OT: anyone into TI programmable calculators?

  • jeff_s_jonas
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 19, 2014
      Someone bought one of the 2 TI-80s I had on consignment so there's apparently some interest. Those are BASIC programmable.

      I have 3: TI-92 and 2 of the lab kits that make it into a multimeter. Recent ebay prices are too low for me to sell them so I may as well enjoy them. What clever uses do they have? I gotta show up those Ardu-weenies :-)

      Somehow a TI-55 got me thru undergrad college. I don't know how: it's just so WEAK and SLOW! I still have it just for nostalgia.

      Once I find a source for 3: "N" cells, my HP-28C shall overpower them all :-)
    • Michael Lee
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 19, 2014
        On 4/19/2014 11:51 PM, jeff_s_jonas@... wrote:
        > Someone bought one of the 2 TI-80s I had on consignment so there's
        > apparently some interest. Those are BASIC programmable.

        That was I. Mostly for nostalgia, but ultimately to fill in a hole in
        my collection with a mint in package TI-80. It was after my time, but
        the TI-81 was the first of the models in 1990 followed by the 82 and 85
        which I have each of. Many hours in math class programming them rather
        than pay attention of course. I do want a 92 at some point as it was a
        monster of a "calculator" but I did buy a 89 in college when they came out.

        While not the most interesting historically, they were a part of the
        90's school experience along with the fascination with multimedia
        learning, with uses and lesson plans sometimes seemingly forced to make
        use of "technology."

        On a side note, I did use a HP48g as a serial terminal, connected to a
        Hayes "pocket modem" via paperclips as well.
      • corey986
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 20, 2014
          Sorry, I'm only into HP.  For your 28C, which is rarer of the 28 series, when removing/installing the N cell batteries, be careful with the battery cover.  They tend to crack the edges on the 28 series.  My HP 28S is my daily calculator because you can view the stack on the screen and the fold over keyboard is very useful so I go though the N batteries often.  N batteries aren't cheap and I usually have to pay through the nose at RadioShack.  I guess when RadioShack finally goes out of business I guess I'll have to go to a camera store or something.

          Cheers,
          Corey

        • Randall Kindig
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 20, 2014
            Hi, Jeff,

            I definitely have a high interest in the TI programmable and have collected several so far: TI-82, TI-83, TI-86, PC-2, PC-3, PC-6, TI-58C, TI-59, TI-74, and TI-95!  Always looking to add to that.

            I had a TI-58C in college and have a strong affinity for the entire TI programmable line.

            I did a podcast episode on the TI-59 for Floppy Days.

            Randy Kindig
            host Floppy Days Podcast floppydays.com

            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 22, 2014
              On 04/20/2014 12:51 AM, jeff_s_jonas@... wrote:
              > Once I find a source for 3: "N" cells, my HP-28C shall overpower them
              > all :-)

              The 28C is a damn fine calculator; it's one of my "daily drivers". I
              had a 28S (same thing with more memory) but it keyboard has started to die.

              N cells are not at all difficult to find, BTW. I last bought a
              handful via Amazon.

              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
              New Kensington, PA
            • David Riley
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 22, 2014
                On Apr 20, 2014, at 7:34 AM, corey986 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                > Sorry, I'm only into HP. For your 28C, which is rarer of the 28 series, when removing/installing the N cell batteries, be careful with the battery cover. They tend to crack the edges on the 28 series. My HP 28S is my daily calculator because you can view the stack on the screen and the fold over keyboard is very useful so I go though the N batteries often. N batteries aren't cheap and I usually have to pay through the nose at RadioShack. I guess when RadioShack finally goes out of business I guess I'll have to go to a camera store or something.

                I'm not sure what your idea of "paying through the nose" is, but surely less than a dollar a piece (much less in quantity) should be acceptable?

                http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/E90/N147-ND/704824

                There are probably even cheaper places to get them; Digi-Key was just my first guess.

                - Dave
              • corey986
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 22, 2014
                  That's a heck of a lot less than radio shack. I never thought to check Digikey or Mouser for batteries.
                • Systems Glitch
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 22, 2014
                    > That's a heck of a lot less than radio shack. I never thought to check Digikey or Mouser for batteries.

                    Indeed, thanks for the tip! I've got a pair of Corvus calculators that might get used now!

                    Thanks,
                    Jonathan
                  • Wesley Furr
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 22, 2014
                      Check ebay too...one of the big advantages there is the often lower shipping rate...

                      Wesley

                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 22, 2014
                        Last time I ordered batteries on ebay for my handheld DSO, they took 3 weeks to arrive from China.   I'll stick with Digikey or Mouser and order some next time I make an order.  I just never thought about those guys for batteries.

                        Cheers,
                        Corey
                      • Wesley Furr
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 22, 2014
                          That works if you're not in a rush...I've gotten a number of odd little things from China.  You can also filter the search results to show only things in the USA...thus avoiding the super-long shipping times, and shipping rates are still often cheaper.  Thinking back to my small order the other day from Digikey...$2 worth of small and lightweight parts cost $3 to ship.  Arrived in a nice, large, and sturdy box, when a small padded mailer would have sufficed...  Granted, they have labor to consider, and want to make very sure your parts arrive safely...

                          Wesley