RE: [midatlanticretro] Re: IMSAI haul, continued

  • Richard A. Cini
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 8, 2006

      Herb:

                  I don’t have a bootable copy of the FDOS (the Frugal Floppy DOS; the OS that originally came with the system). I do have a few CP/M 1.4 disks (none a complete “master” but I’m in the process of building one from the CP/M archive). I have some disks labeled CP/M 2.2 but none of them appear to boot. From what the sender tells me, he sent me whatever 8” disks he had, which included disks from various systems.

                  The interface is called “8800 Interface” and is a bunch of 74xx logic, a ROM and some RAM. There are no floppy controller chips (17xx, 827x, other) anywhere to be found.

      Rich

      Rich Cini

      Collector of classic computers

      Lead engineer, Altair32 Emulator

      Web site: http://highgate.comm.sfu.ca/~rcini/classiccmp/

      Web site: http://www.altair32.com/

      /***************************************************/

      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 8, 2006
        I have a lot of IMSAI disks, I will check to see what I have. They
        are all 5 1/4"
        Bill

        -- E N D --
      • Herb Johnson
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 9, 2006
          wrote:
          > I don't have a bootable copy of the FDOS (the Frugal Floppy DOS;
          > the OS that originally came with the system). I do have a few CP/M
          1.4 disks
          > (none a complete "master" but I'm in the process of building one
          from the
          > CP/M archive).
          >
          > The interface is called "8800 Interface" and is a bunch
          of 74xx
          > logic, a ROM and some RAM. There are no floppy controller chips
          (17xx, 827x,
          > other) anywhere to be found.
          >
          > Rich

          I think you may have some MITS boards, not IMSAI boards. "8800
          interface" is typical MITS terminology. The earliest floppy
          controllers did not use LSI (40-pin) controller chips as they did not
          exist yet or were expensive. Check my MITS docs list on my site and
          query me privately for more information if you wish. FDOS may well
          preceed CP/M 1.4.

          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 9, 2006

            Herb:

                        Although I agree with the terminology being consistent with MITS, I’m not aware of MITS producing this board. The ICOM manual I have has the schematics for the interface board in it and they don’t have a MITS copyright.

                        MITS’ floppy interface was the 88-DDCD I think.

            Rich

            Rich Cini

            Collector of classic computers

            Lead engineer, Altair32 Emulator

            Web site: http://highgate.comm.sfu.ca/~rcini/classiccmp/

            Web site: http://www.altair32.com/

            /***************************************************/

            > I don't have a bootable copy of the FDOS (the Frugal Floppy DOS;
            > the OS that originally came with the system). I do have a few CP/M
            1.4 disks
            > (none a complete "master" but I'm in the process of building one
            from the
            > CP/M archive).
            >
            > The interface is called "8800 Interface" and is a bunch
            of 74xx
            > logic, a ROM and some RAM. There are no floppy controller chips
            (17xx, 827x,
            > other) anywhere to be found.
            >
            > Rich

            I think you may have some MITS boards, not IMSAI boards. "8800
            interface" is typical MITS terminology. The earliest floppy
            controllers did not use LSI (40-pin) controller chips as they did not
            exist yet or were expensive. Check my MITS docs list on my site and
            query me privately for more information if you wish. FDOS may well
            preceed CP/M 1.4.

            Herb Johnson

            Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA

          • Mike Ladwig
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 10, 2006
              The board isn't from IMSAI, it's a third party bundle from ICOM. My IMSAI
              also came with most of the ICOM package (I'm missing the drive) that has this
              interface board and ICOM/FDOS documentation discussing the board. I have
              seen pictures of identical boards (presumably later) with "8800 Interface BD
              -- ICOM" screened onto it.

              It looks so much like the Altair floppy package, and with only the later
              boards mentioning ICOM, I suspect it was licensed.

              mike.

              > I think you may have some MITS boards, not IMSAI boards. "8800
              > interface" is typical MITS terminology. The earliest floppy
              > controllers did not use LSI (40-pin) controller chips as they did not
              > exist yet or were expensive. Check my MITS docs list on my site and
              > query me privately for more information if you wish. FDOS may well
              > preceed CP/M 1.4.
            • Herb Johnson
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 11, 2006
                Herb said:

                >> I think you may have some MITS boards, not IMSAI boards. "8800
                >> interface" is typical MITS terminology. The earliest floppy
                >> controllers did not use LSI (40-pin) controller chips as they did not
                >> exist yet or were expensive. Check my MITS docs list on my site and
                >> query me privately for more information if you wish. FDOS may well
                >> preceed CP/M 1.4.
                >

                > Mike Ladwig wrote:
                > The board isn't from IMSAI, it's a third party bundle from ICOM. My IMSAI
                > also came with most of the ICOM package (I'm missing the drive) that has this
                > interface board and ICOM/FDOS documentation discussing the board. I have
                > seen pictures of identical boards (presumably later) with "8800 Interface BD
                > -- ICOM" screened onto it.
                >
                > It looks so much like the Altair floppy package, and with only the later
                > boards mentioning ICOM, I suspect it was licensed.
                >
                > mike.

                Please inform me a bit more about ICOM. A quick Google reminds me that
                Pertec bought both MITS and ICOM. What did ICOM add to the MITS/S-100
                world? And of course pass this info on to Cini. Thanks!

                Herb Johnson

                --

                Herbert R. Johnson, phone 609-771-1417, New Jersey USA
              • Mike Ladwig
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 11, 2006
                  AFAIK, iCOM was the first to advertise an S-100 floppy drive (Byte, Aug '76).
                  Google reminds me that it was called the "Frugal Floppy". I don't recall any
                  details, but I think ICOM, Pertec, and Altair had some very close
                  relationship even before Pertec bought them - maybe they shared an assembly
                  plant? Altair and ICOM also jointly developed and sold an all-in-one
                  computer (Attache).

                  mike.

                  On Sunday 11 June 2006 15:40, you wrote:
                  > Please inform me a bit more about ICOM. A quick Google reminds me that
                  > Pertec bought both MITS and ICOM. What did ICOM add to the MITS/S-100
                  > world? And of course pass this info on to Cini. Thanks!
                  >
                  > Herb Johnson
                • Richard A. Cini
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 11, 2006

                    Interesting, I didn’t realize that ICOM was swept up into Pertec, although it seems to make the world of sense considering the ICOM system I have used the same FD400 drives that the Altair 88-DCDD setup did.