Request from ancient geeks

  • Mike Loewen
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 9, 2014
      The gist of the message is, he has 8" SSDD diskettes from a DEC
      LSI-11/02 running RT11, and he wants to recover some TECO files. Please
      reply directly to Brian Chee if you are able to help.

      Mike Loewen mloewen@...

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 9, 2014
        Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> writes:

        > The gist of the message is, he has 8" SSDD diskettes from a DEC
        >LSI-11/02 running RT11, and he wants to recover some TECO files. Please
        >reply directly to Brian Chee if you are able to help.

        Dave McGuire would be able to do that if his VAX 11/785s were running.
        EXCHANGE can read/write the boot floppy and should have no problem at
        getting the files off the floopy.

        By TECO files, I'm assuming you mean that there are some TECO macros?
        TECO is/was a text editor. The files it could manipulate where not
        specific to TECO.

      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 9, 2014
          On Wed, 9 Apr 2014, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:

          > Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> writes:
          >
          >> The gist of the message is, he has 8" SSDD diskettes from a DEC
          >> LSI-11/02 running RT11, and he wants to recover some TECO files. Please
          >> reply directly to Brian Chee if you are able to help.
          >
          > Dave McGuire would be able to do that if his VAX 11/785s were running.
          > EXCHANGE can read/write the boot floppy and should have no problem at
          > getting the files off the floopy.
          >
          > By TECO files, I'm assuming you mean that there are some TECO macros?
          > TECO is/was a text editor. The files it could manipulate where not
          > specific to TECO.

          You know exactly as much (and probably more) about it than I do.

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        • retro
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 9, 2014
            On 4/9/2014 2:31 PM, Mike Loewen wrote:

            > The gist of the message is, [a person in Hawaii]
            > has 8" [SSSD] diskettes from a DEC
            > LSI-11/02 running RT11, and he wants to recover some TECO files. Please
            > reply directly to Brian Chee if you are able to help.

            I blind CC'd this message to Brian. Mike, note the disks are described
            as SINGLE density.

            He may be able to image the disks using tools like IMAGEDSK, and then
            edit the disk image in a word processor. Not the most "efficient" means,
            but it involves the most likely available equipment, namely some old PC
            with MS-DOS and an 8-inch drive connected to it.

            http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/img/index.htm

            If I recall, the RT-11 disk format is not complicated and some simple
            programming may be able to read files from the disk image. An RT-11 disk
            image is among the disks archived on the site above. If I recall, track
            0 of DEC disks is single-density, so be aware of that issue.

            Herb Johnson

            --
            Herbert R. Johnson
            http://www.retrotechnology.com OR .net
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 9, 2014

              >> On 4/9/2014 2:31 PM, Mike Loewen wrote:

              > > The gist of the message is, [a person in Hawaii] > has 8" [SSSD] diskettes from a DEC > LSI-11/02 running RT11, and he wants to recover some TECO files. Please > >reply directly to Brian Chee if you are able to help. > I blind CC'd this message to Brian. Mike, note the disks are described
              as SINGLE density.
              >He may be able to image the disks using tools like IMAGEDSK, and then
              edit the disk image in a word processor. Not the most "efficient" means, but it involves the most likely available equipment, namely some old PC with MS-DOS and an 8-inch drive connected to it.
              > http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/img/index.htm > If I recall, the RT-11 disk format is not complicated and some simple programming may be able to read files from the disk image. An RT-11 disk image is among the disks archived on the site above. If I recall, track 0 of DEC disks is single-density, so be aware of that issue.
              > Herb Johnson
              If you can get these disks to me I can work on them, with clear specs what is needed.  I have a batch of RT-11 disks to image.
              Bill
            • Mike Loewen
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 9, 2014
                On Wed, 9 Apr 2014, B Degnan wrote:

                > If you can get these disks to me I can work on them, with clear specs what is needed. I have a batch of RT-11 disks to image.

                Not to pick on Bill, but you guys all seem to have skipped over the
                "...reply directly to Brian Chee..." part. :-) This request was passed
                on to via fourth-hand.

                Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 9, 2014
                  I can read them directly. Cannot reply just now due to travel, but will try to contact him tonight.

                  Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                  New Kensington, PA

                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 22, 2014
                    On 04/09/2014 02:44 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
                    > Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> writes:
                    >
                    >> The gist of the message is, he has 8" SSDD diskettes from a DEC
                    >> LSI-11/02 running RT11, and he wants to recover some TECO files. Please
                    >> reply directly to Brian Chee if you are able to help.
                    >
                    > Dave McGuire would be able to do that if his VAX 11/785s were running.
                    > EXCHANGE can read/write the boot floppy and should have no problem at
                    > getting the files off the floopy.

                    (catching up on old email from a few road trips)

                    I have probably a dozen machines here that can read those
                    floppies...no rushing of the 11/785s into service will be required.
                    I've contacted the gentleman with an offer of assistance.

                    Dave McGuire, AK4HZ