Re: IMSAI haul, continued

  • Herb Johnson
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 8, 2006
      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Richard A. Cini" <rcini@...>
      wrote:

      > UPS today brought two boxes from my friend in Arizona, filled
      > with more stuff for the IMSAI system he sent me. Among the stuff is
      > FD400 floppy drives....I've also been told this
      > person has another complete dual-drive ICOM system he's
      > going to be sending.

      Rich, I've been discussing in comp.os.cpm the role of IMSAI in
      developing CP/M 1.4; it appears that CP/M 1.3 became IMDOS 2.0. From
      your archives or from this recent haul, what do you have of these
      earliest OS's or docs about them? And out of curiousity, what floppy
      controllers were in this haul, as the key changes in early CP/M and
      IMDOS were about floppy support?

      Herb Johnson

      Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
    • Richard A. Cini
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 8, 2006

        Herb:

                    I don’t have a bootable copy of the FDOS (the Frugal Floppy DOS; the OS that originally came with the system). I do have a few CP/M 1.4 disks (none a complete “master” but I’m in the process of building one from the CP/M archive). I have some disks labeled CP/M 2.2 but none of them appear to boot. From what the sender tells me, he sent me whatever 8” disks he had, which included disks from various systems.

                    The interface is called “8800 Interface” and is a bunch of 74xx logic, a ROM and some RAM. There are no floppy controller chips (17xx, 827x, other) anywhere to be found.

        Rich

        Rich Cini

        Collector of classic computers

        Lead engineer, Altair32 Emulator

        Web site: http://highgate.comm.sfu.ca/~rcini/classiccmp/

        Web site: http://www.altair32.com/

        /***************************************************/

        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 8, 2006
          I have a lot of IMSAI disks, I will check to see what I have. They
          are all 5 1/4"
          Bill

          -- E N D --
        • Herb Johnson
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 9, 2006
            wrote:
            > I don't have a bootable copy of the FDOS (the Frugal Floppy DOS;
            > the OS that originally came with the system). I do have a few CP/M
            1.4 disks
            > (none a complete "master" but I'm in the process of building one
            from the
            > CP/M archive).
            >
            > The interface is called "8800 Interface" and is a bunch
            of 74xx
            > logic, a ROM and some RAM. There are no floppy controller chips
            (17xx, 827x,
            > other) anywhere to be found.
            >
            > Rich

            I think you may have some MITS boards, not IMSAI boards. "8800
            interface" is typical MITS terminology. The earliest floppy
            controllers did not use LSI (40-pin) controller chips as they did not
            exist yet or were expensive. Check my MITS docs list on my site and
            query me privately for more information if you wish. FDOS may well
            preceed CP/M 1.4.

            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 9, 2006

              Herb:

                          Although I agree with the terminology being consistent with MITS, I’m not aware of MITS producing this board. The ICOM manual I have has the schematics for the interface board in it and they don’t have a MITS copyright.

                          MITS’ floppy interface was the 88-DDCD I think.

              Rich

              Rich Cini

              Collector of classic computers

              Lead engineer, Altair32 Emulator

              Web site: http://highgate.comm.sfu.ca/~rcini/classiccmp/

              Web site: http://www.altair32.com/

              /***************************************************/

              > I don't have a bootable copy of the FDOS (the Frugal Floppy DOS;
              > the OS that originally came with the system). I do have a few CP/M
              1.4 disks
              > (none a complete "master" but I'm in the process of building one
              from the
              > CP/M archive).
              >
              > The interface is called "8800 Interface" and is a bunch
              of 74xx
              > logic, a ROM and some RAM. There are no floppy controller chips
              (17xx, 827x,
              > other) anywhere to be found.
              >
              > Rich

              I think you may have some MITS boards, not IMSAI boards. "8800
              interface" is typical MITS terminology. The earliest floppy
              controllers did not use LSI (40-pin) controller chips as they did not
              exist yet or were expensive. Check my MITS docs list on my site and
              query me privately for more information if you wish. FDOS may well
              preceed CP/M 1.4.

              Herb Johnson

              Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA

            • Mike Ladwig
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 10, 2006
                The board isn't from IMSAI, it's a third party bundle from ICOM. My IMSAI
                also came with most of the ICOM package (I'm missing the drive) that has this
                interface board and ICOM/FDOS documentation discussing the board. I have
                seen pictures of identical boards (presumably later) with "8800 Interface BD
                -- ICOM" screened onto it.

                It looks so much like the Altair floppy package, and with only the later
                boards mentioning ICOM, I suspect it was licensed.

                mike.

                > I think you may have some MITS boards, not IMSAI boards. "8800
                > interface" is typical MITS terminology. The earliest floppy
                > controllers did not use LSI (40-pin) controller chips as they did not
                > exist yet or were expensive. Check my MITS docs list on my site and
                > query me privately for more information if you wish. FDOS may well
                > preceed CP/M 1.4.
              • Herb Johnson
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 11, 2006
                  Herb said:

                  >> I think you may have some MITS boards, not IMSAI boards. "8800
                  >> interface" is typical MITS terminology. The earliest floppy
                  >> controllers did not use LSI (40-pin) controller chips as they did not
                  >> exist yet or were expensive. Check my MITS docs list on my site and
                  >> query me privately for more information if you wish. FDOS may well
                  >> preceed CP/M 1.4.
                  >

                  > Mike Ladwig wrote:
                  > The board isn't from IMSAI, it's a third party bundle from ICOM. My IMSAI
                  > also came with most of the ICOM package (I'm missing the drive) that has this
                  > interface board and ICOM/FDOS documentation discussing the board. I have
                  > seen pictures of identical boards (presumably later) with "8800 Interface BD
                  > -- ICOM" screened onto it.
                  >
                  > It looks so much like the Altair floppy package, and with only the later
                  > boards mentioning ICOM, I suspect it was licensed.
                  >
                  > mike.

                  Please inform me a bit more about ICOM. A quick Google reminds me that
                  Pertec bought both MITS and ICOM. What did ICOM add to the MITS/S-100
                  world? And of course pass this info on to Cini. Thanks!

                  Herb Johnson

                  --

                  Herbert R. Johnson, phone 609-771-1417, New Jersey USA
                • Mike Ladwig
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 11, 2006
                    AFAIK, iCOM was the first to advertise an S-100 floppy drive (Byte, Aug '76).
                    Google reminds me that it was called the "Frugal Floppy". I don't recall any
                    details, but I think ICOM, Pertec, and Altair had some very close
                    relationship even before Pertec bought them - maybe they shared an assembly
                    plant? Altair and ICOM also jointly developed and sold an all-in-one
                    computer (Attache).

                    mike.

                    On Sunday 11 June 2006 15:40, you wrote:
                    > Please inform me a bit more about ICOM. A quick Google reminds me that
                    > Pertec bought both MITS and ICOM. What did ICOM add to the MITS/S-100
                    > world? And of course pass this info on to Cini. Thanks!
                    >
                    > Herb Johnson
                  • Richard A. Cini
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 11, 2006

                      Interesting, I didn’t realize that ICOM was swept up into Pertec, although it seems to make the world of sense considering the ICOM system I have used the same FD400 drives that the Altair 88-DCDD setup did.