Re: [midatlanticretro] M.A.I. IBM card punching machine

  • Sellam Ismail
    Message 1 of 29 , Jun 12, 2006
      On Mon, 12 Jun 2006, B Degnan wrote:

      > Ebay auction 8826376003
      >
      > A punch card machine from the 60's only an hour from the InfoAge
      > Museum. Right now it's $69.00...anyone interested?

      This is a re-badged IBM 026 printing punch. I've got one. They're very
      cool, and very old (they date from the late 1940s through the 1960s):

      http://www.columbia.edu/acis/history/026.html

      $69 would be a steal, but I suspect this will go for far more, and much
      more than that if that dick dkdkk gets in on the action.

      --

      Sellam Ismail Vintage Computer Festival

    • BOYD BORRILL
      Message 2 of 29 , Jun 13, 2006
        Mike;
        MAI stands for Management Assistance Corp. which was the second biggest leasor of IBM equipment in the world. The design and funcion of MAI-tagged card eqipment is the same as that used by IBM. I supervised the desagn of a major aattachment for the 400 and 700 series of Punched card accounting machines to dupoicate a new attachment which IBM had announced, in 1968/89. Lots of fun designing a box tol work in a noise environment where spikes of 600 volts were the norm, expecially when using 74xx-series of TTL logic and unprotected MOS shift regisers f0r memory. But, it worked and we sold MAIover 3000 of them at just under $3000 a pop.

        Ray

        B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:
        Ebay auction 8826376003

        A punch card machine from the 60's only an hour from the InfoAge
        Museum. Right now it's $69.00...anyone interested?

        Bill D

        -- E N D --

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/.7bhrC/MGxNAA/yQLSAA/S_NqlB/TM

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Pioneer Purveyor of Personal Processing Power
        Message 3 of 29 , Jun 14, 2006
          Bill and all,

          I'd ike to see this in our museum and I'm willing to bid on it, but we should not bid against each other. I'm willing to to put in $80 toward this item. Is anyone else already bidding? Is anyone willing to "pledge" more so we can bid and maybe win. Also, does anyone use one of those automatic bidding programs?

          Jim

          Message 4 of 29 , Jun 14, 2006
            Stop the presses!  Thanks to the legwork of Herb Johnson, I found out this morning that InfoAge supporter and Burroughs user Claude Kagan has an even older punch to donate to us.

            So we can let this eBay unit go...

            Message 5 of 29 , Jun 14, 2006
              All

              Here's what being in the group is all about - Teamwork.

              I work 15 miles from the punch.  I will pick it up and drop it off at Info Age next time I go there if we win.  I can also volunteer to "snipe" the auction Friday night. If I don't hear from anyone I will assume it's my job.

              I will put in $50, so that's a total of $130.

              The current price is $69.  Anyone else?
              If we win all donors will be required to pay the seller their pledged share directly into the seller's Paypal account. This way we don't have to collect from each other or have extra fees.  I am sure the seller won't mind as long as he gets his money.  If the total price is less than the amount we're willing to bid as a group, we can pay proportionally.  If it's more, we lose so it does not matter.  For example if we win and the sale is $69, Jim would be responsible for his share as follows:

              sale amount $69
              pledged amount $80.
              total pledges to date $130
              Jim's percentage of the total 80/130 = 61.5%
              Jim's contribution $69 * .615 = $42.46

              If someone wants to be the backup sniper, please contact me before Friday night with your phone number Friday night at ~11 PM edst.  Please contact me directly by email.

              Bill D

              Message 6 of 29 , Jun 14, 2006
                A key punch in the hand is worth two in the bush.  Jim/Evan/other donors - Should we bag this?  Is the other one a done deal? Herb?
                bd

                At 12:29 PM 6/14/2006 -0400, you wrote:

                Stop the presses!  Thanks to the legwork of Herb Johnson, I found out this morning that InfoAge supporter and Burroughs user Claude Kagan has an even older punch to donate to us.

                So we can let this eBay unit go...

                I'd ike to see this in our museum and I'm willing to bid on it, but we should not bid against each other. I'm willing to to put in $80 toward this item. Is anyone else already bidding? Is anyone willing to "pledge" more so we can bid and maybe win. Also, does anyone use one of those automatic bidding programs?

                Jim

                A punch card machine from the 60's only an hour from the InfoAge
                Museum. Right now it's $69.00...anyone interested?

                Bill D

                -- E N D --

                Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Mike Loewen
                Message 7 of 29 , Jun 14, 2006
                  On Wed, 14 Jun 2006, B. Degnan wrote:

                  > I work 15 miles from the punch. I will pick it up and drop it off at Info
                  > Age next time I go there if we win. I can also volunteer to "snipe" the
                  > auction Friday night. If I don't hear from anyone I will assume it's my job.

                  It doesn't matter, any how. dkdkk will bid over $1000 on it. :-(

                  Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                • Kelly Leavitt
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jun 14, 2006
                    Well, I'll throw in $40 just on the off chance we'll beat dkdkk. I have an account with stealthbid if we want to go that route. I'll pop in the bid at the last minute.

                    Kelly

                    Mike Loewen mloewen@... <mailto:mloewen%40cpumagic.scol.pa.us>
                    The Dixie Lion Jazz Band http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/dixie.html <http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/dixie.html>
                    The B9 Robot Builders Club B9-0014 http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/~mloewen/B9/ <http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/~mloewen/B9/>
                    Old Technology http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/ <http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/>
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jun 14, 2006
                      Guys, this is very generous, but really not necessary -- we're getting an
                      even older machine donated soon, thanks to Herb Johnson's work with Claude
                      Kagan. So while two machines is better than one, please don't spend too
                      much money on this second one.

                      Bill, Kelly, Mike, and Jim -- I cc'd you guys seperately in case the list
                      message is slow to post.

                      _____

                      yahoogroups.com on behalf of Mike Loewen
                      Sent: Wed 6/14/2006 4:47 PM
                      To: midatlanticretro@ <mailto:midatlanticretro%40yahoogroups.com>
                      yahoogroups.com
                      IBM card punching machine

                      On Wed, 14 Jun 2006, B. Degnan wrote:

                      > I work 15 miles from the punch. I will pick it up and drop it off at Info
                      > Age next time I go there if we win. I can also volunteer to "snipe" the
                      > auction Friday night. If I don't hear from anyone I will assume it's my
                      job.

                      It doesn't matter, any how. dkdkk will bid over $1000 on it. :-(

                      Mike Loewen mloewen@cpumagic. <mailto:mloewen%40cpumagic.scol.pa.us>
                      scol.pa.us <mailto:mloewen%40cpumagic.scol.pa.us>
                      The Dixie Lion Jazz Band http://ripsaw.
                      <http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/dixie.html> cac.psu.edu/dixie.html
                      <http://ripsaw. <http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/dixie.html>
                      cac.psu.edu/dixie.html>
                      The B9 Robot Builders Club B9-0014 http://ripsaw.
                      <http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/~mloewen/B9/> cac.psu.edu/~mloewen/B9/
                      <http://ripsaw. <http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/~mloewen/B9/>
                      cac.psu.edu/~mloewen/B9/>
                      Old Technology http://ripsaw. <http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/>
                      cac.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/ <http://ripsaw.
                      <http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/> cac.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/>
                    • William Donzelli
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jun 14, 2006
                        > Guys, this is very generous, but really not necessary -- we're getting an
                        > even older machine donated soon, thanks to Herb Johnson's work with Claude
                        > Kagan. So while two machines is better than one, please don't spend too
                        > much money on this second one.

                        A word of warning to the young MARCH...

                        It is always easy to get new hardware. It is everywhere - a Vax here, a
                        VIC there, and so forth. Before MARCH starts to drown in its own pile of
                        toys, put some written rules in place concerning what is accepted into the
                        collection, and STICK TO IT. Be disciplined about it, and be REALLY picky.
                        Quality always wins over quantity. Do not get items in duplicate, even
                        using the "spares" excuse.

                        Eventually the MARCH collection space will fill up - in fact, it will
                        probably happen much faster than you think. One day you will have a big
                        room with lots of space, and then the next day you will be eight feet deep
                        in beige. Then the heartaches happen - great artifacts will have to be
                        passed up simply due to space reasons. Getting rid of stuff is VERY
                        difficult, and can often result in stepped-on toes and hurt feelings.

                        I have seen it (and been part of it) at RCS and RICM and countless
                        personal collections. Even CHM is now in the same position of not having
                        space in abundance.

                        William Donzelli
                        aw288@...
                      • Herb Johnson
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jun 15, 2006
                          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, William Donzelli <aw288@...>
                          wrote:

                          > A word of warning to the young MARCH...
                          >
                          > It is always easy to get new hardware. It is everywhere - a Vax here, a
                          > VIC there, and so forth. Before MARCH starts to drown in its own pile of
                          > toys, put some written rules in place concerning what is accepted
                          into the
                          > collection, and STICK TO IT. Be disciplined about it, and be REALLY
                          picky....
                          > Eventually the MARCH collection space will fill up - in fact, it will
                          > probably happen much faster than you think.

                          I concurr with my friend and colleage of many years. A collection has
                          value to the extent it has some consistency and theme; that the items
                          are cataloged and accessable; and that they are of quality of some sort.

                          For instance, I've assumed that one consideration for the MARCH
                          collection at InfoAge was for items with a New Jersey connection. I
                          assumed InfoAge would encourage that consideration. It should not be a
                          restriction of course, MARCH is a regional organization - it's just a
                          consideration. So stuff from Bell Labs, or analog computers from EIA,
                          a NJ company, are reasonable items to consider.

                          Another consideration might be SIZE - since MARCH has more space, and
                          access to more electrical power, they can "afford" to grab some of the
                          mini and a FEW mainframe systems. Obviously this will self-limit very
                          quickly, and the big stuff should be obtained with a lot of
                          consideration, including who will restore and maintain it. This is
                          where Donzell's comment about "no duplicates" may come into play,
                          notwithstanding MY preference for spares and for parts trading. For my
                          goal for any computing item I have is to MAKE IT WORK.

                          But SPACE IS EVERYTHING. When stuff gets crammed up in storage, you
                          are in trouble. You lose track of what you have; you can't see it or
                          show it; you can't work on it. And if you can't find it or show it,
                          WHY HAVE IT? I'd strongly encourage the notion that a MARCH collection
                          must be ASSESSABLE in as many ways as possible. Via the Web, via
                          inventory lists, via documentation lists, on public display, working
                          or touchable or via simulation, etc. etc.

                          The best way to publicize and grow MARCH (and InfoAge) is by showing
                          what we have to as many people as possible, in as many ways as
                          possible. Policies that flow from that principle will provide some
                          good guidance, I believe.

                          Herb Johnson

                          Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
                        • mmelnick
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jun 15, 2006
                            how to I remove myself from this list? Im getting too many emails sorry

                            -matt

                          • John Allain
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jun 15, 2006
                              > Guys, this is very generous, but really not necessary -- we're getting an
                              > even older machine donated soon, thanks to Herb Johnson's work with Claude
                              > Kagan.

                              Just some good words about Claude Kagan. I hadn't heard of him prior to
                              this VCF, turns out he's as interesting historically as the HomeBrew
                              Computer Club, and pre-dated it, and the TCF, with his meetings of the
                              "R.E.S.I.S.T.O.R.S." * (see: http://www.resistors.org/ ) in Hopewell as far
                              back as 1967. Seems he obtained a mainframe, possibly from Western Electric
                              Labs, later Bell, where he worked, and let students learn about computing
                              from restoring/programming it. Don't miss the Trenton Times article
                              http://www.resistors.org/trentontimes.html

                              Claude at the VCF was carring an image of the "Piano-Electro-Reconer
                              (y.2889)" And I believe one of Eckert's own notebooks of circuit designs for
                              the Eniac.

                              * = Radically Emphatic Students Interested In Science, Technology or
                              Research Studies

                              May be old news to some, not to me.
                              Might be tempted to say 'Who needs the Smithsonian when you have friends
                              like this.' but not right now, we need the Smithsonian too.

                              John A.
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jun 15, 2006
                                Matt, just log in to the Yahoo Groups page (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midatlanticretro/) and click "edit membership" in the top left corner.  You may want to select the "web only" option so you can continue to be in our group but without getting drowned in email.  Or, considering routing MARCH messages to a different folder.  (That's what I do.)

                                Message 15 of 29 , Jun 15, 2006
                                  Yup, we're well aware of Claude, as is InfoAge overall.  Eventually his Burroughs computer could become part of the museum, but everyone involved thinks it's smart to wait until we / InfoAge are more advanced.

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jun 15, 2006
                                    On Wed, 14 Jun 2006, Jim Scheef wrote:

                                    > I'd ike to see this in our museum and I'm willing to bid on it, but we
                                    > should not bid against each other. I'm willing to to put in $80 toward
                                    > this item. Is anyone else already bidding? Is anyone willing to "pledge"
                                    > more so we can bid and maybe win. Also, does anyone use one of those
                                    > automatic bidding programs?

                                    I recommened StealthBid:

                                    http://www.stealthbid.com

                                    I use it by default for all eBay auctions. It makes it easier to manage
                                    them.

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jun 15, 2006
                                      On Wed, 14 Jun 2006, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                                      > Guys, this is very generous, but really not necessary -- we're getting an
                                      > even older machine donated soon, thanks to Herb Johnson's work with Claude
                                      > Kagan. So while two machines is better than one, please don't spend too
                                      > much money on this second one.

                                      You guys should still bid on the MAI 026. If you all chip in $200 then
                                      that would be a reasonable amount to pay. If the bidding goes higher
                                      (very likely) let it go since Claude will be giving you guys one (and it's
                                      not worth it to bid higher, especially when you're on a budget).

                                      What model is Claude offering? I can't imagine anything older than the
                                      026, so the one he has must be a real antique, and probably way more
                                      exciting than the 026.

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jun 15, 2006
                                        On Wed, 14 Jun 2006, William Donzelli wrote:

                                        > It is always easy to get new hardware. It is everywhere - a Vax here, a
                                        > VIC there, and so forth. Before MARCH starts to drown in its own pile of
                                        > toys, put some written rules in place concerning what is accepted into
                                        > the collection, and STICK TO IT. Be disciplined about it, and be REALLY
                                        > picky. Quality always wins over quantity. Do not get items in duplicate,
                                        > even using the "spares" excuse.

                                        I would second William's wise words. But I'd add a caveat: if you guys
                                        can get stuff for cheap or free that you don't necessarily want, it's a
                                        good way to get some extra cash for the club by selling them on eBay or
                                        the VCM. Make sure you let the donor know that you don't necessarily
                                        intend to keep what is donated.

                                        > I have seen it (and been part of it) at RCS and RICM and countless
                                        > personal collections. Even CHM is now in the same position of not having
                                        > space in abundance.

                                        I crossed that rubicon a long time ago :) But somehow I continue to find
                                        room. My latest acquisition will be a Burroughs L9000. I'm plucking it
                                        from Los Angeles this weekend. Ironically, I also got my Burroughs L7000
                                        from L.A. These seem to have had good market penetration in the L.A. area
                                        back in the days, though I'm not sure my sample of two is useful for
                                        extrapolation ;)

                                        Anyway, you guys should really pay attention to what William is telling
                                        you. You guys are already reaching critical mass.

                                        --

                                        Sellam Ismail Vintage Computer Festival

                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jun 15, 2006
                                          Looks like I was somewhat mistaken -- Claude's is also an 026.

                                          On Wed, 14 Jun 2006, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                                          > Guys, this is very generous, but really not necessary -- we're getting an
                                          > even older machine donated soon, thanks to Herb Johnson's work with Claude
                                          > Kagan. So while two machines is better than one, please don't spend too
                                          > much money on this second one.

                                          You guys should still bid on the MAI 026. If you all chip in $200 then
                                          that would be a reasonable amount to pay. If the bidding goes higher
                                          (very likely) let it go since Claude will be giving you guys one (and it's
                                          not worth it to bid higher, especially when you're on a budget).

                                          What model is Claude offering? I can't imagine anything older than the
                                          026, so the one he has must be a real antique, and probably way more
                                          exciting than the 026.

                                          --

                                          Sellam Ismail Vintage Computer Festival
                                          International Man of Intrigue and Danger http://www.vintage. org

                                          [ and academia at www.VintageTech. com || at http://marketplace. vintage.org ]

                                        • Sellam Ismail
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Jun 15, 2006
                                            On Thu, 15 Jun 2006, Herb Johnson wrote:

                                            > I concurr with my friend and colleage of many years. A collection has
                                            > value to the extent it has some consistency and theme; that the items
                                            > are cataloged and accessable; and that they are of quality of some sort.

                                            Your point about a collection having a theme is important. There are
                                            already enough people and organizations trying to collect the whole of
                                            computing history. You folks should make it your mission to highlight the
                                            history of computing on the Atlantic seaboard, which as we all know is
                                            long and deep and extremely important.

                                            The precedent for this would be CHAC, the Computer History Association of
                                            California. They limited their collection to computers and stuff that
                                            originated in Californa. A broad swath nonetheless to be sure, but they
                                            had a specific mission.

                                            > For instance, I've assumed that one consideration for the MARCH
                                            > collection at InfoAge was for items with a New Jersey connection. I

                                            Exactly.

                                            > assumed InfoAge would encourage that consideration. It should not be a
                                            > restriction of course, MARCH is a regional organization - it's just a
                                            > consideration. So stuff from Bell Labs, or analog computers from EIA,
                                            > a NJ company, are reasonable items to consider.

                                            If you include the Atlantic seaboard you bring into the fold Harvard, IAS,
                                            Moore School, Princeton, Cornell, DEC, etc. You folks would definitely
                                            want to highlight the local NJ area as that's your broadest constituency
                                            in terms of visitors.

                                            > The best way to publicize and grow MARCH (and InfoAge) is by showing
                                            > what we have to as many people as possible, in as many ways as
                                            > possible. Policies that flow from that principle will provide some
                                            > good guidance, I believe.

                                            I concur.

                                            Message 21 of 29 , Jun 15, 2006
                                              On Thu, 15 Jun 2006, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                                              > Looks like I was somewhat mistaken -- Claude's is also an 026.

                                              Take it! :)

                                              --

                                              Sellam Ismail Vintage Computer Festival

                                              Message 22 of 29 , Jun 15, 2006
                                                Relax, relax, it's ours now.

                                                We also have to pick up a table being saved for us in Clark.  Rather than renting an SUV or van ($$), anybody here want volunteer theirs for a day?

                                                Contact me off-list.

                                                Sellam, your SUV and truck don't count unless you will drive one across the country.   :)

                                                Message 23 of 29 , Jun 16, 2006
                                                  Matt,

                                                  There is an unsubscribe link at the bottom of every message. Use that if you must, but I prefer Evan's suggestion that you edit your membership to either forgo all emails (use the web interface to read messages) or switch to the daily digest. The digest is a single email that contains all of the messages from that day. One caveat regarding the digest: please NEVER reply to the digest without changing the subject line of your reply to match the thread on which you wish to comment. Also, as a courtesy, delete the superflous content of the original email. Personally I just delete any reply to the digest as I do not want to try to figure out what thread the person is replying to.

                                                  Jim

                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Jun 18, 2006

                                                    Sellam Ismail <sellam@...> wrote:
                                                    > Your point about a collection having a theme is important....
                                                    > You folks should make it your mission to highlight the
                                                    > history of computing on the Atlantic seaboard, which
                                                    > as we all know is
                                                    > long and deep and extremely important.

                                                    Of course the MARCH Board should lead this sort of discussion,
                                                    somewhere down the line. There are all sorts of issues about
                                                    collecting, and also I'm sure there are issues about MARCH's
                                                    relationship to InfoAge and their own intentions.

                                                    I'd like to see a new discusion thread on this, when Evan and others
                                                    are ready to chat about it. Certainly this thread is about done:
                                                    donations to bid on an eBay item already sold are kinda moot! ;)

                                                    Herb Johnson

                                                    Herbert R. Johnson, phone 609-771-1417, New Jersey USA
                                                  • Mike Loewen
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Jun 20, 2006
                                                      I have a pile of Rainbow Magazine for the TRS-80 Color Computers
                                                      available for the cost of shipping:

                                                      Dec 1984
                                                      Jan 1985, Mar - Nov 1985
                                                      Nov 1986
                                                      Feb - Dec 1987
                                                      Jan - Dec 1988
                                                      Jan - Dec 1989
                                                      Jan - Mar, May - Jun 1990

                                                      If anyone is interested in these, drop me a note, off list.

                                                      Mike Loewen mloewen@...