VCF East 9.1 thoughts

    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 10, 2014
      MARCHins,

      I want to personally thank all of you .... but this email will have to
      suffice. :)

      Last weekend was the largest VCF East ever. Some say it was also the best!

      During the show, a lot of people give me all the credit. That's not
      fair!! You guys make the show. Without you all, MARCH would have nothing
      to show off. I would be a processor without data and memory (I was going
      to say "a quarterback without blockers and receivers," but then I
      remembered the intended audience!)

      Anyway: we promised awesome, we delivered awesome, and you're all
      awesome. I'm just an awesome enabler!

      That being said, we (I!) made plenty of mistakes. I'm grateful that you
      all pointed them out :) so I/we know what to improve for next year.

      One thing we cannot change is the amount of available space. We are
      already using every available room on campus of any substance. We could
      get bigger/more tents, but that costs bigger/more money. Thus we have to
      think "smarter not harder".

      Serious planning for "VCF East X" won't start until this fall. Here are
      a few ideas so far .... please go easy on them because I'm still just
      beginning to decompress from this year's show.

      - Move the event back to May for better weather.

      - Everyone knows the signs in the upstairs exhibit hall, directing
      people to the downstairs hall, was terrible (especially Saturday). On
      the drive home Monday night, I thought of an incredibly easy and obvious
      way to make it good for next year.

      - Every year it gets more difficult to find good guest speakers. Also,
      everyone seems to like technical repair sessions. So let's do less of
      the former and more of the latter! Maybe next year we can just have ONE
      speech each day, lots more technical sessions (a third and/or fourth
      Friday track, if we can creatively find the space), and open the exhibit
      hall(s) much earlier in the day. (What we can't/won't do is have
      exhibits open simultaneously with lectures/sessions, because then we
      have unmanned exhibits, and those stink.)

      - Saturday night party! Instead of going to a restaurant, we just hold a
      big party. Maybe have it catered and charge a nominal amount per person.
      I have to run that idea past Fred.
    • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 11, 2014
        Evan Koblentz <evan@...> writes:

        >MARCHins,
        >
        >I want to personally thank all of you .... but this email will have to
        >suffice. :)
        >
        >Last weekend was the largest VCF East ever. Some say it was also the best!
        >
        >During the show, a lot of people give me all the credit. That's not
        >fair!! You guys make the show. Without you all, MARCH would have nothing
        >to show off. I would be a processor without data and memory (I was going
        >to say "a quarterback without blockers and receivers," but then I
        >remembered the intended audience!)
        >
        >Anyway: we promised awesome, we delivered awesome, and you're all
        >awesome. I'm just an awesome enabler!
        >
        >That being said, we (I!) made plenty of mistakes. I'm grateful that you
        >all pointed them out :) so I/we know what to improve for next year.
        >
        >One thing we cannot change is the amount of available space. We are
        >already using every available room on campus of any substance. We could
        >get bigger/more tents, but that costs bigger/more money. Thus we have to
        >think "smarter not harder".
        >
        >Serious planning for "VCF East X" won't start until this fall. Here are
        >a few ideas so far .... please go easy on them because I'm still just
        >beginning to decompress from this year's show.
        >
        >- Move the event back to May for better weather.
        >
        >- Everyone knows the signs in the upstairs exhibit hall, directing
        >people to the downstairs hall, was terrible (especially Saturday). On
        >the drive home Monday night, I thought of an incredibly easy and obvious
        >way to make it good for next year.

        At many of the tradeshows, there's a drawing for some token that requires
        the attendee to take a card to the vendors and get it stamped that they've
        visited the vendors in order to validate the prize entry. Such a thing at
        VCF might help get visitors to all of the exhibits.

        A few easels with large signage would help too and they can't be too much
        to lease or purchase.

        >- Every year it gets more difficult to find good guest speakers. Also,
        >everyone seems to like technical repair sessions. So let's do less of
        >the former and more of the latter! Maybe next year we can just have ONE
        >speech each day, lots more technical sessions (a third and/or fourth
        >Friday track, if we can creatively find the space), and open the exhibit
        >hall(s) much earlier in the day. (What we can't/won't do is have
        >exhibits open simultaneously with lectures/sessions, because then we
        >have unmanned exhibits, and those stink.)
        >
        >- Saturday night party! Instead of going to a restaurant, we just hold a
        >big party. Maybe have it catered and charge a nominal amount per person.
        >I have to run that idea past Fred.

        That's a fantastic idea!

        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 11, 2014
          >>> Saturday night party! Instead of going to a restaurant, we just hold a
          big party. Maybe have it catered and charge a nominal amount per person.
          I have to run that idea past Fred.

          >> That's a fantastic idea!

          Glitch suggested it. Then I told Degnan. He said, "I told you that eight years ago!"
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 11, 2014
            Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

            >>> Saturday night party! Instead of going to a restaurant, we just hold a
            big party. Maybe have it catered and charge a nominal amount per person.
            I have to run that idea past Fred.

            >> That's a fantastic idea!

            >Glitch suggested it. Then I told Degnan. He said, "I told you that eight years ago!"

            ...  *every* year I have suggested we have a Sat night event/party or something organized with some sort of night activities.  Why not?

          • Jim Brain
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 11, 2014
              On 4/11/2014 6:46 AM, Evan Koblentz wrote:

              >>> Saturday night party! Instead of going to a restaurant, we just hold a
              big party. Maybe have it catered and charge a nominal amount per person.
              I have to run that idea past Fred.

              >> That's a fantastic idea!

              Glitch suggested it. Then I told Degnan. He said, "I told you that eight years ago!"

              Not that it matters any, but I think that idea is awesome.  That's probably better than any dinner at a restaurant could ever hope to be.

              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 11, 2014
                On 04/11/2014 08:07 AM, B Degnan wrote:
                > big party. Maybe have it catered and charge a nominal amount per person.
                > I have to run that idea past Fred.
                >
                >>> That's a fantastic idea!
                >
                >>Glitch suggested it. Then I told Degnan. He said, "I told you that
                > eight years ago!"
                >
                > ... *every* year I have suggested we have a Sat night event/party or
                > something organized with some sort of night activities. Why not?

                I dunno. The resultant hangovers may put a big damper on Sunday.

                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                New Kensington, PA
              • David Riley
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 11, 2014
                  On Apr 11, 2014, at 11:04 AM, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:

                  > > big party. Maybe have it catered and charge a nominal amount per person.
                  > > I have to run that idea past Fred.

                  > >>Glitch suggested it. Then I told Degnan. He said, "I told you that
                  > > eight years ago!"
                  > >
                  > > ... *every* year I have suggested we have a Sat night event/party or
                  > > something organized with some sort of night activities. Why not?
                  >
                  > I dunno. The resultant hangovers may put a big damper on Sunday.

                  Ah, yes, because there were no hangovers on Sunday before.

                  - Dave
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 11, 2014
                    On 04/11/2014 11:43 AM, David Riley wrote:
                    >>> big party. Maybe have it catered and charge a nominal amount per person.
                    >>> I have to run that idea past Fred.

                    >>> eight years ago!"
                    >>>
                    >>> ... *every* year I have suggested we have a Sat night event/party or
                    >>> something organized with some sort of night activities. Why not?
                    >>
                    >> I dunno. The resultant hangovers may put a big damper on Sunday.
                    >
                    > Ah, yes, because there were no hangovers on Sunday before.

                    Well. Um. Yeah. ;) Good point.

                    Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                    New Kensington, PA
                  • Dan Roganti
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 11, 2014

                      On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 10:12 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
                      MARCHins,

                      I want to personally thank all of you .... but this email will have to
                      suffice.  :)

                      Last weekend was the largest VCF East ever. Some say it was also the best!

                      I think what's most important is your health. Any more stress you let on is going to put you in the hospital. Any other issue about the preparation can always work itself out in the end. You have to learn how to laugh more, laughter is the best medicine for stress - no doubt about that.

                      I only kid around with you when I'm there, just to get you to relieve the tension - might be an ulterior motive in there :) Because I can see the stress emanating from your aura as large shards of static electricity. Each year I feel like your vein is going to pop out and give me a few slaps in the face - as in that chicken wing commercial.

                      So what if only 50 people come to the show, VCF is not gonna die because of that. Last time I remember many years ago we were there at dinner and Herb gave you $20 to start it rolling. If there was only $20 left in the bank after VCF, I really don't think it's the end of the world. But if you get laid up in the hospital, or worse in Bellevue -- well then I fear that VCF East would suddenly fade into oblivion. There would be a such an immense struggle in effort to reach the epoch points of success that happened in the past 10yrs.

                      And you need to delegate more - much more. Leadership is a measure of how you can command the aspects of delegating jobs. You have to build a measure of trust in the volunteers to take an complete jobs - not just small menial tasks. I know there's a couple already there that take this on. Many of us here should already be aware from their own jobs that projects are built with teams - and not one guy and several minions. So having these team members will save you stress -- one for each section where you take command and delegate.

                      As for the lectures,  I think you built up a very large portfolio of speakers already after 10rys. It doesn't hurt to rotate them , mix it up, swap them around - so the same speaker isn't there 3yrs in a row. There's still some speakers that never made, Woz, Felsenstein, and maybe some more. If you happen to find a new one, that's all the better. Because the fact remains, many people still don't get to visit every year -- not like us diehards. So they still miss out on many things, besides the speakers. So while we may tire of some speakers, keeping the perspective is important - its for the visitors not just us.

                      As for the workshops, adding tracks just gets too busy, without having the space and all. Forget that Tent - when I heard that chunk of money plunked down for it - geezzz - just keeping using the main lecture Hall - its 100x time more pretty and comfortable >and< presentable in there !!

                      And just tack on a hour in the morning and evening to squeeze in an extra class or two. Until you get more space inthe H bldg or somewhere, forget pushing this. Don't make the Lunches an hour long on Fri or 2hr on the wknd, so there's extra time for class. Not everyone is going to eat lunch at the same time, nor is everyone going to the same class.
                      Mistakes happen, just roll with it

                      May sounds good, maybe I can get tan

                      The Sat nite picnic idea is great, as long as we don't get carried away - by the local sheriff ;)

                      Dan

                    • Dan Roganti
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 11, 2014

                        On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 12:22 PM, Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> wrote:

                        On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 10:12 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
                        MARCHins,

                        I want to personally thank all of you .... but this email will have to
                        suffice.  :)

                        oh and the next time we have to haul these 1 ton racks of Univac's a mile across the H bldg to the exhibit hall, let's get some youngbloods in there. I'll be the first to buy them pizza and beer for volunteering. You just can't keep relying on us 50+ old folks to do this right before a show - my bones won't last that long.

                        just saying....

                      • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 11, 2014
                          Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> writes:

                          >On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 12:22 PM, Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> wrote:
                          >

                          >> On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 10:12 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
                          >>
                          >>> MARCHins,
                          >>>
                          >>> I want to personally thank all of you .... but this email will have to
                          >>> suffice. :)
                          >>>

                          >oh and the next time we have to haul these 1 ton racks of Univac's a mile
                          >across the H bldg to the exhibit hall, let's get some youngbloods in
                          >there. I'll be the first to buy them pizza and beer for volunteering. You
                          >just can't keep relying on us 50+ old folks to do this right before a show
                          >- my bones won't last that long.

                          This graybeard has volunteered for several rescues and, despite warnings of
                          my physical limitations, has hauled more than he should. Some proper moving
                          (heavy duty dollies) and lifting equipment should be acquired for moving kit
                          at InfoAge.

                          BTW, Where was that forklift?

                        • Dan Roganti
                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 11, 2014

                            On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 1:23 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- <VAXman@...> wrote:

                            BTW, Where was that forklift?

                            Steve had it still to haul it across the road
                            But it doesn't fit thru the doors inside the H bldg

                          • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 11, 2014
                              Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> writes:

                              >On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 1:23 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- <
                              >VAXman@...> wrote:
                              >

                              >> BTW, Where was that forklift?
                              >>

                              >Steve had it still to haul it across the road
                              >But it doesn't fit thru the doors inside the H bldg

                              It'll fit... "Give me RAMMING SPEED! Mr. Sulu."

                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 11, 2014

                                Message 15 of 20 , Aug 8, 2014

                                  On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 10:12 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

                                  - Every year it gets more difficult to find good guest speakers.

                                  ​Since this will be the 10th for VCF East
                                  Might want to consider some return guests to help fill up the slots
                                  I enjoy seeing some of these repeat lectures, especially after 5yrs ago
                                  Maybe Bill Mauchly and/or Watts Humphrey [Mobidic]​

                                  ​Dan

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Aug 8, 2014
                                    >> and/or Watts Humphrey

                                    Unfortunately he is deceased. That happened a couple of years after he visited us.

                                  • Dan Roganti
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Aug 8, 2014

                                      On Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 8:17 AM, Evan Koblentz evan@... [midatlanticretro] <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                      >> and/or Watts Humphrey

                                      Unfortunately he is deceased. That happened a couple of years after he visited us.

                                      ​oh, so sorry to hear that​

                                      ​I think I still have some video from his last lecture
                                      I can dig it out and let you download it
                                      Dan

                                    • collectmicros
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Aug 8, 2014
                                        Connecres7ct
                                        Rycroft
                                        Sent from XFINITY Connecres7ct Mobile App

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Aug 8, 2014

                                          Connecres7ct
                                          Rycroft

                                          Huh?