Disk Image Archive Started

  • billdeg
    Message 1 of 4 , May 3, 2014
      Hi all,
      I have started an archive section on my web site of disk images that I've created using Dunfield's ImageDisk program.  So far the archive is mostly 8" TRS 80 Model II/12/16 disks.  The archive has sub-folders of like images.

      The file names are a bit nebulous as I tried to use an 8-character file name, but if you use either the IMDV or IMDU utilities (I forget which) you can read more about what is contained in the image.  Let me know if you actually use an image or if you have problems so I can know if the process worked.  I did some testing but once I got rolling I did not test every one.

      http://vintagecomputer.net/disk_images/

      Note: If you're interested in Commodore disk images they're in the commodore directory (click "directory" from the menu at the top of the page).

      Bill

    • retro
      Message 2 of 4 , May 4, 2014
        On 5/3/2014 9:56 PM, billdeg wrote:
        > Hi all,
        > I have started an archive section on my web site of disk images that
        > I've created using Dunfield's ImageDisk program. So far the archive is
        > mostly 8" TRS 80 Model II/12/16 disks. The archive has sub-folders of
        > like images.
        >
        > Note: If you're interested in Commodore disk images they're in the
        > commodore directory (click "directory" from the menu at the top of the
        > page).

        Part of Dunfield's imagedisk site includes an archive of system-disk
        images. If he does not have system disk images of disks you've archived,
        consider offering him your images. I don't know how actively he updates
        the site, but his list of images seems to increase over the years.

        Also: I've been told that imagedisk doesn't support multiple density
        disks. For instance, where track 0 is single density, but track 1 and
        forward are double density. A number of vintage computers (and DEC's
        RX01/2) used such formats. Apparently David Keil's DMK disk image
        format, does support multiple densities, and is used in some TRS-80
        emulators and disk imaging tools. Comments?

        Herb Johnson

        --
        Herbert R. Johnson
        http://www.retrotechnology.com OR .net
        Message 3 of 4 , May 4, 2014
          ImageDisk can handle the switch in density, but only if the *drive controller can* as well.  I have watched the TRS 80 disks being imaged, there is a difference between track 0 and 1 on these disks (forget exactly whether they switch  density or single side/double side) and Dunfield's utility seems to handle just fine.  I am using a Catweasel MK4 as the drive controller.  See my web site for the recent thread of the details.

          I have already written to Dave, have not heard back yet.  I kind of want to hear back from a few people as to the quality of the images first, before I sent them to Dave as "golden" images.

          Also I have received feedback from the TRS 80 yahoo group, overall the images are good.  Some have offered to update and clean up some of the imaging errors that have been found.  It's tough, my TRS 80 8" disks in general are not in the best shape, especially the original disks which are pretty much toast at this point.  I have been lucky to have copies people made of their originals that I could image when the originals themselves failed.  I had to re-clean the heads frequently due to deteriorating oxides on the disks.  By far the worst disks I have encountered, and I have received TRS 80 Model II/12/16 disks from numerous-enough sources to say I have a representative sample from more than one owner and location of these disks.

          Thanks anyone who tests these, I will get rid of the bad images, and replace when possible.  Eventually I guess Dave will post to his site too.  I have a few of his images on my site, in their own sub-directory within vintagecomputer.net/disk_images/  ... Note this section of the site protected, you have to agree to the terms of use before downloading, educational use only, etc.

          Bill
        • billdeg
          Message 4 of 4 , May 4, 2014
            Waiting in an airport...

            I have received some questions about my set up???hope this helps:

            Experimenting, I inserted a catweasel mk4 into the system to see what if anything might happen.  As we all know Imagedisk alone does not read all disk types and I was hoping to be able to also have available the catweasel capabilities and the software tools that use it...all in the same system without having to swap out hardware.  Read on....

             To that end I plugged the cable from the motherboard's on-board drive controller to the catweasel.  I attached a drive cable from the catweasel out port that had both old and new style disk connectors.  The cable was split into one pair of connectors with a twist and one without.  (Twist=drive 0/A)  Each pair comprised of one 34 pin (modern) connector and one flat (old style) connector.   To the non twisted 34 pin (modern) connector I attached a DBit 5 1/4" to 8" adapter.   As most here know the adapter converts 34-pin drive cable signals to 50 pin, suitable for 8" drives.  From the dBit out port I connected a standard 50 pin cable.

            I attached a 5 1/4" drive to the old style twisted connector of the cable coming from the catweasel.

            I formatted the system as a dual boot DOS 6 and Windows 2000.  See my blog for more hardware info, search "catweasel".

            When I want to use imagedisk I boot into DOS, when I want to use the catweasel-compatible imagetool3, I boot into win 2000.  I can copy files created with either OS while in win 2000 mode to a thumb drive

            The great thing is that imagedisk does not have problems with the catweasel.  I don't see it helping nor hurting its capabilities.

            One fun thing I did was format an 8" disk to serve as a DOS 6 boot disk.