Lisa to a good home

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 23, 2005
      Bill's description of halting his Commodore project has convinced me that I
      need to be more realistic about my collection. I will never be able to make
      the Lisa work, but someone can probably use the parts to good advantage. Like
      the ADM 3A, the Lisa is free to a good home if you come and get it.

      There are probably other machines that I should give away as well. I need to
      do an inventory.

      Jim
    • Chris M
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 24, 2005
        Jim...I dont know your email, and Im not at a real
        computer at this moment, so if its still available, Id
        like it. Ive been looking for one for a while now.
        --- midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • billdeg@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 24, 2005
          Jim,
          What's wrong with the Lisa? Does it come up at all?

          Bill

          In a message dated 4/23/2005 11:05:02 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          jscheef@... writes:

          > Bill's description of halting his Commodore project has convinced me that I
          > need to be more realistic about my collection. I will never be able to make
          > the Lisa work, but someone can probably use the parts to good advantage.
          > Like
          > the ADM 3A, the Lisa is free to a good home if you come and get it.
          >
          > There are probably other machines that I should give away as well. I need
          > do an inventory.
          >
          > Jim
        • David V. Corbin
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 24, 2005

            >>>“Like the ADM 3A…”

            There is an ADM3a available???? Please contact me!!!!!

            David

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 24, 2005
              Hello everyone,

              I've had a surprising number of responses to my offer so here is more
              information. I just took a look at the Lisa which has been hidden in my
              basement, unmoved, for 10-12 years. It has one 3.5" floppy drive so it is not
              the original Lisa model. Beyond that, I have no idea as I do not remember
              ever opening it up (although Chi-Chi's web site had some good clues). All I
              saw just now was the main unit. The keyboard and mouse are somewhere, but I
              will need to dig. No, I didn't turn it on - I'm not crazy. You can do that
              after you clean, inside and out.

              Now, the following are my recollections (from 10-12 years ago) of my first
              (and last) testing of the Lisa: it did seem to boot and tried to display the
              desktop but you could barely see it. The video was bad then, so you can
              imagine what it's like now. Bad in this case means jittery and weak. This
              thing is far from pristine; you should expect that mice have lived in it.
              Have I made this sound grim enough? While someone might be able to resurrect
              this thing, I truly doubt it. If you want this to start your Apple collection
              (as I did), then I suggest that you look for another machine in better shape.
              If you have several Lisas and need parts to fix or improve them, then this
              might help.

              I live in western Connecticut, north of Danbury. It took me 3 1/2 hours to
              get to TCF last weekend after allowing for the fact that I went to the wrong
              location. Probable route from NJ - Jersy Tpk/I-95 north over GW to I-287 west
              to I-684 north to I-84 east to Rt. 7 north. There are variations, of course,
              using the Tappan Zee. You might want a map.

              Jim

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 24, 2005
                David,

                You need to pay more attention. Yes, same terms as the Lisa - good home, you
                pick it up. I just posted more info on the Lisa.

                Why would you want an ADM3A? (this is the good home part)

                Jim

                --- "David V. Corbin" <dvcorbin@...> wrote:

                > There is an ADM3a available???? Please contact me!!!!!
                >

                > David

              • Evan
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 24, 2005
                  Wow, I humbly bow out of contention for this one.  Requires far more work than I'm capable of right now.

                  However I can offer better driving directions.  LOL, I have a good friend in the same area Jim describes.  (Jim: my friend's in Brookfield, where are you?)

                  --- Jim Scheef <jscheef@...> wrote:
                  > Bill's description of halting his Commodore project has convinced
                  me that I
                  > need to be more realistic about my collection. I will never be
                  able to make
                  > the Lisa work, but someone can probably use the parts to
                  good advantage.
                  > Like
                  > the ADM 3A, the Lisa is free to a good home
                  if you come and get it.

                  > There are probably other machines that
                  I should give away as well. I need
                  > do an inventory.
                  >
                  > Jim

                • Chris M
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 24, 2005
                    Im not bowing out...Id love the challenge! But
                    apparently Jim has been overwhelmed with responses.
                    Havent heard from him *wink wink nudge nudge*
                    <evan947@...> wrote:
                    > Wow, I humbly bow out of contention for this one.
                    Requires far more work
                    > than I'm capable of right now.
                    >
                    > However I can offer better driving directions. LOL,
                    I have a good friend in
                    > the same area Jim describes. (Jim: my friend's in
                    Brookfield, where are
                    > you?)
                    >
                    > _____

                    Of Jim Scheef
                    > Sent: Sunday, April 24, 2005 12:05 PM
                    > To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                    > Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Lisa to a good home
                    >

                    > Hello everyone,
                    >
                    > I've had a surprising number of responses to my
                    offer so here is more
                    > information. I just took a look at the Lisa which
                    has been hidden in my
                    > basement, unmoved, for 10-12 years. It has one 3.5"
                    floppy drive so it is
                    > not
                    > the original Lisa model. Beyond that, I have no idea
                    as I do not remember
                    > ever opening it up (although Chi-Chi's web site had
                    some good clues). All I
                    > saw just now was the main unit. The keyboard and
                    mouse are somewhere, but I
                    > will need to dig. No, I didn't turn it on - I'm not
                    crazy. You can do that
                    > after you clean, inside and out.
                    >
                    > Now, the following are my recollections (from 10-12
                    years ago) of my first
                    > (and last) testing of the Lisa: it did seem to boot
                    and tried to display the
                    > desktop but you could barely see it. The video was
                    bad then, so you can
                    > imagine what it's like now. Bad in this case means
                    jittery and weak. This
                    > thing is far from pristine; you should expect that
                    mice have lived in it.
                    > Have I made this sound grim enough? While someone
                    might be able to resurrect
                    > this thing, I truly doubt it. If you want this to
                    start your Apple
                    > collection
                    > (as I did), then I suggest that you look for another
                    machine in better
                    > shape.
                    > If you have several Lisas and need parts to fix or
                    improve them, then this
                    > might help.
                    >
                    > I live in western Connecticut, north of Danbury. It
                    took me 3 1/2 hours to
                    > get to TCF last weekend after allowing for the fact
                    that I went to the wrong
                    > location. Probable route from NJ - Jersy Tpk/I-95
                    north over GW to I-287
                    > west
                    > to I-684 north to I-84 east to Rt. 7 north. There
                    are variations, of course,
                    > using the Tappan Zee. You might want a map.
                    >
                    > Jim
                    >

                    > --- Jim Scheef <jscheef@...> wrote:
                    > > Bill's description of halting his Commodore
                    project has convinced me that
                    > > need to be more realistic about my collection. I
                    will never be able to
                    > make
                    > > the Lisa work, but someone can probably use the
                    parts to good advantage.
                    > > Like
                    > > the ADM 3A, the Lisa is free to a good home if you
                    come and get it.

                    > > There are probably other machines that I should
                    give away as well. I need
                    > > do an inventory.
                    > >
                    > > Jim
                    > >

                    > _____