Re: [midatlanticretro] M.A.I. IBM card punching machine

    Message 1 of 29 , Jun 14, 2006
      Bill and all,

      I'd ike to see this in our museum and I'm willing to bid on it, but we should not bid against each other. I'm willing to to put in $80 toward this item. Is anyone else already bidding? Is anyone willing to "pledge" more so we can bid and maybe win. Also, does anyone use one of those automatic bidding programs?

      Jim

      Message 2 of 29 , Jun 14, 2006
        Stop the presses!  Thanks to the legwork of Herb Johnson, I found out this morning that InfoAge supporter and Burroughs user Claude Kagan has an even older punch to donate to us.

        So we can let this eBay unit go...

        Message 3 of 29 , Jun 14, 2006
          All

          Here's what being in the group is all about - Teamwork.

          I work 15 miles from the punch.  I will pick it up and drop it off at Info Age next time I go there if we win.  I can also volunteer to "snipe" the auction Friday night. If I don't hear from anyone I will assume it's my job.

          I will put in $50, so that's a total of $130.

          The current price is $69.  Anyone else?
          If we win all donors will be required to pay the seller their pledged share directly into the seller's Paypal account. This way we don't have to collect from each other or have extra fees.  I am sure the seller won't mind as long as he gets his money.  If the total price is less than the amount we're willing to bid as a group, we can pay proportionally.  If it's more, we lose so it does not matter.  For example if we win and the sale is $69, Jim would be responsible for his share as follows:

          sale amount $69
          pledged amount $80.
          total pledges to date $130
          Jim's percentage of the total 80/130 = 61.5%
          Jim's contribution $69 * .615 = $42.46

          If someone wants to be the backup sniper, please contact me before Friday night with your phone number Friday night at ~11 PM edst.  Please contact me directly by email.

          Bill D

          Message 4 of 29 , Jun 14, 2006
            A key punch in the hand is worth two in the bush.  Jim/Evan/other donors - Should we bag this?  Is the other one a done deal? Herb?
            bd

            At 12:29 PM 6/14/2006 -0400, you wrote:

            Stop the presses!  Thanks to the legwork of Herb Johnson, I found out this morning that InfoAge supporter and Burroughs user Claude Kagan has an even older punch to donate to us.

            So we can let this eBay unit go...

            I'd ike to see this in our museum and I'm willing to bid on it, but we should not bid against each other. I'm willing to to put in $80 toward this item. Is anyone else already bidding? Is anyone willing to "pledge" more so we can bid and maybe win. Also, does anyone use one of those automatic bidding programs?

            Jim

            A punch card machine from the 60's only an hour from the InfoAge
            Museum. Right now it's $69.00...anyone interested?

            Bill D

            -- E N D --

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Mike Loewen
            Message 5 of 29 , Jun 14, 2006
              On Wed, 14 Jun 2006, B. Degnan wrote:

              > I work 15 miles from the punch. I will pick it up and drop it off at Info
              > Age next time I go there if we win. I can also volunteer to "snipe" the
              > auction Friday night. If I don't hear from anyone I will assume it's my job.

              It doesn't matter, any how. dkdkk will bid over $1000 on it. :-(

              Mike Loewen mloewen@...
            • Kelly Leavitt
              Message 6 of 29 , Jun 14, 2006
                Well, I'll throw in $40 just on the off chance we'll beat dkdkk. I have an account with stealthbid if we want to go that route. I'll pop in the bid at the last minute.

                Kelly

                Mike Loewen mloewen@... <mailto:mloewen%40cpumagic.scol.pa.us>
                The Dixie Lion Jazz Band http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/dixie.html <http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/dixie.html>
                The B9 Robot Builders Club B9-0014 http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/~mloewen/B9/ <http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/~mloewen/B9/>
                Old Technology http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/ <http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/>
                Message 7 of 29 , Jun 14, 2006
                  Guys, this is very generous, but really not necessary -- we're getting an
                  even older machine donated soon, thanks to Herb Johnson's work with Claude
                  Kagan. So while two machines is better than one, please don't spend too
                  much money on this second one.

                  Bill, Kelly, Mike, and Jim -- I cc'd you guys seperately in case the list
                  message is slow to post.

                  _____

                  yahoogroups.com on behalf of Mike Loewen
                  Sent: Wed 6/14/2006 4:47 PM
                  To: midatlanticretro@ <mailto:midatlanticretro%40yahoogroups.com>
                  yahoogroups.com
                  IBM card punching machine

                  On Wed, 14 Jun 2006, B. Degnan wrote:

                  > I work 15 miles from the punch. I will pick it up and drop it off at Info
                  > Age next time I go there if we win. I can also volunteer to "snipe" the
                  > auction Friday night. If I don't hear from anyone I will assume it's my
                  job.

                  It doesn't matter, any how. dkdkk will bid over $1000 on it. :-(

                  Mike Loewen mloewen@cpumagic. <mailto:mloewen%40cpumagic.scol.pa.us>
                  scol.pa.us <mailto:mloewen%40cpumagic.scol.pa.us>
                  The Dixie Lion Jazz Band http://ripsaw.
                  <http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/dixie.html> cac.psu.edu/dixie.html
                  <http://ripsaw. <http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/dixie.html>
                  cac.psu.edu/dixie.html>
                  The B9 Robot Builders Club B9-0014 http://ripsaw.
                  <http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/~mloewen/B9/> cac.psu.edu/~mloewen/B9/
                  <http://ripsaw. <http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/~mloewen/B9/>
                  cac.psu.edu/~mloewen/B9/>
                  Old Technology http://ripsaw. <http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/>
                  cac.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/ <http://ripsaw.
                  <http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/> cac.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/>
                • William Donzelli
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jun 14, 2006
                    > Guys, this is very generous, but really not necessary -- we're getting an
                    > even older machine donated soon, thanks to Herb Johnson's work with Claude
                    > Kagan. So while two machines is better than one, please don't spend too
                    > much money on this second one.

                    A word of warning to the young MARCH...

                    It is always easy to get new hardware. It is everywhere - a Vax here, a
                    VIC there, and so forth. Before MARCH starts to drown in its own pile of
                    toys, put some written rules in place concerning what is accepted into the
                    collection, and STICK TO IT. Be disciplined about it, and be REALLY picky.
                    Quality always wins over quantity. Do not get items in duplicate, even
                    using the "spares" excuse.

                    Eventually the MARCH collection space will fill up - in fact, it will
                    probably happen much faster than you think. One day you will have a big
                    room with lots of space, and then the next day you will be eight feet deep
                    in beige. Then the heartaches happen - great artifacts will have to be
                    passed up simply due to space reasons. Getting rid of stuff is VERY
                    difficult, and can often result in stepped-on toes and hurt feelings.

                    I have seen it (and been part of it) at RCS and RICM and countless
                    personal collections. Even CHM is now in the same position of not having
                    space in abundance.

                    William Donzelli
                    aw288@...
                  • Herb Johnson
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jun 15, 2006
                      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, William Donzelli <aw288@...>
                      wrote:

                      > A word of warning to the young MARCH...
                      >
                      > It is always easy to get new hardware. It is everywhere - a Vax here, a
                      > VIC there, and so forth. Before MARCH starts to drown in its own pile of
                      > toys, put some written rules in place concerning what is accepted
                      into the
                      > collection, and STICK TO IT. Be disciplined about it, and be REALLY
                      picky....
                      > Eventually the MARCH collection space will fill up - in fact, it will
                      > probably happen much faster than you think.

                      I concurr with my friend and colleage of many years. A collection has
                      value to the extent it has some consistency and theme; that the items
                      are cataloged and accessable; and that they are of quality of some sort.

                      For instance, I've assumed that one consideration for the MARCH
                      collection at InfoAge was for items with a New Jersey connection. I
                      assumed InfoAge would encourage that consideration. It should not be a
                      restriction of course, MARCH is a regional organization - it's just a
                      consideration. So stuff from Bell Labs, or analog computers from EIA,
                      a NJ company, are reasonable items to consider.

                      Another consideration might be SIZE - since MARCH has more space, and
                      access to more electrical power, they can "afford" to grab some of the
                      mini and a FEW mainframe systems. Obviously this will self-limit very
                      quickly, and the big stuff should be obtained with a lot of
                      consideration, including who will restore and maintain it. This is
                      where Donzell's comment about "no duplicates" may come into play,
                      notwithstanding MY preference for spares and for parts trading. For my
                      goal for any computing item I have is to MAKE IT WORK.

                      But SPACE IS EVERYTHING. When stuff gets crammed up in storage, you
                      are in trouble. You lose track of what you have; you can't see it or
                      show it; you can't work on it. And if you can't find it or show it,
                      WHY HAVE IT? I'd strongly encourage the notion that a MARCH collection
                      must be ASSESSABLE in as many ways as possible. Via the Web, via
                      inventory lists, via documentation lists, on public display, working
                      or touchable or via simulation, etc. etc.

                      The best way to publicize and grow MARCH (and InfoAge) is by showing
                      what we have to as many people as possible, in as many ways as
                      possible. Policies that flow from that principle will provide some
                      good guidance, I believe.

                      Herb Johnson

                      Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
                    • mmelnick
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jun 15, 2006
                        how to I remove myself from this list? Im getting too many emails sorry

                        -matt

                      • John Allain
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jun 15, 2006
                          > Guys, this is very generous, but really not necessary -- we're getting an
                          > even older machine donated soon, thanks to Herb Johnson's work with Claude
                          > Kagan.

                          Just some good words about Claude Kagan. I hadn't heard of him prior to
                          this VCF, turns out he's as interesting historically as the HomeBrew
                          Computer Club, and pre-dated it, and the TCF, with his meetings of the
                          "R.E.S.I.S.T.O.R.S." * (see: http://www.resistors.org/ ) in Hopewell as far
                          back as 1967. Seems he obtained a mainframe, possibly from Western Electric
                          Labs, later Bell, where he worked, and let students learn about computing
                          from restoring/programming it. Don't miss the Trenton Times article
                          http://www.resistors.org/trentontimes.html

                          Claude at the VCF was carring an image of the "Piano-Electro-Reconer
                          (y.2889)" And I believe one of Eckert's own notebooks of circuit designs for
                          the Eniac.

                          * = Radically Emphatic Students Interested In Science, Technology or
                          Research Studies

                          May be old news to some, not to me.
                          Might be tempted to say 'Who needs the Smithsonian when you have friends
                          like this.' but not right now, we need the Smithsonian too.

                          John A.
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jun 15, 2006
                            Matt, just log in to the Yahoo Groups page (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midatlanticretro/) and click "edit membership" in the top left corner.  You may want to select the "web only" option so you can continue to be in our group but without getting drowned in email.  Or, considering routing MARCH messages to a different folder.  (That's what I do.)

                            Message 13 of 29 , Jun 15, 2006
                              Yup, we're well aware of Claude, as is InfoAge overall.  Eventually his Burroughs computer could become part of the museum, but everyone involved thinks it's smart to wait until we / InfoAge are more advanced.

                              > Guys, this is very generous, but really not necessary -- we're getting

                              an
                              > even older machine donated soon, thanks to Herb Johnson's work with
                              Claude
                              > Kagan.

                              Just some good words about Claude Kagan. I hadn't heard of him prior to
                              this VCF, turns out he's as interesting historically as the HomeBrew
                              Computer Club, and pre-dated it, and the TCF, with his meetings of the
                              "R.E.S.I.S.T. O.R.S." * (see: http://www.resistor s.org/ ) in Hopewell as far
                              back as 1967. Seems he obtained a mainframe, possibly from Western Electric
                              Labs, later Bell, where he worked, and let students learn about computing
                              from restoring/programmi ng it. Don't miss the Trenton Times article
                              http://www.resistor s.org/trentontim es.html

                              Claude at the VCF was carring an image of the "Piano-Electro- Reconer
                              (y.2889)" And I believe one of Eckert's own notebooks of circuit designs for
                              the Eniac.

                              * = Radically Emphatic Students Interested In Science, Technology or
                              Research Studies

                              May be old news to some, not to me.
                              Might be tempted to say 'Who needs the Smithsonian when you have friends
                              like this.' but not right now, we need the Smithsonian too.

                              John A.

                            • Sellam Ismail
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jun 15, 2006
                                On Wed, 14 Jun 2006, Jim Scheef wrote:

                                > I'd ike to see this in our museum and I'm willing to bid on it, but we
                                > should not bid against each other. I'm willing to to put in $80 toward
                                > this item. Is anyone else already bidding? Is anyone willing to "pledge"
                                > more so we can bid and maybe win. Also, does anyone use one of those
                                > automatic bidding programs?

                                I recommened StealthBid:

                                http://www.stealthbid.com

                                I use it by default for all eBay auctions. It makes it easier to manage
                                them.

                                --

                                Sellam Ismail Vintage Computer Festival

                              • Sellam Ismail
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jun 15, 2006
                                  On Wed, 14 Jun 2006, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                                  > Guys, this is very generous, but really not necessary -- we're getting an
                                  > even older machine donated soon, thanks to Herb Johnson's work with Claude
                                  > Kagan. So while two machines is better than one, please don't spend too
                                  > much money on this second one.

                                  You guys should still bid on the MAI 026. If you all chip in $200 then
                                  that would be a reasonable amount to pay. If the bidding goes higher
                                  (very likely) let it go since Claude will be giving you guys one (and it's
                                  not worth it to bid higher, especially when you're on a budget).

                                  What model is Claude offering? I can't imagine anything older than the
                                  026, so the one he has must be a real antique, and probably way more
                                  exciting than the 026.

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jun 15, 2006
                                    On Wed, 14 Jun 2006, William Donzelli wrote:

                                    > It is always easy to get new hardware. It is everywhere - a Vax here, a
                                    > VIC there, and so forth. Before MARCH starts to drown in its own pile of
                                    > toys, put some written rules in place concerning what is accepted into
                                    > the collection, and STICK TO IT. Be disciplined about it, and be REALLY
                                    > picky. Quality always wins over quantity. Do not get items in duplicate,
                                    > even using the "spares" excuse.

                                    I would second William's wise words. But I'd add a caveat: if you guys
                                    can get stuff for cheap or free that you don't necessarily want, it's a
                                    good way to get some extra cash for the club by selling them on eBay or
                                    the VCM. Make sure you let the donor know that you don't necessarily
                                    intend to keep what is donated.

                                    > I have seen it (and been part of it) at RCS and RICM and countless
                                    > personal collections. Even CHM is now in the same position of not having
                                    > space in abundance.

                                    I crossed that rubicon a long time ago :) But somehow I continue to find
                                    room. My latest acquisition will be a Burroughs L9000. I'm plucking it
                                    from Los Angeles this weekend. Ironically, I also got my Burroughs L7000
                                    from L.A. These seem to have had good market penetration in the L.A. area
                                    back in the days, though I'm not sure my sample of two is useful for
                                    extrapolation ;)

                                    Anyway, you guys should really pay attention to what William is telling
                                    you. You guys are already reaching critical mass.

                                    --

                                    Sellam Ismail Vintage Computer Festival

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jun 15, 2006
                                      Looks like I was somewhat mistaken -- Claude's is also an 026.

                                      On Wed, 14 Jun 2006, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                                      > Guys, this is very generous, but really not necessary -- we're getting an
                                      > even older machine donated soon, thanks to Herb Johnson's work with Claude
                                      > Kagan. So while two machines is better than one, please don't spend too
                                      > much money on this second one.

                                      You guys should still bid on the MAI 026. If you all chip in $200 then
                                      that would be a reasonable amount to pay. If the bidding goes higher
                                      (very likely) let it go since Claude will be giving you guys one (and it's
                                      not worth it to bid higher, especially when you're on a budget).

                                      What model is Claude offering? I can't imagine anything older than the
                                      026, so the one he has must be a real antique, and probably way more
                                      exciting than the 026.

                                      --

                                      Sellam Ismail Vintage Computer Festival
                                      International Man of Intrigue and Danger http://www.vintage. org

                                      [ and academia at www.VintageTech. com || at http://marketplace. vintage.org ]

                                    • Sellam Ismail
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jun 15, 2006
                                        On Thu, 15 Jun 2006, Herb Johnson wrote:

                                        > I concurr with my friend and colleage of many years. A collection has
                                        > value to the extent it has some consistency and theme; that the items
                                        > are cataloged and accessable; and that they are of quality of some sort.

                                        Your point about a collection having a theme is important. There are
                                        already enough people and organizations trying to collect the whole of
                                        computing history. You folks should make it your mission to highlight the
                                        history of computing on the Atlantic seaboard, which as we all know is
                                        long and deep and extremely important.

                                        The precedent for this would be CHAC, the Computer History Association of
                                        California. They limited their collection to computers and stuff that
                                        originated in Californa. A broad swath nonetheless to be sure, but they
                                        had a specific mission.

                                        > For instance, I've assumed that one consideration for the MARCH
                                        > collection at InfoAge was for items with a New Jersey connection. I

                                        Exactly.

                                        > assumed InfoAge would encourage that consideration. It should not be a
                                        > restriction of course, MARCH is a regional organization - it's just a
                                        > consideration. So stuff from Bell Labs, or analog computers from EIA,
                                        > a NJ company, are reasonable items to consider.

                                        If you include the Atlantic seaboard you bring into the fold Harvard, IAS,
                                        Moore School, Princeton, Cornell, DEC, etc. You folks would definitely
                                        want to highlight the local NJ area as that's your broadest constituency
                                        in terms of visitors.

                                        > The best way to publicize and grow MARCH (and InfoAge) is by showing
                                        > what we have to as many people as possible, in as many ways as
                                        > possible. Policies that flow from that principle will provide some
                                        > good guidance, I believe.

                                        I concur.

                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jun 15, 2006
                                          On Thu, 15 Jun 2006, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                                          > Looks like I was somewhat mistaken -- Claude's is also an 026.

                                          Take it! :)

                                          --

                                          Sellam Ismail Vintage Computer Festival

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Jun 15, 2006
                                            Relax, relax, it's ours now.

                                            We also have to pick up a table being saved for us in Clark.  Rather than renting an SUV or van ($$), anybody here want volunteer theirs for a day?

                                            Contact me off-list.

                                            Sellam, your SUV and truck don't count unless you will drive one across the country.   :)

                                            Message 21 of 29 , Jun 16, 2006
                                              Matt,

                                              There is an unsubscribe link at the bottom of every message. Use that if you must, but I prefer Evan's suggestion that you edit your membership to either forgo all emails (use the web interface to read messages) or switch to the daily digest. The digest is a single email that contains all of the messages from that day. One caveat regarding the digest: please NEVER reply to the digest without changing the subject line of your reply to match the thread on which you wish to comment. Also, as a courtesy, delete the superflous content of the original email. Personally I just delete any reply to the digest as I do not want to try to figure out what thread the person is replying to.

                                              Jim

                                              Message 22 of 29 , Jun 18, 2006

                                                Sellam Ismail <sellam@...> wrote:
                                                > Your point about a collection having a theme is important....
                                                > You folks should make it your mission to highlight the
                                                > history of computing on the Atlantic seaboard, which
                                                > as we all know is
                                                > long and deep and extremely important.

                                                Of course the MARCH Board should lead this sort of discussion,
                                                somewhere down the line. There are all sorts of issues about
                                                collecting, and also I'm sure there are issues about MARCH's
                                                relationship to InfoAge and their own intentions.

                                                I'd like to see a new discusion thread on this, when Evan and others
                                                are ready to chat about it. Certainly this thread is about done:
                                                donations to bid on an eBay item already sold are kinda moot! ;)

                                                Herb Johnson

                                                Herbert R. Johnson, phone 609-771-1417, New Jersey USA
                                              • Mike Loewen
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Jun 20, 2006
                                                  I have a pile of Rainbow Magazine for the TRS-80 Color Computers
                                                  available for the cost of shipping:

                                                  Dec 1984
                                                  Jan 1985, Mar - Nov 1985
                                                  Nov 1986
                                                  Feb - Dec 1987
                                                  Jan - Dec 1988
                                                  Jan - Dec 1989
                                                  Jan - Mar, May - Jun 1990

                                                  If anyone is interested in these, drop me a note, off list.

                                                  Mike Loewen mloewen@...