Weekend Apple //e rescue

  • Jason Howe
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 28, 2014
      A friend of mine was cleaning out their closets and offered me their old
      Apple //e. I said sure! When I got there, there was a pile of stuff
      waiting for me.

      Contents of pickup:
      1 - Apple //e, Duo Disk, Apple Green Screen Monitor
      1 - Apple // no-name clone
      1 - Rana floppy drive w/ interface card (Apple //)
      ? - A pile of Apple // add-in cards (Video7 hi-res, Alpha Syntauri
      (She's still looking for the keyboard, but have all the software and
      interface cards), ALF, Epson Printer, and more)
      2 - Apple Graphics Tablets, with pens and add-in cards.
      2 - Boxes big boxes of floppies (software and data)
      1 - Mac Quadra 840Av, Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse
      1 - SGI Indigo, monitor and keyboard

      http://archives.smbfc.net/uploads/retrocomputing/haul.jpg

      My friend was heavily involved with Computer Graphics and Video
      production, in the 80's and 90's, hence the above.

      Everything I've tested seems to work great, except the SGI, it reports a
      dead graphics card, which is sad, so I'm on the hunt for one of those on
      the cheap/free.

      Once I'm done going through it all, the Quadra 840av and some amount of
      the Apple // stuff will be sold off. I'll make it available here first.

      This is really my first foray into the world of the Apple //, I really
      only every used them in grade school in the computer lab, so I'm
      learning Apple // from the ground up now 20+ years later. Ultimately, I
      want to setup an Apple // music and graphics workstation, you know
      because I have all the parts to do that. If I can get my pile of Atari
      stuff rationalized as well (A bunch of stuff I thought was gone years
      ago, my Mom recently found in her attic!), I could get that set up with
      some similar functionality. That might make a neat VCF 10 exhibit, Atari
      800 vs Apple //: Graphics and Music Creation.

      Anyway, an exciting retro-computing weekend!

      --Jason
    • Christian Liendo
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 28, 2014
        From: Jason Howe <jason@...>

        > Everything I've tested seems to work great, except the SGI, it reports a
        > dead graphics card, which is sad, so I'm on the hunt for one of those on
        > the cheap/free.

        What error do you get? May be a driver/software..
      • Jason Howe
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 28, 2014
          On 04/28/2014 02:40 PM, Christian Liendo wrote:
          > From: Jason Howe <jason@...>
          >
          >> Everything I've tested seems to work great, except the SGI, it reports a
          >> dead graphics card, which is sad, so I'm on the hunt for one of those on
          >> the cheap/free.
          > What error do you get? May be a driver/software..

          When I power it on, after a second or so, I get a solid Yellow LED on
          the front, and a bing from the speaker. According to some
          troubleshooting guide I found, this indicates a bad graphics board. I
          get no video output at all, the SCSI drive doesn't even attempt to spin
          up. It seems like it's not even making it through POST.

          --Jason
        • retro
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 28, 2014
            On 4/28/2014 1:55 PM, Jason Howe wrote:
            > A friend of mine was cleaning out their closets and offered me their old
            > Apple //e. I said sure! When I got there, there was a pile of stuff
            > waiting for me.

            > 1 - Mac Quadra 840Av, Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse
            > 1 - SGI Indigo, monitor and keyboard
            > [link to photo]

            > Everything I've tested seems to work great, except the SGI, it reports a
            > dead graphics card, which is sad, so I'm on the hunt for one of those on
            > the cheap/free.

            I"ve sold some SGI stuff, I think I'm out of Indigo items. It's useful
            to have a system and keyboard, mouse?, display. Contact me if you don't
            have any SGI resources, I'll try to help, maybe give you a referral when
            I'm asked for an Indigo. The Indigo is both a bit scarce and a bit
            out-of-vogue today.

            The Q 840 is incrementally interesting because of the 68040 and I
            believe the PowerMac upgrade. Check for a battery and pull that sucker
            out - they "melt" and ruin motherboards.

            Herb

            --
            Herbert R. Johnson
            http://www.retrotechnology.com OR .net