Re: IMSAI haul, continued

  • Mike Ladwig
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 10, 2006
      The board isn't from IMSAI, it's a third party bundle from ICOM. My IMSAI
      also came with most of the ICOM package (I'm missing the drive) that has this
      interface board and ICOM/FDOS documentation discussing the board. I have
      seen pictures of identical boards (presumably later) with "8800 Interface BD
      -- ICOM" screened onto it.

      It looks so much like the Altair floppy package, and with only the later
      boards mentioning ICOM, I suspect it was licensed.

      mike.

      > I think you may have some MITS boards, not IMSAI boards. "8800
      > interface" is typical MITS terminology. The earliest floppy
      > controllers did not use LSI (40-pin) controller chips as they did not
      > exist yet or were expensive. Check my MITS docs list on my site and
      > query me privately for more information if you wish. FDOS may well
      > preceed CP/M 1.4.
    • Herb Johnson
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 11, 2006
        Herb said:

        >> I think you may have some MITS boards, not IMSAI boards. "8800
        >> interface" is typical MITS terminology. The earliest floppy
        >> controllers did not use LSI (40-pin) controller chips as they did not
        >> exist yet or were expensive. Check my MITS docs list on my site and
        >> query me privately for more information if you wish. FDOS may well
        >> preceed CP/M 1.4.
        >

        > Mike Ladwig wrote:
        > The board isn't from IMSAI, it's a third party bundle from ICOM. My IMSAI
        > also came with most of the ICOM package (I'm missing the drive) that has this
        > interface board and ICOM/FDOS documentation discussing the board. I have
        > seen pictures of identical boards (presumably later) with "8800 Interface BD
        > -- ICOM" screened onto it.
        >
        > It looks so much like the Altair floppy package, and with only the later
        > boards mentioning ICOM, I suspect it was licensed.
        >
        > mike.

        Please inform me a bit more about ICOM. A quick Google reminds me that
        Pertec bought both MITS and ICOM. What did ICOM add to the MITS/S-100
        world? And of course pass this info on to Cini. Thanks!

        Herb Johnson

        --

        Herbert R. Johnson, phone 609-771-1417, New Jersey USA
      • Mike Ladwig
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 11, 2006
          AFAIK, iCOM was the first to advertise an S-100 floppy drive (Byte, Aug '76).
          Google reminds me that it was called the "Frugal Floppy". I don't recall any
          details, but I think ICOM, Pertec, and Altair had some very close
          relationship even before Pertec bought them - maybe they shared an assembly
          plant? Altair and ICOM also jointly developed and sold an all-in-one
          computer (Attache).

          mike.

          On Sunday 11 June 2006 15:40, you wrote:
          > Please inform me a bit more about ICOM. A quick Google reminds me that
          > Pertec bought both MITS and ICOM. What did ICOM add to the MITS/S-100
          > world? And of course pass this info on to Cini. Thanks!
          >
          > Herb Johnson
        • Richard A. Cini
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 11, 2006

            Interesting, I didn’t realize that ICOM was swept up into Pertec, although it seems to make the world of sense considering the ICOM system I have used the same FD400 drives that the Altair 88-DCDD setup did.

            Rich

            Rich Cini

            Collector of classic computers

            Lead engineer, Altair32 Emulator