RE: [midatlanticretro] Re: IMSAI haul, continued

  • Richard A. Cini
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 9, 2006

      Herb:

                  Although I agree with the terminology being consistent with MITS, I’m not aware of MITS producing this board. The ICOM manual I have has the schematics for the interface board in it and they don’t have a MITS copyright.

                  MITS’ floppy interface was the 88-DDCD I think.

      Rich

      Rich Cini

      Collector of classic computers

      Lead engineer, Altair32 Emulator

      Web site: http://highgate.comm.sfu.ca/~rcini/classiccmp/

      Web site: http://www.altair32.com/

      /***************************************************/

      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 10, 2006
        The board isn't from IMSAI, it's a third party bundle from ICOM. My IMSAI
        also came with most of the ICOM package (I'm missing the drive) that has this
        interface board and ICOM/FDOS documentation discussing the board. I have
        seen pictures of identical boards (presumably later) with "8800 Interface BD
        -- ICOM" screened onto it.

        It looks so much like the Altair floppy package, and with only the later
        boards mentioning ICOM, I suspect it was licensed.

        mike.

        > I think you may have some MITS boards, not IMSAI boards. "8800
        > interface" is typical MITS terminology. The earliest floppy
        > controllers did not use LSI (40-pin) controller chips as they did not
        > exist yet or were expensive. Check my MITS docs list on my site and
        > query me privately for more information if you wish. FDOS may well
        > preceed CP/M 1.4.
      • Herb Johnson
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 11, 2006
          Herb said:

          >> I think you may have some MITS boards, not IMSAI boards. "8800
          >> interface" is typical MITS terminology. The earliest floppy
          >> controllers did not use LSI (40-pin) controller chips as they did not
          >> exist yet or were expensive. Check my MITS docs list on my site and
          >> query me privately for more information if you wish. FDOS may well
          >> preceed CP/M 1.4.
          >

          > Mike Ladwig wrote:
          > The board isn't from IMSAI, it's a third party bundle from ICOM. My IMSAI
          > also came with most of the ICOM package (I'm missing the drive) that has this
          > interface board and ICOM/FDOS documentation discussing the board. I have
          > seen pictures of identical boards (presumably later) with "8800 Interface BD
          > -- ICOM" screened onto it.
          >
          > It looks so much like the Altair floppy package, and with only the later
          > boards mentioning ICOM, I suspect it was licensed.
          >
          > mike.

          Please inform me a bit more about ICOM. A quick Google reminds me that
          Pertec bought both MITS and ICOM. What did ICOM add to the MITS/S-100
          world? And of course pass this info on to Cini. Thanks!

          Herb Johnson

          --

          Herbert R. Johnson, phone 609-771-1417, New Jersey USA
        • Mike Ladwig
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 11, 2006
            AFAIK, iCOM was the first to advertise an S-100 floppy drive (Byte, Aug '76).
            Google reminds me that it was called the "Frugal Floppy". I don't recall any
            details, but I think ICOM, Pertec, and Altair had some very close
            relationship even before Pertec bought them - maybe they shared an assembly
            plant? Altair and ICOM also jointly developed and sold an all-in-one
            computer (Attache).

            mike.

            On Sunday 11 June 2006 15:40, you wrote:
            > Please inform me a bit more about ICOM. A quick Google reminds me that
            > Pertec bought both MITS and ICOM. What did ICOM add to the MITS/S-100
            > world? And of course pass this info on to Cini. Thanks!
            >
            > Herb Johnson
          • Richard A. Cini
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 11, 2006

              Interesting, I didn’t realize that ICOM was swept up into Pertec, although it seems to make the world of sense considering the ICOM system I have used the same FD400 drives that the Altair 88-DCDD setup did.