OTish: Selectric typewriter available

  • Kelly Leavitt
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 13, 2006
      Anyone want one of these lovely beasts? The big, heavy brown units. Weighs a ton. Free if you come get it. There were conversion kits for turning them into printers going back quite a few years.

      Kelly
    • BOYD BORRILL
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 13, 2006
        Kelly, If you unload that one I have another. However, Mine already has the modifications and controller/translator box to connect it to a parallel port, and it still functions as a wide crriage, correcting Selectric. Sold A BUNCH OF THEM BACK WHEN IT WAS A MATRIX PRINTR, DAISY-WHELL PRINTER, THIS OR NOTHING. PRINTS 15 CHARACTERS PER SECOND AND USES A STANDARD OFFICE STYLE PRINT THINBLE. tHE INTERFACE BOX TRNSLATES FROM ASCII TO STANDARD SELECTRIC TILT-ROTATE CODES, AND DRIVES THE SOLINOIDS THAT MAAKE THE TILT-ROTATE MECHANISM TO DO THERE THING, PLUS THE SOLINOIDS FOR THE VARIOUS FUNCTION KEYS LIKE "INDEX", "TAB", "CR/LF, ETC.
        It was given to me by the widow of the guy I sold it to for use with a SOL-20 and an Apple IIE with which he wrote technical books and manuals. He didn't use it much and a friend of mine that services typewriters for a living told me that it has no more than a few thousnd characters of use on it. Anyone tha wants it can have it for the shipping cost and packaging. I'd estimate about $100.00 via FEDEX/KINKO's.

        Evan note: It would look great in the museum exhibits.:>)

        Ray

        Kelly Leavitt <kelly@...> wrote:
        Anyone want one of these lovely beasts? The big, heavy brown units. Weighs a ton. Free if you come get it. There were conversion kits for turning them into printers going back quite a few years.

        Kelly

        Pioneer Purveyor of Personal Processing Power
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 14, 2006
          Kelly,

          Someone donated an immaculately maintained wide carriage Selectric a couple
          months ago. It even includes the official IBM dust cover! It's in one of our
          museum rooms waiting for another ad agency to call. A second one couldn't
          hurt as I think these are the most likely rental we have. Can you bring it to
          InfoAge on your next trip?

          Jim

          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 14, 2006
            Boyd,

            I agree it would be a nice addition sitting next to the keypunch. Can you
            bring it to InfoAge?

            Jim

            --- BOYD BORRILL <b.r.borrill@...> wrote:

            > Kelly, If you unload that one I have another. However, Mine already has the
            > modifications and controller/translator box to connect it to a parallel
            > port, and it still functions as a wide crriage, correcting Selectric. Sold
            > A BUNCH OF THEM BACK WHEN IT WAS A MATRIX PRINTR, DAISY-WHELL PRINTER, THIS
            > OR NOTHING. PRINTS 15 CHARACTERS PER SECOND AND USES A STANDARD OFFICE
            > STYLE PRINT THINBLE. tHE INTERFACE BOX TRNSLATES FROM ASCII TO STANDARD
            > SELECTRIC TILT-ROTATE CODES, AND DRIVES THE SOLINOIDS THAT MAAKE THE
            > TILT-ROTATE MECHANISM TO DO THERE THING, PLUS THE SOLINOIDS FOR THE VARIOUS
            > FUNCTION KEYS LIKE "INDEX", "TAB", "CR/LF, ETC.
            > It was given to me by the widow of the guy I sold it to for use with a
            > SOL-20 and an Apple IIE with which he wrote technical books and manuals. He
            > didn't use it much and a friend of mine that services typewriters for a
            > living told me that it has no more than a few thousnd characters of use on
            > it. Anyone tha wants it can have it for the shipping cost and packaging.
            > I'd estimate about $100.00 via FEDEX/KINKO's.
            >
            > Evan note: It would look great in the museum exhibits.:>)
            >
            > Ray
            >

            > Kelly Leavitt <kelly@...> wrote:
            > Anyone want one of these lovely beasts? The big, heavy brown
            > units. Weighs a ton. Free if you come get it. There were conversion kits
            > for turning them into printers going back quite a few years.
            >
            > Kelly
            >

            > Pioneer Purveyor of Personal Processing Power

          • Bryan Pope
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 14, 2006
              Jim Scheef wrote:
              > Boyd,
              >
              > I agree it would be a nice addition sitting next to the keypunch. Can you
              > bring it to InfoAge?

              I wonder which would be louder?

              Cheers,

              Bryan
            • mmelnick
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 14, 2006
                Hey everyone. I probably have a few items I could contribute, but I don't
                really have a way of getting the stuff to the museum. Anyone got wheels to
                come pick up stuff and bring to NJ?

                -matt

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 14, 2006
                  To infoage with it then. When is the next "cathering" there?

                  --- Kelly Leavitt <kelly@... <mailto:kelly%40catcorner.org> > wrote:

                  > Anyone want one of these lovely beasts? The big, heavy brown units. Weighs
                  > a ton. Free if you come get it. There were conversion kits for turning them
                  > into printers going back quite a few years.
                  >
                  > Kelly

                • Kelly Leavitt
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 14, 2006
                    Where are you located?

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 14, 2006
                      Bushwick Brooklyn

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 14, 2006
                        Matt, thanks for joining our group.

                        Please also describe what you have to donate, so that we can figure out the necessary transportation .... thanks!

                        New members are also encouraged to introduce themselves.   :)

                        Message-----
                        href="mailto:midatlanticretro%40yahoogroups.com">midatlanticretro@ yahoogroups. com on behalf of mmelnick
                        > Sent: Wed 6/14/2006 11:18 AM
                        > To:
                        href="mailto:midatlanticretro%40yahoogroups.com">midatlanticretro@ yahoogroups. com

                        > Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] OTish: Selectric typewriter
                        available

                        > Hey everyone. I probably have a few
                        items I could contribute, but I don't
                        > really have a way of getting the
                        stuff to the museum. Anyone got wheels to
                        > come pick up stuff and bring
                        to NJ?

                        wrote:

                        > > Boyd,
                        > >
                        > > I agree it would be
                        a nice addition sitting next to the keypunch. Can you
                        > > bring it to
                        InfoAge?

                        <kelly@catcorner. org <mailto:kelly% 40catcorner. org> > wrote:

                        Anyone want one of these lovely beasts? The big, heavy brown

                        units. Weighs a ton. Free if you come get it. There were conversion kits
                        > >> for turning them into printers going back quite a few years.
                        > >>
                        > >> Kelly
                        > >>

                        > >> Pioneer Purveyor of
                        Personal Processing Power

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 14, 2006
                          Most people just call him "Ray", not Boyd.... fyi....