Re: IMSAI haul, continued

  • Mike Ladwig
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 8, 2006
      > Now maybe with the arrival of two spare floppy drives I have
      > a shot to getting the dual-drive system on-line. I ve also been told this
      > person has another complete dual-drive ICOM system he s going to be
      > sending.

      Complete matching sets are very good - lucky you! I've been trying to get
      floppies on my IMSAI working for a while, mostly because I'm trying to piece
      one together out of mismatched parts. My system originally had a dual-drive
      ICOM floppy system but the only surviving parts are the manuals and the
      controller board.
    • Herb Johnson
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 8, 2006
        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Richard A. Cini" <rcini@...>
        wrote:

        > UPS today brought two boxes from my friend in Arizona, filled
        > with more stuff for the IMSAI system he sent me. Among the stuff is
        > FD400 floppy drives....I've also been told this
        > person has another complete dual-drive ICOM system he's
        > going to be sending.

        Rich, I've been discussing in comp.os.cpm the role of IMSAI in
        developing CP/M 1.4; it appears that CP/M 1.3 became IMDOS 2.0. From
        your archives or from this recent haul, what do you have of these
        earliest OS's or docs about them? And out of curiousity, what floppy
        controllers were in this haul, as the key changes in early CP/M and
        IMDOS were about floppy support?

        Herb Johnson

        Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
      • Richard A. Cini
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 8, 2006

          Herb:

                      I don’t have a bootable copy of the FDOS (the Frugal Floppy DOS; the OS that originally came with the system). I do have a few CP/M 1.4 disks (none a complete “master” but I’m in the process of building one from the CP/M archive). I have some disks labeled CP/M 2.2 but none of them appear to boot. From what the sender tells me, he sent me whatever 8” disks he had, which included disks from various systems.

                      The interface is called “8800 Interface” and is a bunch of 74xx logic, a ROM and some RAM. There are no floppy controller chips (17xx, 827x, other) anywhere to be found.

          Rich

          Rich Cini

          Collector of classic computers

          Lead engineer, Altair32 Emulator

          Web site: http://highgate.comm.sfu.ca/~rcini/classiccmp/

          Web site: http://www.altair32.com/

          /***************************************************/

          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 8, 2006
            I have a lot of IMSAI disks, I will check to see what I have. They
            are all 5 1/4"
            Bill

            -- E N D --
          • Herb Johnson
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 9, 2006
              wrote:
              > I don't have a bootable copy of the FDOS (the Frugal Floppy DOS;
              > the OS that originally came with the system). I do have a few CP/M
              1.4 disks
              > (none a complete "master" but I'm in the process of building one
              from the
              > CP/M archive).
              >
              > The interface is called "8800 Interface" and is a bunch
              of 74xx
              > logic, a ROM and some RAM. There are no floppy controller chips
              (17xx, 827x,
              > other) anywhere to be found.
              >
              > Rich

              I think you may have some MITS boards, not IMSAI boards. "8800
              interface" is typical MITS terminology. The earliest floppy
              controllers did not use LSI (40-pin) controller chips as they did not
              exist yet or were expensive. Check my MITS docs list on my site and
              query me privately for more information if you wish. FDOS may well
              preceed CP/M 1.4.

              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 9, 2006

                Herb:

                            Although I agree with the terminology being consistent with MITS, I’m not aware of MITS producing this board. The ICOM manual I have has the schematics for the interface board in it and they don’t have a MITS copyright.

                            MITS’ floppy interface was the 88-DDCD I think.

                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 10, 2006
                  The board isn't from IMSAI, it's a third party bundle from ICOM. My IMSAI
                  also came with most of the ICOM package (I'm missing the drive) that has this
                  interface board and ICOM/FDOS documentation discussing the board. I have
                  seen pictures of identical boards (presumably later) with "8800 Interface BD
                  -- ICOM" screened onto it.

                  It looks so much like the Altair floppy package, and with only the later
                  boards mentioning ICOM, I suspect it was licensed.

                  mike.

                  > I think you may have some MITS boards, not IMSAI boards. "8800
                  > interface" is typical MITS terminology. The earliest floppy
                  > controllers did not use LSI (40-pin) controller chips as they did not
                  > exist yet or were expensive. Check my MITS docs list on my site and
                  > query me privately for more information if you wish. FDOS may well
                  > preceed CP/M 1.4.
                • Herb Johnson
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 11, 2006
                    Herb said:

                    >> I think you may have some MITS boards, not IMSAI boards. "8800
                    >> interface" is typical MITS terminology. The earliest floppy
                    >> controllers did not use LSI (40-pin) controller chips as they did not
                    >> exist yet or were expensive. Check my MITS docs list on my site and
                    >> query me privately for more information if you wish. FDOS may well
                    >> preceed CP/M 1.4.
                    >

                    > Mike Ladwig wrote:
                    > The board isn't from IMSAI, it's a third party bundle from ICOM. My IMSAI
                    > also came with most of the ICOM package (I'm missing the drive) that has this
                    > interface board and ICOM/FDOS documentation discussing the board. I have
                    > seen pictures of identical boards (presumably later) with "8800 Interface BD
                    > -- ICOM" screened onto it.
                    >
                    > It looks so much like the Altair floppy package, and with only the later
                    > boards mentioning ICOM, I suspect it was licensed.
                    >
                    > mike.

                    Please inform me a bit more about ICOM. A quick Google reminds me that
                    Pertec bought both MITS and ICOM. What did ICOM add to the MITS/S-100
                    world? And of course pass this info on to Cini. Thanks!

                    Herb Johnson

                    --

                    Herbert R. Johnson, phone 609-771-1417, New Jersey USA
                  • Mike Ladwig
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 11, 2006
                      AFAIK, iCOM was the first to advertise an S-100 floppy drive (Byte, Aug '76).
                      Google reminds me that it was called the "Frugal Floppy". I don't recall any
                      details, but I think ICOM, Pertec, and Altair had some very close
                      relationship even before Pertec bought them - maybe they shared an assembly
                      plant? Altair and ICOM also jointly developed and sold an all-in-one
                      computer (Attache).

                      mike.

                      On Sunday 11 June 2006 15:40, you wrote:
                      > Please inform me a bit more about ICOM. A quick Google reminds me that
                      > Pertec bought both MITS and ICOM. What did ICOM add to the MITS/S-100
                      > world? And of course pass this info on to Cini. Thanks!
                      >
                      > Herb Johnson
                    • Richard A. Cini
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 11, 2006

                        Interesting, I didn’t realize that ICOM was swept up into Pertec, although it seems to make the world of sense considering the ICOM system I have used the same FD400 drives that the Altair 88-DCDD setup did.