DEC Equipment on Craigslist

  • jgalinat2004
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 10, 2014
      I stumbled across this looking for vintage computer equipment on Craigslist.  It looks like it is in the Bronx.  I have no interest in this but I know many on the list do so I am passing the link along.

      <http://newyork.craigslist.org/brx/sys/4415348830.html>

      Twelve (12) DEC VT-100 Terminals
      Six (6) DEC VT-520 Terminals
      Twelve (12) DEC LA-50 Dot-Matrix Printers
      One (1) DEC PDP-11/40 Minicomputer, with tape drive, tapes and other goodies

      Regards,
      Jeff
    • Ray Fantini
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 11, 2014

        Cannot imagine that several people have not pounced on this already, anyone contact this guy and get the stuff ? a PDP-11/40 ant going to lay around for long. Curious what other stuff was there and if any of its for sale?

        Long term goals for my DEC collection, some form of reel to reel tape transport, paper tape and last but not least to someday own a system with lots of switches and lights on the front! Have a 11/23 and 11/34 up and running now with RX and RL drives but in the DEC world you’re not Big Time until you have something with lots of switches. Was inspired by the HP stuff at VCF and may start considering the HP-1000 as a new and cheaper way of life,  they don’t demand the high prices of the DEC stuff.

        Ray F

        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 11, 2014
          I'm working on it.  I'm unfortunately out of town at the moment, but he says there are a number of contenders.

          On Apr 11, 2014, at 10:38 AM, Ray Fantini <rafantini@...> wrote:

[...]

          <image001.jpg><image002.jpg>

        • tedheadster
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 11, 2014
            There have been several offers for the PDP-11/40, but they have all been private.

            - Matthew W

          • Mike Loewen
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 11, 2014
              On Fri, 11 Apr 2014, Ray Fantini wrote:

              > Long term goals for my DEC collection, some form of reel to reel tape
              > transport, paper tape and last but not least to someday own a system
              > with lots of switches and lights on the front! Have a 11/23 and 11/34 up
              > and running now with RX and RL drives but in the DEC world you?re not
              > Big Time until you have something with lots of switches. Was inspired by
              > the HP stuff at VCF and may start considering the HP-1000 as a new and
              > cheaper way of life, they don?t demand the high prices of the DEC stuff.

              Ray, there's a 2113E on Ebay in Stockton, CA with just over 4 hours
              left. The starting price is way high, considering it has no I/O cards in
              it and an unknown set of boards in front. I left a message for the seller
              asking about the boards in the front card cage, but they haven't responded
              with a list.

              Mike Loewen mloewen@...
            • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 11, 2014
                David Hoelzer <dhoelzer@...> writes:

                >I'm working on it. I'm unfortunately out of town at the moment, but he say=
                >s there are a number of contenders.

                I queried but haven't gotten a single email reply.

                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 11, 2014
                  You too, eh? ;)

                  -Dave

                  --
                  Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 11, 2014
                    On 04/11/2014 11:26 AM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
                    > David Hoelzer <dhoelzer@...> writes:
                    >
                    >> I'm working on it. I'm unfortunately out of town at the moment, but he say=
                    >> s there are a number of contenders.
                    >
                    > I queried but haven't gotten a single email reply.

                    The gentleman replied to me right away yesterday. Spam filter issue,
                    perhaps.

                    I feel a bidding war brewing. That's not cool. Not sure of what to
                    do about it. I want the 11/40 system, and I can move it. Less so the
                    rest (I am swimming in VT100s) but the 11/40 is very high on my list.

                    Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                    New Kensington, PA
                  • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 11, 2014
                      Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                      > The gentleman replied to me right away yesterday. Spam filter issue,
                      >perhaps.

                      Trying another address...

                    • Ray Fantini
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 11, 2014

                        Who knows, maybe more VT-100 on the market will bring the price down? Somehow see this whole deal going for stupid money once it turns into a bidding war.

                        Ray F

                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 11, 2014

                          That’s a sweet HP-1000 for $400; just try buying a DEC system for that much. Don’t think you can get into an 11/23 for that and something like that 11/40 on C list may end up at ten times that. Wonder if the 1000 family has the built in Basic like the little 85 systems. Have seen HP systems for reasonable prices along with prifs like the drives and open reel systems. The systems set up at VCF were great and that’s the thing if you want to do open reel drives being that I have seen the drives for HP systems cheap. Think the big issue would be that with the DEC stuff there are tons of stuff out there in terms of information and users but don’t think the primitive HP world is as big. Another idea is to someday get something like a DG Nova or what I have always thought as like the “Holy Grail” a military ROLM system but they make the HP stuff look commonplace.

                          RF

                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 11, 2014
                            I'd love a VT100... :)  What would it take to liberate one?

                            I'd love the PDP-11 but I can sense that I may have some spousal issues even though I have the space in the basement.

                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 11, 2014

                              Never put a PDP-11 in a basement! By the time you get it working, install it in a rack and have a couple drives  it  will weigh so much it will never get it back above ground!

                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 11, 2014
                                On Fri, 11 Apr 2014, Ray Fantini wrote:

                                > On Fri, 11 Apr 2014, Ray Fantini wrote:
                                >
                                >>> Long term goals for my DEC collection, some form of reel to reel tape
                                >>> transport, paper tape and last but not least to someday own a system
                                >>> with lots of switches and lights on the front! Have a 11/23 and 11/34 up
                                >>> and running now with RX and RL drives but in the DEC world you?re not
                                >>> Big Time until you have something with lots of switches. Was inspired by
                                >>> the HP stuff at VCF and may start considering the HP-1000 as a new and
                                >>> cheaper way of life, they don?t demand the high prices of the DEC stuff.
                                >>>
                                >> Ray, there's a 2113E on Ebay in Stockton, CA with just over 4 hours
                                >> left. The starting price is way high, considering it has no I/O cards in
                                >> it and an unknown set of boards in front. I left a message for the seller
                                >> asking about the boards in the front card cage, but they haven't responded
                                >> with a list.
                                >>
                                >> Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                                >> Old Technology http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/
                                >>
                                > That's a sweet HP-1000 for $400; just try buying a DEC system for that
                                > much. Don't think you can get into an 11/23 for that and something like
                                > that 11/40 on C list may end up at ten times that. Wonder if the 1000
                                > family has the built in Basic like the little 85 systems. Have seen HP
                                > systems for reasonable prices along with prifs like the drives and open
                                > reel systems. The systems set up at VCF were great and that's the thing
                                > if you want to do open reel drives being that I have seen the drives for
                                > HP systems cheap. Think the big issue would be that with the DEC stuff
                                > there are tons of stuff out there in terms of information and users but
                                > don't think the primitive HP world is as big. Another idea is to someday
                                > get something like a DG Nova or what I have always thought as like the
                                > "Holy Grail" a military ROLM system but they make the HP stuff look
                                > commonplace.

                                The HP-1000 systems do not have BASIC in ROM, and with the help of my
                                HP guru I learned that BASIC 1000/C will not run on the E-series
                                machines, at least not without some serious finagling. Also, in order to
                                run RTE-6/VM as I did at VCF, you'd need at a minimum:

                                256 KW RAM
                                12731 Memory Expansion Module
                                12539 Time Base Generator
                                12821A HP-IB Disc Interface
                                12966A Buffered Async Communications Interface (BACI), or
                                12531D High Speed Terminal interface

                                There's a 7970E tape drive on Ebay for a BIN price of $150 (again in
                                CA), but with no cables or controller interface. Those aren't easy to
                                find.

                                All that being said, you can build up such a system, piece by piece.
                                It just takes time (and money). The nice thing about the 1000 series is
                                that the documentation is almost all available online, as is much of the
                                software. Bitsavers has a large selection of official HP software:

                                http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/bits/HP/HP_1000_software_collection/

                                This site has contributed software from Interex:

                                ftp://ftp.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/pub/cm/hp/rtecsl/www.interex.org/tech/csl/RTE/contr.html

                                Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                              • David Hoelzer
                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 11, 2014
                                  We have a driveway down into our basement.  My father in law essentially dug a big ramp, built a basement/workshop (with no pillars) and then built a house on top of it at ground level. :)

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Apr 11, 2014
                                    <snip>