/07/2014 05:52 PM, J. Alexander Jacocks wrote:
                    > Sun 2 and Sun 3 are holes in my otherwise fairly extensive Sun hardware
                    > collection, unfortunately. I'd love to acquire a couple, given space to
                    > put them in.

                    Ahh, memories. Fantastic machines.

                    In early 1992, my business partner and I sold a pair of Sun3/160
                    systems to a wacky guy in the DC area. In January of 1993, I moved to
                    DC to work with that very same wacky guy, at first just to assist in his
                    moving from Sun-3 (68K) to Sun-4 (very early SPARC) systems. He was
                    running about five big Sun-3 systems at the time. Everything needed to
                    be recompiled and tested to move services over to the new Sun-4 systems
                    that had, erm, "fallen off a truck" in our direction.

                    That wacky guy was, of course, Doug Humphrey, and those machines were
                    access.digex.net, ss1.digex.net (Staff Server #1), universe.digex.net,
                    news.digex.net, ns.digex.net, and a few others.

                    I have a few of those Sun-3s here, but not quite enough of them. ;)

                    Yeah, I _love_ 68k-based workstation hardware.  I dunno what it is about it, but those were the workstations that I was so amazed by, as a young man, and they made a lasting impression.  I really do need to add at least 1 Sun-2 and 1 Sun-3 to my collection, as the earliest thing that I have is an SS1 (thanks, Dave!), right now.

                    I also really want to get a CycleQuad, or other Ultra AX-MP-based system, to replace the one that was my personal workstation, back in 2001.  I used that machine, for years, and loved it.  I have _no_ idea why I let it go.

                    - Alex