Re: [midatlanticretro] OTish: Selectric typewriter available

    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 14, 2006
      Kelly,

      Someone donated an immaculately maintained wide carriage Selectric a couple
      months ago. It even includes the official IBM dust cover! It's in one of our
      museum rooms waiting for another ad agency to call. A second one couldn't
      hurt as I think these are the most likely rental we have. Can you bring it to
      InfoAge on your next trip?

      Jim

      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 14, 2006
        Boyd,

        I agree it would be a nice addition sitting next to the keypunch. Can you
        bring it to InfoAge?

        Jim

        --- BOYD BORRILL <b.r.borrill@...> wrote:

        > Kelly, If you unload that one I have another. However, Mine already has the
        > modifications and controller/translator box to connect it to a parallel
        > port, and it still functions as a wide crriage, correcting Selectric. Sold
        > A BUNCH OF THEM BACK WHEN IT WAS A MATRIX PRINTR, DAISY-WHELL PRINTER, THIS
        > OR NOTHING. PRINTS 15 CHARACTERS PER SECOND AND USES A STANDARD OFFICE
        > STYLE PRINT THINBLE. tHE INTERFACE BOX TRNSLATES FROM ASCII TO STANDARD
        > SELECTRIC TILT-ROTATE CODES, AND DRIVES THE SOLINOIDS THAT MAAKE THE
        > TILT-ROTATE MECHANISM TO DO THERE THING, PLUS THE SOLINOIDS FOR THE VARIOUS
        > FUNCTION KEYS LIKE "INDEX", "TAB", "CR/LF, ETC.
        > It was given to me by the widow of the guy I sold it to for use with a
        > SOL-20 and an Apple IIE with which he wrote technical books and manuals. He
        > didn't use it much and a friend of mine that services typewriters for a
        > living told me that it has no more than a few thousnd characters of use on
        > it. Anyone tha wants it can have it for the shipping cost and packaging.
        > I'd estimate about $100.00 via FEDEX/KINKO's.
        >
        > Evan note: It would look great in the museum exhibits.:>)
        >
        > Ray
        >

        > Kelly Leavitt <kelly@...> wrote:
        > Anyone want one of these lovely beasts? The big, heavy brown
        > units. Weighs a ton. Free if you come get it. There were conversion kits
        > for turning them into printers going back quite a few years.
        >
        > Kelly
        >

        > Pioneer Purveyor of Personal Processing Power

      • Bryan Pope
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 14, 2006
          Jim Scheef wrote:
          > Boyd,
          >
          > I agree it would be a nice addition sitting next to the keypunch. Can you
          > bring it to InfoAge?

          I wonder which would be louder?

          Cheers,

          Bryan
        • mmelnick
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 14, 2006
            Hey everyone. I probably have a few items I could contribute, but I don't
            really have a way of getting the stuff to the museum. Anyone got wheels to
            come pick up stuff and bring to NJ?

            -matt

            On Wed, 14 Jun 2006, Jim Scheef wrote:

            > Boyd,
            >
            > I agree it would be a nice addition sitting next to the keypunch. Can you
            > bring it to InfoAge?
            >
            > Jim
            >
            > --- BOYD BORRILL <b.r.borrill@...> wrote:
            >
            >> Kelly, If you unload that one I have another. However, Mine already has the
            >> modifications and controller/translator box to connect it to a parallel
            >> port, and it still functions as a wide crriage, correcting Selectric. Sold
            >> A BUNCH OF THEM BACK WHEN IT WAS A MATRIX PRINTR, DAISY-WHELL PRINTER, THIS
            >> OR NOTHING. PRINTS 15 CHARACTERS PER SECOND AND USES A STANDARD OFFICE
            >> STYLE PRINT THINBLE. tHE INTERFACE BOX TRNSLATES FROM ASCII TO STANDARD
            >> SELECTRIC TILT-ROTATE CODES, AND DRIVES THE SOLINOIDS THAT MAAKE THE
            >> TILT-ROTATE MECHANISM TO DO THERE THING, PLUS THE SOLINOIDS FOR THE VARIOUS
            >> FUNCTION KEYS LIKE "INDEX", "TAB", "CR/LF, ETC.
            >> It was given to me by the widow of the guy I sold it to for use with a
            >> SOL-20 and an Apple IIE with which he wrote technical books and manuals. He
            >> didn't use it much and a friend of mine that services typewriters for a
            >> living told me that it has no more than a few thousnd characters of use on
            >> it. Anyone tha wants it can have it for the shipping cost and packaging.
            >> I'd estimate about $100.00 via FEDEX/KINKO's.
            >>
            >> Evan note: It would look great in the museum exhibits.:>)
            >>
            >> Ray
            >>

            >> Kelly Leavitt <kelly@...> wrote:
            >> Anyone want one of these lovely beasts? The big, heavy brown
            >> units. Weighs a ton. Free if you come get it. There were conversion kits
            >> for turning them into printers going back quite a few years.
            >>
            >> Kelly
            >>

            >> Pioneer Purveyor of Personal Processing Power

          • Kelly Leavitt
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 14, 2006
              To infoage with it then. When is the next "cathering" there?

              --- Kelly Leavitt <kelly@... <mailto:kelly%40catcorner.org> > wrote:

              > Anyone want one of these lovely beasts? The big, heavy brown units. Weighs
              > a ton. Free if you come get it. There were conversion kits for turning them
              > into printers going back quite a few years.
              >
              > Kelly

            • Kelly Leavitt
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 14, 2006
                Where are you located?

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 14, 2006
                  Bushwick Brooklyn

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 14, 2006
                    Matt, thanks for joining our group.

                    Please also describe what you have to donate, so that we can figure out the necessary transportation .... thanks!

                    New members are also encouraged to introduce themselves.   :)

                    Message-----
                    href="mailto:midatlanticretro%40yahoogroups.com">midatlanticretro@ yahoogroups. com on behalf of mmelnick
                    > Sent: Wed 6/14/2006 11:18 AM
                    > To:
                    href="mailto:midatlanticretro%40yahoogroups.com">midatlanticretro@ yahoogroups. com

                    > Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] OTish: Selectric typewriter
                    available

                    > Hey everyone. I probably have a few
                    items I could contribute, but I don't
                    > really have a way of getting the
                    stuff to the museum. Anyone got wheels to
                    > come pick up stuff and bring
                    to NJ?

                    wrote:

                    > > Boyd,
                    > >
                    > > I agree it would be
                    a nice addition sitting next to the keypunch. Can you
                    > > bring it to
                    InfoAge?

                    <kelly@catcorner. org <mailto:kelly% 40catcorner. org> > wrote:

                    Anyone want one of these lovely beasts? The big, heavy brown

                    units. Weighs a ton. Free if you come get it. There were conversion kits
                    > >> for turning them into printers going back quite a few years.
                    > >>
                    > >> Kelly
                    > >>

                    > >> Pioneer Purveyor of
                    Personal Processing Power

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 14, 2006
                      Most people just call him "Ray", not Boyd.... fyi....