Re: IMSAI haul, continued

  • Herb Johnson
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 9, 2006
      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Richard A. Cini" <rcini@...>
      wrote:
      > I don't have a bootable copy of the FDOS (the Frugal Floppy DOS;
      > the OS that originally came with the system). I do have a few CP/M
      1.4 disks
      > (none a complete "master" but I'm in the process of building one
      from the
      > CP/M archive).
      >
      > The interface is called "8800 Interface" and is a bunch
      of 74xx
      > logic, a ROM and some RAM. There are no floppy controller chips
      (17xx, 827x,
      > other) anywhere to be found.
      >
      > Rich

      I think you may have some MITS boards, not IMSAI boards. "8800
      interface" is typical MITS terminology. The earliest floppy
      controllers did not use LSI (40-pin) controller chips as they did not
      exist yet or were expensive. Check my MITS docs list on my site and
      query me privately for more information if you wish. FDOS may well
      preceed CP/M 1.4.

      Herb Johnson

      Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
    • Richard A. Cini
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 9, 2006

        Herb:

                    Although I agree with the terminology being consistent with MITS, I’m not aware of MITS producing this board. The ICOM manual I have has the schematics for the interface board in it and they don’t have a MITS copyright.

                    MITS’ floppy interface was the 88-DDCD I think.

        Rich

        Rich Cini

        Collector of classic computers

        Lead engineer, Altair32 Emulator

        Web site: http://highgate.comm.sfu.ca/~rcini/classiccmp/

        Web site: http://www.altair32.com/

        /***************************************************/

        > I don't have a bootable copy of the FDOS (the Frugal Floppy DOS;
        > the OS that originally came with the system). I do have a few CP/M
        1.4 disks
        > (none a complete "master" but I'm in the process of building one
        from the
        > CP/M archive).
        >
        > The interface is called "8800 Interface" and is a bunch
        of 74xx
        > logic, a ROM and some RAM. There are no floppy controller chips
        (17xx, 827x,
        > other) anywhere to be found.
        >
        > Rich

        I think you may have some MITS boards, not IMSAI boards. "8800
        interface" is typical MITS terminology. The earliest floppy
        controllers did not use LSI (40-pin) controller chips as they did not
        exist yet or were expensive. Check my MITS docs list on my site and
        query me privately for more information if you wish. FDOS may well
        preceed CP/M 1.4.

        Herb Johnson

        Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA

      • Mike Ladwig
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 10, 2006
          The board isn't from IMSAI, it's a third party bundle from ICOM. My IMSAI
          also came with most of the ICOM package (I'm missing the drive) that has this
          interface board and ICOM/FDOS documentation discussing the board. I have
          seen pictures of identical boards (presumably later) with "8800 Interface BD
          -- ICOM" screened onto it.

          It looks so much like the Altair floppy package, and with only the later
          boards mentioning ICOM, I suspect it was licensed.

          mike.

          > I think you may have some MITS boards, not IMSAI boards. "8800
          > interface" is typical MITS terminology. The earliest floppy
          > controllers did not use LSI (40-pin) controller chips as they did not
          > exist yet or were expensive. Check my MITS docs list on my site and
          > query me privately for more information if you wish. FDOS may well
          > preceed CP/M 1.4.
        • Herb Johnson
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 11, 2006
            Herb said:

            >> I think you may have some MITS boards, not IMSAI boards. "8800
            >> interface" is typical MITS terminology. The earliest floppy
            >> controllers did not use LSI (40-pin) controller chips as they did not
            >> exist yet or were expensive. Check my MITS docs list on my site and
            >> query me privately for more information if you wish. FDOS may well
            >> preceed CP/M 1.4.
            >

            > Mike Ladwig wrote:
            > The board isn't from IMSAI, it's a third party bundle from ICOM. My IMSAI
            > also came with most of the ICOM package (I'm missing the drive) that has this
            > interface board and ICOM/FDOS documentation discussing the board. I have
            > seen pictures of identical boards (presumably later) with "8800 Interface BD
            > -- ICOM" screened onto it.
            >
            > It looks so much like the Altair floppy package, and with only the later
            > boards mentioning ICOM, I suspect it was licensed.
            >
            > mike.

            Please inform me a bit more about ICOM. A quick Google reminds me that
            Pertec bought both MITS and ICOM. What did ICOM add to the MITS/S-100
            world? And of course pass this info on to Cini. Thanks!

            Herb Johnson

            --

            Herbert R. Johnson, phone 609-771-1417, New Jersey USA
          • Mike Ladwig
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 11, 2006
              AFAIK, iCOM was the first to advertise an S-100 floppy drive (Byte, Aug '76).
              Google reminds me that it was called the "Frugal Floppy". I don't recall any
              details, but I think ICOM, Pertec, and Altair had some very close
              relationship even before Pertec bought them - maybe they shared an assembly
              plant? Altair and ICOM also jointly developed and sold an all-in-one
              computer (Attache).

              mike.

              On Sunday 11 June 2006 15:40, you wrote:
              > Please inform me a bit more about ICOM. A quick Google reminds me that
              > Pertec bought both MITS and ICOM. What did ICOM add to the MITS/S-100
              > world? And of course pass this info on to Cini. Thanks!
              >
              > Herb Johnson
            • Richard A. Cini
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 11, 2006

                Interesting, I didn’t realize that ICOM was swept up into Pertec, although it seems to make the world of sense considering the ICOM system I have used the same FD400 drives that the Altair 88-DCDD setup did.