RE: [midatlanticretro] Re: IMSAI haul, continued

    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 8, 2006
      I have a lot of IMSAI disks, I will check to see what I have. They
      are all 5 1/4"
      Bill

      At Thursday, 08 June 2006, you wrote:

      >Herb:

      >don’t have a bootable copy of the FDOS (the Frugal Floppy DOS; the OS
      >that originally came with the system). I do have a few CP/M 1.4
      disks (none a
      >complete “master” but I’m in the process of building one from
      >the CP/M archive). I have some disks labeled CP/M 2.2 but none of
      them appear
      >to boot. From what the sender tells me, he sent me whatever 8” disks he
      >had, which included disks from various systems.
      >

      >            The
      >interface is called “8800 Interface” and is a bunch of 74xx logic,
      >a ROM and some RAM. There are no floppy controller chips (17xx,
      827x, other)
      >anywhere to be found.
      >

      >Rich
      >

      >Rich Cini
      >
      >Collector of classic computers
      >
      >Lead engineer, Altair32 Emulator
      >
      >Web site: http://highgate.comm.sfu.ca/~rcini/classiccmp/
      >
      >Web site: http://www.altair32.com/%c2%a0
      >
      >/***************************************************/

      com] On Behalf Of Herb Johnson
      >Sent: Thursday, June 08, 2006 6:32
      >PM
      >To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [midatlanticretro] Re:
      >IMSAI haul, continued
      >

      >--- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com,
      >"Richard A. Cini" <rcini@...>
      >wrote:
      >
      >> UPS today brought two boxes from my friend in Arizona, filled
      >> with more stuff for the IMSAI system he sent me. Among the stuff is
      >> FD400 floppy drives....I've also been told this
      >> person has another complete dual-drive ICOM system he's
      >> going to be sending.
      >
      >Rich, I've been discussing in comp.os.cpm the role of IMSAI in
      >developing CP/M 1.4; it appears that CP/M 1.3 became IMDOS 2.0. From
      >your archives or from this recent haul, what do you have of these
      >earliest OS's or docs about them? And out of curiousity, what floppy
      >controllers were in this haul, as the key changes in early CP/M and
      >IMDOS were about floppy support?
      >
      >Herb Johnson
      >
      >Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
      >web site</a>
      >domain mirror</a>
      >my email address: hjohnson AAT retrotechnology DOTT com
      >if no reply, try in a few days: herbjohnson ATT comcast DOTT net
      >"Herb's Stuff": old Mac, SGI, 8-inch floppy drives
      >S-100 IMSAI Altair computers, docs, by "Dr. S-100"

      -- E N D --
    • Herb Johnson
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 9, 2006
        wrote:
        > I don't have a bootable copy of the FDOS (the Frugal Floppy DOS;
        > the OS that originally came with the system). I do have a few CP/M
        1.4 disks
        > (none a complete "master" but I'm in the process of building one
        from the
        > CP/M archive).
        >
        > The interface is called "8800 Interface" and is a bunch
        of 74xx
        > logic, a ROM and some RAM. There are no floppy controller chips
        (17xx, 827x,
        > other) anywhere to be found.
        >
        > Rich

        I think you may have some MITS boards, not IMSAI boards. "8800
        interface" is typical MITS terminology. The earliest floppy
        controllers did not use LSI (40-pin) controller chips as they did not
        exist yet or were expensive. Check my MITS docs list on my site and
        query me privately for more information if you wish. FDOS may well
        preceed CP/M 1.4.

        Herb Johnson

        Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
      • Richard A. Cini
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 9, 2006

          Herb:

                      Although I agree with the terminology being consistent with MITS, I’m not aware of MITS producing this board. The ICOM manual I have has the schematics for the interface board in it and they don’t have a MITS copyright.

                      MITS’ floppy interface was the 88-DDCD I think.

          Rich

          Rich Cini

          Collector of classic computers

          Lead engineer, Altair32 Emulator

          Web site: http://highgate.comm.sfu.ca/~rcini/classiccmp/

          Web site: http://www.altair32.com/

          /***************************************************/

          > I don't have a bootable copy of the FDOS (the Frugal Floppy DOS;
          > the OS that originally came with the system). I do have a few CP/M
          1.4 disks
          > (none a complete "master" but I'm in the process of building one
          from the
          > CP/M archive).
          >
          > The interface is called "8800 Interface" and is a bunch
          of 74xx
          > logic, a ROM and some RAM. There are no floppy controller chips
          (17xx, 827x,
          > other) anywhere to be found.
          >
          > Rich

          I think you may have some MITS boards, not IMSAI boards. "8800
          interface" is typical MITS terminology. The earliest floppy
          controllers did not use LSI (40-pin) controller chips as they did not
          exist yet or were expensive. Check my MITS docs list on my site and
          query me privately for more information if you wish. FDOS may well
          preceed CP/M 1.4.

          Herb Johnson

          Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA

        • Mike Ladwig
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 10, 2006
            The board isn't from IMSAI, it's a third party bundle from ICOM. My IMSAI
            also came with most of the ICOM package (I'm missing the drive) that has this
            interface board and ICOM/FDOS documentation discussing the board. I have
            seen pictures of identical boards (presumably later) with "8800 Interface BD
            -- ICOM" screened onto it.

            It looks so much like the Altair floppy package, and with only the later
            boards mentioning ICOM, I suspect it was licensed.

            mike.

            > I think you may have some MITS boards, not IMSAI boards. "8800
            > interface" is typical MITS terminology. The earliest floppy
            > controllers did not use LSI (40-pin) controller chips as they did not
            > exist yet or were expensive. Check my MITS docs list on my site and
            > query me privately for more information if you wish. FDOS may well
            > preceed CP/M 1.4.
          • Herb Johnson
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 11, 2006
              Herb said:

              >> I think you may have some MITS boards, not IMSAI boards. "8800
              >> interface" is typical MITS terminology. The earliest floppy
              >> controllers did not use LSI (40-pin) controller chips as they did not
              >> exist yet or were expensive. Check my MITS docs list on my site and
              >> query me privately for more information if you wish. FDOS may well
              >> preceed CP/M 1.4.
              >

              > Mike Ladwig wrote:
              > The board isn't from IMSAI, it's a third party bundle from ICOM. My IMSAI
              > also came with most of the ICOM package (I'm missing the drive) that has this
              > interface board and ICOM/FDOS documentation discussing the board. I have
              > seen pictures of identical boards (presumably later) with "8800 Interface BD
              > -- ICOM" screened onto it.
              >
              > It looks so much like the Altair floppy package, and with only the later
              > boards mentioning ICOM, I suspect it was licensed.
              >
              > mike.

              Please inform me a bit more about ICOM. A quick Google reminds me that
              Pertec bought both MITS and ICOM. What did ICOM add to the MITS/S-100
              world? And of course pass this info on to Cini. Thanks!

              Herb Johnson

              --

              Herbert R. Johnson, phone 609-771-1417, New Jersey USA
            • Mike Ladwig
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 11, 2006
                AFAIK, iCOM was the first to advertise an S-100 floppy drive (Byte, Aug '76).
                Google reminds me that it was called the "Frugal Floppy". I don't recall any
                details, but I think ICOM, Pertec, and Altair had some very close
                relationship even before Pertec bought them - maybe they shared an assembly
                plant? Altair and ICOM also jointly developed and sold an all-in-one
                computer (Attache).

                mike.

                On Sunday 11 June 2006 15:40, you wrote:
                > Please inform me a bit more about ICOM. A quick Google reminds me that
                > Pertec bought both MITS and ICOM. What did ICOM add to the MITS/S-100
                > world? And of course pass this info on to Cini. Thanks!
                >
                > Herb Johnson
              • Richard A. Cini
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 11, 2006

                  Interesting, I didn’t realize that ICOM was swept up into Pertec, although it seems to make the world of sense considering the ICOM system I have used the same FD400 drives that the Altair 88-DCDD setup did.