Bell Labs

    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 14, 2006
      Interesting article in today's New York Times about the old Bell Labs
      headquarters here in N.J. ... It has a new owner and such, but they seem
      interested in preserving its history. So this morning I called the new
      owner's office and left a message to see if we can help, or at least get a
      tour before it's too late.

      http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/14/realestate/commercial/14bell.html
    • mmelnick
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 14, 2006
        a tour would rule..keep us posted on details

        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 14, 2006
          Just heard back.  They said it's still under the control of Lucent.  But as luck would have it, I know lots of people who work in community/public relations at Lucent.  So that is my next phone call.

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 14, 2006
            Woohoo!

            Heard back very quickly from Bell Labs.  They're asking for a few days to a few weeks of time to prepare, but in general they're very willing to bring us in -- not just to the old building but to get MARCH involved with the Bell Labs archives (and their professional archivist) as well.  This could be something extremely fruitful for us and open the door to all kinds of collaboration.  The PR guy I spoke with said normally the archives aren't open to the public, but that "If we don't do it for you guys, then who?" ... I told him he's a very smarter man and we feel the same way.  :)

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 14, 2006
              A little blurb I found: http://www.lucent.com/news_events/articles/022604.html -- this is the guy who the Lucent PR contact is lobbying on MARCH's behalf.

              Just heard back.  They said it's still under the control of Lucent.  But as luck would have it, I know lots of people who work in community/public relations at Lucent.  So that is my next phone call.

              a tour would rule..keep us posted on details

              On Wed, 14 Jun 2006, Evan Koblentz wrote:

              > Interesting article in today's New York Times about
              the old Bell Labs
              > headquarters here in N.J. ... It has a new owner and
              such, but they seem
              > interested in preserving its history. So this
              morning I called the new
              > owner's office and left a message to see if we
              can help, or at least get a
              > tour before it's too late.

              http://www.nytimes. com/2006/ 06/14/realestate /commercial/ 14bell.html

            • Bryan Pope
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 14, 2006
                Evan Koblentz wrote:
                Woohoo!

                Heard back very quickly from Bell Labs.  They're asking for a few days to a few weeks of time to prepare, but in general they're very willing to bring us in -- not just to the old building but to get MARCH involved with the Bell Labs archives (and their professional archivist) as well.  This could be something extremely fruitful for us and open the door to all kinds of collaboration.  The PR guy I spoke with said normally the archives aren't open to the public, but that "If we don't do it for you guys, then who?" ... I told him he's a very smarter man and we feel the same way.  :)

                Hasn't Lucent done volunteer work at Infoage as well?  IIRC they were working on another building the same day you Bob and I were
                working on the basement and that other room where we had the speakers.

                Cheers,

                Bryan

                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 14, 2006
                  Yes, that was through their employee community volunteer group.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 14, 2006
                    MARCH folks -- Fred's message was not supposed to be on-list -- so please do
                    not reply to 'all' on that one.

                    Thanks.

                    We need to talk and form a plan. It appears InfoAge/MARCH is working
                    toward the same goal from two directions.

                    Thank you,
                    Fred

                  • Dan
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 14, 2006
                      Evan,

                      It's good to see that it's history won't be lost. I use to work for
                      Lucent in R&D of the Optical Networking group till the massive layoffs a
                      few years ago. So I hated to see the corporate hags sellout such a
                      treasure and jewel of our country. They even tried to sellout to Alcatel
                      back in 2001 before the layoff. I guess there's nothing they can do to
                      avoid closing down Bell Labs, I hear it's being moved to France. But at
                      least you guys can saved some valuable items for the museum. Keep up the
                      good work.

                      =Dan
                      .~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~.

                      [My Corner of Cyberspace
                      http://ragooman.home.comcast.net/ ]
                      [Pittsburgh Robotics Society Got Robot?
                      http://www.pghrobotics.org/ ]
                      [Pittsburgh Vintage Comp.Society
                      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pghvintagecomp/ ]
                      .~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~.

                      Evan Koblentz wrote:

                      > Interesting article in today's New York Times about the old Bell Labs
                      > headquarters here in N.J. ... It has a new owner and such, but they seem
                      > interested in preserving its history. So this morning I called the new
                      > owner's office and left a message to see if we can help, or at least get a
                      > tour before it's too late.
                      >
                      > http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/14/realestate/commercial/14bell.html
                      > <http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/14/realestate/commercial/14bell.html>

                    • Sellam Ismail
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 15, 2006
                        On Wed, 14 Jun 2006, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                        > Heard back very quickly from Bell Labs. They're asking for a few days to a
                        > few weeks of time to prepare, but in general they're very willing to bring
                        > us in -- not just to the old building but to get MARCH involved with the
                        > Bell Labs archives (and their professional archivist) as well. This could
                        > be something extremely fruitful for us and open the door to all kinds of
                        > collaboration. The PR guy I spoke with said normally the archives aren't
                        > open to the public, but that "If we don't do it for you guys, then who?" ...
                        > I told him he's a very smarter man and we feel the same way. :)

                        Excellent networking!

                        --

                        Sellam Ismail Vintage Computer Festival