Re: [midatlanticretro] IMSAI haul, continued

    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 6, 2006
      dang right!

      At 07:52 PM 6/6/2006 -0400, you wrote:

      All:

                  UPS today brought two boxes from my friend in Arizona, filled with more stuff for the IMSAI system he sent me. Among the stuff is two FD400 floppy drives, about 25 issues of User s Guide to CP/M Systems and Software (including issue #1; later the series seems to morph into Microsystems), a few books, including one called Computer Lab Workbook from Digital, featuring that neat educational demonstrator, and a full box of manuals and documents, including a lot of TDL stuff, an original SAM76 manual, some FIG FORTH stuff, CP/M 2.2 docs and a bunch of random items.

                  Now maybe with the arrival of two spare floppy drives I have a shot to getting the dual-drive system on-line. I ve also been told this person has another complete dual-drive ICOM system he s going to be sending.

                  I love getting packages&

      Rich
    • Mike Ladwig
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 8, 2006
        > Now maybe with the arrival of two spare floppy drives I have
        > a shot to getting the dual-drive system on-line. I ve also been told this
        > person has another complete dual-drive ICOM system he s going to be
        > sending.

        Complete matching sets are very good - lucky you! I've been trying to get
        floppies on my IMSAI working for a while, mostly because I'm trying to piece
        one together out of mismatched parts. My system originally had a dual-drive
        ICOM floppy system but the only surviving parts are the manuals and the
        controller board.
      • Herb Johnson
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 8, 2006
          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Richard A. Cini" <rcini@...>
          wrote:

          > UPS today brought two boxes from my friend in Arizona, filled
          > with more stuff for the IMSAI system he sent me. Among the stuff is
          > FD400 floppy drives....I've also been told this
          > person has another complete dual-drive ICOM system he's
          > going to be sending.

          Rich, I've been discussing in comp.os.cpm the role of IMSAI in
          developing CP/M 1.4; it appears that CP/M 1.3 became IMDOS 2.0. From
          your archives or from this recent haul, what do you have of these
          earliest OS's or docs about them? And out of curiousity, what floppy
          controllers were in this haul, as the key changes in early CP/M and
          IMDOS were about floppy support?

          Herb Johnson

          Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
        • Richard A. Cini
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 8, 2006

            Herb:

                        I don’t have a bootable copy of the FDOS (the Frugal Floppy DOS; the OS that originally came with the system). I do have a few CP/M 1.4 disks (none a complete “master” but I’m in the process of building one from the CP/M archive). I have some disks labeled CP/M 2.2 but none of them appear to boot. From what the sender tells me, he sent me whatever 8” disks he had, which included disks from various systems.

                        The interface is called “8800 Interface” and is a bunch of 74xx logic, a ROM and some RAM. There are no floppy controller chips (17xx, 827x, other) anywhere to be found.

            Rich

            Rich Cini

            Collector of classic computers

            Lead engineer, Altair32 Emulator

            Web site: http://highgate.comm.sfu.ca/~rcini/classiccmp/

            Web site: http://www.altair32.com/

            /***************************************************/

            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 8, 2006
              I have a lot of IMSAI disks, I will check to see what I have. They
              are all 5 1/4"
              Bill

              -- E N D --
            • Herb Johnson
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 9, 2006
                wrote:
                > I don't have a bootable copy of the FDOS (the Frugal Floppy DOS;
                > the OS that originally came with the system). I do have a few CP/M
                1.4 disks
                > (none a complete "master" but I'm in the process of building one
                from the
                > CP/M archive).
                >
                > The interface is called "8800 Interface" and is a bunch
                of 74xx
                > logic, a ROM and some RAM. There are no floppy controller chips
                (17xx, 827x,
                > other) anywhere to be found.
                >
                > Rich

                I think you may have some MITS boards, not IMSAI boards. "8800
                interface" is typical MITS terminology. The earliest floppy
                controllers did not use LSI (40-pin) controller chips as they did not
                exist yet or were expensive. Check my MITS docs list on my site and
                query me privately for more information if you wish. FDOS may well
                preceed CP/M 1.4.

                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 9, 2006

                  Herb:

                              Although I agree with the terminology being consistent with MITS, I’m not aware of MITS producing this board. The ICOM manual I have has the schematics for the interface board in it and they don’t have a MITS copyright.

                              MITS’ floppy interface was the 88-DDCD I think.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 10, 2006
                    The board isn't from IMSAI, it's a third party bundle from ICOM. My IMSAI
                    also came with most of the ICOM package (I'm missing the drive) that has this
                    interface board and ICOM/FDOS documentation discussing the board. I have
                    seen pictures of identical boards (presumably later) with "8800 Interface BD
                    -- ICOM" screened onto it.

                    It looks so much like the Altair floppy package, and with only the later
                    boards mentioning ICOM, I suspect it was licensed.

                    mike.

                    > I think you may have some MITS boards, not IMSAI boards. "8800
                    > interface" is typical MITS terminology. The earliest floppy
                    > controllers did not use LSI (40-pin) controller chips as they did not
                    > exist yet or were expensive. Check my MITS docs list on my site and
                    > query me privately for more information if you wish. FDOS may well
                    > preceed CP/M 1.4.
                  • Herb Johnson
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 11, 2006
                      Herb said:

                      >> I think you may have some MITS boards, not IMSAI boards. "8800
                      >> interface" is typical MITS terminology. The earliest floppy
                      >> controllers did not use LSI (40-pin) controller chips as they did not
                      >> exist yet or were expensive. Check my MITS docs list on my site and
                      >> query me privately for more information if you wish. FDOS may well
                      >> preceed CP/M 1.4.
                      >

                      > Mike Ladwig wrote:
                      > The board isn't from IMSAI, it's a third party bundle from ICOM. My IMSAI
                      > also came with most of the ICOM package (I'm missing the drive) that has this
                      > interface board and ICOM/FDOS documentation discussing the board. I have
                      > seen pictures of identical boards (presumably later) with "8800 Interface BD
                      > -- ICOM" screened onto it.
                      >
                      > It looks so much like the Altair floppy package, and with only the later
                      > boards mentioning ICOM, I suspect it was licensed.
                      >
                      > mike.

                      Please inform me a bit more about ICOM. A quick Google reminds me that
                      Pertec bought both MITS and ICOM. What did ICOM add to the MITS/S-100
                      world? And of course pass this info on to Cini. Thanks!

                      Herb Johnson

                      --

                      Herbert R. Johnson, phone 609-771-1417, New Jersey USA
                    • Mike Ladwig
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 11, 2006
                        AFAIK, iCOM was the first to advertise an S-100 floppy drive (Byte, Aug '76).
                        Google reminds me that it was called the "Frugal Floppy". I don't recall any
                        details, but I think ICOM, Pertec, and Altair had some very close
                        relationship even before Pertec bought them - maybe they shared an assembly
                        plant? Altair and ICOM also jointly developed and sold an all-in-one
                        computer (Attache).

                        mike.

                        On Sunday 11 June 2006 15:40, you wrote:
                        > Please inform me a bit more about ICOM. A quick Google reminds me that
                        > Pertec bought both MITS and ICOM. What did ICOM add to the MITS/S-100
                        > world? And of course pass this info on to Cini. Thanks!
                        >
                        > Herb Johnson
                      • Richard A. Cini
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 11, 2006

                          Interesting, I didn’t realize that ICOM was swept up into Pertec, although it seems to make the world of sense considering the ICOM system I have used the same FD400 drives that the Altair 88-DCDD setup did.