June 14-15 tech workshop -- we're on

    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 24, 2014
      Fred approved our request for the big room June 14-15.

      As usual we'll collect $10/person as a donation to InfoAge.
    • orion3311
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 25, 2014
        Noted - God willing I will be there!
      • Alex Duboski
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 26, 2014
          Hi,

          I'm new to the group. What goes on at the tech workshops?

          -Alex Duboski
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 26, 2014
            >> I'm new to the group. What goes on at the tech workshops? -Alex Duboski

            Hi Alex. Welcome to the group.

            Please introduce yourself. How'd you hear about us? What's your interest in vintage computing? Where approximately do you live?

            The workshops are all about collaboration. About 10-20 of us gather at the museum, set up a bunch of tables, and help each other repair stuff -- typically it's anything from 1960s minicomputers to 1970s hobby machines to 1980s eight-bitters.

            Some people bring their own systems, others choose to work on club-owned systems, some do both, and some come just to help/learn. Some do coding, others work on hardware, etc. .... it's very productive in a group environment where people share knowledge and tools.

            We start on a Saturday morning, most of us share rooms in local cheap motels, and we stop Sunday evening. Of course, we also enjoy meals together, and there's  plenty of socializing (however, it's discouraged if you go * only * to socialize).

            We also make time to show new folks our museum and to do various projects.

            The best thing about MARCH is we are never clique-y! Everyone is friendly and newcomers are always welcome.
          • David Hayden
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 27, 2014
              On 4/26/2014 11:21 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:

              Please introduce yourself. How'd you hear about us? What's your interest in vintage computing? Where apprximately do you live?

              Although Evan's email wasn't addressed to me, I'm also new so I'll introduce myself.

              My name is Dave. I'm not sure where I first heard about MARCH, but I've know about the group for several years and must have heard about it at the Trenton Computer Festival or VCF.  I saw my first programmable calculator around 1976 at age 13 and was instantly hooked. I was extremely fortunate to go to a high school with a PDP11/40 and later an 11/44.  I've been programming professionally for 29 years.  Although I don't get to do it at work, I get the biggest thrill from low-level stuff - where the hardware and software meet.

              I've been active for about 4 years with the HP calculator enthusiasts.  People in that group love the calculators from the first handheld HP-35 to the current top-of-the-line Prime.

              I'm relatively local to InfoAge - living about 40 miles away in Western NJ, and working about 10 miles North.

              One thing I'd be happy to contribute to the museum is some time and energy to clean some of the machines.  I noticed that some of the HP desktops could use cleaning.

              I'd like to come to the workshop but I don't know if other stuff will get in the way.

              Dave

            • Bob Aviles
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 27, 2014
                Hi All,

                  I have a question: can you do just one day?

                Thanks
                Bobby

                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 27, 2014
                  >>  I have a question: can you do just one day?

                  Yes, people come and go all weekend.
                • Cory Smelosky
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 30, 2014
                    On Sun, 27 Apr 2014, David Hayden wrote:

                    > On 4/26/2014 11:21 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                    >>
                    >> Please introduce yourself. How'd you hear about us? What's your
                    >> interest in vintage computing? Where apprximately do you live?
                    >>
                    > Although Evan's email wasn't addressed to me, I'm also new so I'll
                    > introduce myself.
                    >

                    > My name is Dave. I'm not sure where I first heard about MARCH, but I've
                    [snip]

                    Can we just nickname this list "The Daves List" already? ;)

                    > I've been active for about 4 years with the HP calculator enthusiasts.
                    > People in that group love the calculators from the first handheld HP-35
                    > to the current top-of-the-line Prime.

                    What're their current models like?

                    --
                    Cory Smelosky
                    http://gewt.net Personal stuff
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 30, 2014
                      >> Can we just nickname this list "The Daves List" already? ;)

                      ...and Bills, Chris(s), Jeffs, Matthews...

                      Honestly, I have no idea how many Daves we have now. I lost track long ago.
                    • David Hayden
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 1, 2014
                        On 5/1/2014 12:14 AM, Cory Smelosky wrote:

                        Can we just nickname this list "The Daves List" already? ;)

                        :)

                        > I've been active for about 4 years with the HP calculator enthusiasts.
                        > People in that group love the calculators from the first handheld HP-35
                        > to the current top-of-the-line Prime.

                        What're their current models like?

                        Some are good, some not so much. After little development by any calculator manufacturer for 20 years, the new HP Prime is what you'd expect for a modern machine: full color backlit touch enabled display, 400MHz processor and 128MB of flash memory.  A couple of years ago they released a limited edition run of the 15C c1986. The 15C-LE runs about 100 times faster than the original.  The 35S was released a couple of years ago.  It's okay for basic stuff but has a few bugs and shows why it's a bad idea to try to write a specification and have the development done on another continent.

                        Dave