Semi-OT: InfoAge "Save the dish" campaign

    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 20, 2014
      MARCHins,

      InfoAge started a crowdfunding campaign to help restore the TIROS
      satellite dish. It's my opinion that we should all contribute!!!

      I think most of us already know about the dish. For those who don't: in
      the late 1950s, when InfoAge was the Signal Corps' "Camp Evans" R&D
      laboratory, there were two ** HUGE ** satellite dishes built a few
      hundred feet down the road from the main campus. Now there's only one.
      These were used as tracking stations for TIROS (the world's first
      weather satellite) and then for classified work.

      The modern InfoAge, working with Princeton U., has already done a lot of
      restoration work on the dish -- everything from painting it to getting
      its mechanics in good working order.

      Now they're looking to raise $75K to finish the job. This will pay for
      running electrical power to the site, restoring the inside to look as it
      did in the 50s/60s, etc., etc. .... speaking of which you should check
      out some original pictures here:
      http://www.campevans.org/_CE/html/tiros1-2.html.

      InfoAge's fundraising page is here:
      http://www.crowdrise.com/fundraise-and-volunteer/the-team/SavetheDish

      But you should use this other one: a MARCH page just for this purpose:
      http://www.crowdrise.com/SavetheDish/fundraiser/midatlanticretro

      There's also a really funny video there, courtesy of Dan J. and friends.

      I'll put in the first $20. MARCHins, please reach deep!
    • David Gesswein
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 20, 2014
        On Sun, Apr 20, 2014 at 12:24:48PM -0400, Evan Koblentz wrote:
        > MARCHins,
        >
        > InfoAge started a crowdfunding campaign to help restore the TIROS
        > satellite dish. It's my opinion that we should all contribute!!!

        Is there any way to donate without signing up for an acount with
        the site? Other donations I have done just let you use a credit card/paypal
        without signing up.

        I tried my google+ but I have no idea what it wanting to doing with
        Socialize.gigya.com would like to: Manage your contacts so I said no. I
        have no desire for it to do anything with my contact list.
      • Martin A Flynn
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 20, 2014
          On 4/20/2014 1:00 PM, David Gesswein wrote:

          On Sun, Apr 20, 2014 at 12:24:48PM -0400, Evan Koblentz wrote:
          > MARCHins,
          >
          > InfoAge started a crowdfunding campaign to help restore the TIROS
          > satellite dish. It's my opinion that we should all contribute!!!

          Is there any way to donate without signing up for an acount with
          the site? Other donations I have done just let you use a credit card/paypal
          without signing up.

          I tried my google+ but I have no idea what it wanting to doing with
          Socialize.gigya.com would like to: Manage your contacts so I said no. I
          have no desire for it to do anything with my contact list.

          __.
          Don't worry, it's just the donation platform harvesting your PI for resale:
          http://developers.gigya.com/037_API_reference/010_Socialize/socialize.getUserInfo

          Seriously, Head over to http://infoage.org/donate-join-volunteer/donate, and mark the donation as restricted - TIROS site work or something along those lines.

          Martin Flynn

          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 20, 2014
            >> Is there any way to donate without signing up for an acount with the site?

            I don’t know.
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 20, 2014
              >> Seriously, Head over to http://infoage.org/donate-join-volunteer/donate, and mark the donation as restricted - TIROS site work or something along those lines.

              In that case, mark is as "via MARCH" etc. so we get credit for it.

              I hate turning over private info too .... in this particular case I think it would be good to go with the flow and register on the Crowdwise site.
            • Dan Roganti
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 20, 2014

                On Sun, Apr 20, 2014 at 12:24 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
                MARCHins,

                InfoAge started a crowdfunding campaign to help restore the TIROS
                satellite dish. It's my opinion that we should all contribute!!!

                ​[snip]....

                ​ This >is< a great cause

                InfoAge's fundraising page is here:
                http://www.crowdrise.com/fundraise-and-volunteer/the-team/SavetheDish

                ​I went straight to this link that was posted directly by Infoage the other week
                And I didn't have to register a account on there, it's was guest access for me.
                at least on the InfoAge link it doesn't

                But you should use this other one: a MARCH page just for this purpose:
                http://www.crowdrise.com/SavetheDish/fundraiser/midatlanticretro

                ​I suppose you made this one too recently​
                I see there's several Donation Teams now each with their own webpages now on that main site.
                Not sure if this obfuscate the donation process or helps - seems safer to refer everyone to the same InfoAge link.

                There's also a really funny video there, courtesy of Dan J. and friends.

                ​that's a neat video....

                I'll put in the first $20. MARCHins, please reach deep!

                ​sounds like they could use some donation incentives, like a t-shirt :)​

                Dan

                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 20, 2014
                  >> And I didn't have to register a account on there, it's was guest access for me.
                  at least on the InfoAge link it doesn't

                  I don’t know how to set that up.

                  All the money goes to one place .... but we want MARCH to get credit!
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 20, 2014
                    We're off to a good start! Four people donated so far totalling $145.
                  • David Gesswein
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 20, 2014
                      On Sun, Apr 20, 2014 at 03:59:53PM -0400, Dan Roganti wrote:

                      > ???I went straight to this link that was posted directly by Infoage the other
                      > week
                      > http://www.crowdrise.com/SavetheDish/fundraiser/informationagelearni
                      > And I didn't have to register a account on there, it's was guest access for
                      > me. at least on the InfoAge link it doesn't
                      >
                      > On Sun, Apr 20, 2014 at 12:24 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > But you should use this other one: a MARCH page just for this purpose:
                      > > http://www.crowdrise.com/SavetheDish/fundraiser/midatlanticretro

                      Actually the march one doesn't require sign in. Operator confusion on the
                      first attempt.
                    • Dan Roganti
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 20, 2014

                        On Sun, Apr 20, 2014 at 4:06 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

                        >> And I didn't have to register a account on there, it's was guest access for me.
                        at least on the InfoAge link it doesn't

                        I don’t know how to set that up.

                        All the money goes to one place .... but we want MARCH to get credit!

                        ​oh ok, that's good
                        I doubt mine can be slid over to the March donation team​
                        I guess it's not a big deal
                        Dan

                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 20, 2014
                          >> I doubt mine can be slid over to the March donation team​ ...I guess it's not a big deal

                          I will check with the InfoAge volunteer who is managing the campaign.