Re: [midatlanticretro] File - marchfaq.txt

  • John Allain
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 2, 2006
      > FAQ... Does anybody else do that or is it just me?

      When questions become ad nauseaum like they get on Classiccmp
      sometimes, I will be adding and I hope others will add too submissions
      to the FAQ.

      John A.
    • Evan
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 1 8:06 AM
        Heh ... I forgot to update the part that says "last updated"...

        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 1, 2009
          >>> That said, the broad area of the bell curve starts with WWI

          Presumably you meant WWII, not WW1. :)
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 1, 2009
            evan@... wrote:
            That said, the broad area of the bell curve starts with WWI

            Presumably you meant WWII, not WW1.  :)

            yes, oops.
          • Bob Schwier
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 22, 2009
              Just depends upon if you are measuring out by one or two standard deviations.
              bs

              That said, the broad area of the bell curve starts with WWI
              Presumably you meant WWII, not WW1.  :)

              yes, oops.

            • Bill Degnan
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 1, 2010

                > 11. Okay, this all sounds interesting. So by "antique/vintage" you mean
                my old
                > Pentium II?
                >
                > No, we mean your old Altair, Apple II, Commodore, DEC PDP-11, Epson
                HX-20,
                > HP-1000, IBM PC, KIM-1... we could go through the alphabet a couple
                times
                > but we think you get the idea by now. We're interested in truly antique
                > computers, not merely "used" computers. Generally, we mean anything from
                WWII

                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 1, 2011
                  >>> MARCH frequently asked questions -- updated August 1, 2009

                  I should update this...
                • Jeffrey Brace
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 1, 2011
                    >> MARCH frequently asked questions -- updated August 1, 2009

                    >I should update this...

                    And who can count how many times Evan has said this ? ;)
                  • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 4 5:34 AM
                      midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com writes:

                      >VCF East 7.0 was in May 20011.

                      Really!? ;)
                    • DuaneCraps
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 1, 2013
                        Evan,

                        Frequently .Really?

                        “details are frequently updated at http://www.vintage.org/2012/east/

                        Duane

                        Sent: Sunday, September 01, 2013 8:10 AM
                        Subject: [midatlanticretro] File - marchfaq.txt

                        MARCH frequently asked questions -- updated Feb. 27, 2012

                        1. What is MARCH?

                        MARCH is a user group for people who enjoy collecting, restoring, using, and exhibiting antique/vintage computers. Our name is an acronym for Mid-Atlantic Retro Computing Hobbyists. Our club's legal name has an "Inc." on the end because we're incorporated as a non-profit in New Jersey. However we do not yet have 501(c)3 tax status.

                        2. Cool, I have some old-school Pentium IIs, and even a 486!

                        Sorry, but that's not what we do. By "antique/vintage" we mean things that are far more historic. We start (with some exceptions) at the mid-1980s early GUI systems, go into early-1980s/late-1970s 8-bit microcomputers, back into mid-1970s homebrew kits and single-board computers, then find our way into 1970s/1960s minicomputers when "mini" meant as big as a desk or refrigerator. Finally, we're into mainframes of the 1950s and 1960s. Of course, we also focus on all sorts of books/magazines, cultural artifacts, I/O devices (teletypes, terminals) peripherals, software, storage hardware (keypunches, magnetic/paper tape, etc.), and everything from this realm. Not counting mathematical tools such as a slide rule, our oldest computer artifact is an IBM 082 punch card sorter, from 1948.

                        3. I'm a nerd and live somewhere between Connecticut and Virginia, yet I never heard of you before.

                        Andy Meyer reiterated his idea for a regional user group in the second half of 2004. Evan Koblentz started the Yahoo discussion group (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midatlanticretro/) in the beginning of 2005. MARCH became a legal entity later that year. Our expertise is technical, but we're not so good at marketing. Please help!

                        4. So I have to live in the Mid-Atlantic part of the U.S. to join?

                        Nope. That description just conveys where most of our members and activities are concentrated -- in the scalene triangle between Hartford, Pittsburgh, and D.C. -- but people from beyond these areas are certainly welcome to join us.

                        5. What does MARCH actually do?

                        In addition to the busy discussion list at our Yahoo group (more than 20,000 messages over six years and virtually no spam!), we also operate a bricks-and-mortar computer museum on the New Jersey shore. Currently our museum occupies almost 1,500 sq. ft. in a wing of the InfoAge Science Center, located in Wall Township, New Jersey

                        6. InfoAge Science Center? What's that?

                        7. InfoAge is a relatively new museum and 501(c)3 non-profit organization. Its construction began in the late 1990s and it opened in a "beta" mode in the mid-2000s. Its facility is a whole campus, not just one building. There is a very rich history here. The campus was built by the Marconi America Wireless Telegraphy Co. as a receiving station in 1912, was used as a communications laboratory by the U.S. Navy during WWI, and then was in private hands. It became a U.S. Army Signal Corps R&D lab just before WWII and remained so until
                        the 1990s. Congress decided to close the lab and sell the land. Instead, local historians recognized its history and formed InfoAge. Now the campus is on the National Parks Service's National Register of Historic Places. InfoAge is also a Black History Site and had several other federal designations related to its service before, during, and after WWII. Public hours are Sunday from 1pm to 5pm and other times by appointment. For more about the museum and campus history please visit www.infoage.org.

                        8. Okay, so back to this computer museum of yours. What's there?

                        Our museum has five exhibits: Mainframes, minicomputers, homebrew-era computers, business microcomputers, and consumer microcomputers. We have many ideas for more exhibits, and we plan to implement those ideas just as soon as we move from our current space on campus into a larger building next door. That could happen in another year or so.

                        9. Do the computers just sit there or can I use them?

                        We strive to restore our systems to operational condition. Some computers, especially the microcomputers, are relatively easy to restore and easy to replace if necessary. Others, such as our minicomputers, require a more serious effort. We make every effort to have these computers available for our members' use and to demonstrate them for visitors.

                        10. Can I help restore the computers?

                        Yes! Join our group, get to know us, and volunteer to help out.

                        11. What else does MARCH do?

                        Lots of fun stuff. In addition to our discussion list and our museum, we also host special events. Our flagship event is the Vintage Computer Festival East. Our first edition of this hobbyist convention was VCF East 3.0, in 2006, because the first two editions were run by a different organization. VCF East 4.0 was in June 2007; VCF East 5.0 was in Sept. 2008, VCF East 6.0 was in Sept. 2009, and VCF East 7.0 was in May 2011. The next edition, VCF East 8.0, is scheduled for May 5-6, 2012 -- details are frequently updated at http://www.vintage.org/2012/east/ and at http://wwww.facebook.com/vcfeast8.

                        We also produce smaller exhibits at other events such HOPE (Hackers on Planet Earth conference), NJ Science & Engineering Festival, Philadelphia Science Carnival, Trenton Computer Festival, and World Maker Faire. In addition, we have social events, tech days, museum days, a winter party, etc.

                        12. I still don't get it. Where can I learn more about what's antique/vintage?

                        Many places. Pick up a copy of the book "Collectible Microcomputers" by Michael Nadeau. Or for non-micro aspects, go online. Heck, go online anyway. Check out the classiccmp.org mailing lists; vintage-computer.com/vcforum, old-computers.com; and many, many, many others. (If you're interested in specific machines, just post your question to our discussion list and we can refer you to the best sites.)

                        13. What's behind the scenes of this wacky endeavor?

                        We have some de facto officers; an official set of bylaws and all that boring stuff is being worked on... we're just so busy having fun that we keep procrastinating. The officers are myself (Evan Koblentz - prez), Bill Degnan and Andy Meyer (VPs), and Justin Jernigan (treasurer).

                        14. Members? Is it like just you and two buddies?

                        We're much bigger than that! We have dozens of members, and around 300 people in our Yahoo group. Our youngest member is an 18-year-old college freshman who was valedictorian of his high school and received a major university scholarship to study computer science. Our oldest member is in his 80s and remains active in robot hacking and computer programming.

                        15. What's it cost to join?

                        Nothing. MARCH membership is free (as in beer).

                        16. So how do you fund the club?

                        Our primary fundraiser is the Vintage Computer Festival East, during which we sell tickets, exhibit space, and various items. We also have an annual donation drive. Sometimes we also rent artifacts for use at film/television props.

                        17. Can I make a donation of artifacts or funds?

                        Yes! Contact us first, and we'll make arrangements. Info is in the very next question of this FAQ.

                        17. I have a question.

                        Okay. Reach out to us! Do so by posting to our message boards or pinging me (mailto:evan%40snarc.net / phone: 646-546-9999) ... ask us anything, we're not shy! (And moreover, unlike some computer clubs, we're not cliquey. All are welcome here!)

                        18. What else should I know before diving in to MARCH?

                        If you're a nerd who thinks really old computers and their related technologies were cool, then give MARCH a chance. You'll be glad you did. Also, if you were wondering, we're NOT a bunch of old farts who sit around and whine about how much better things used to be. Quite the contrary: we're a bunch of young and mid-life farts who ... ooooh maybe we said too much. :)

                        19. What is your web site?

                        We're at www.midatlanticretro.org.

                        20. Why does your web site suck?

                        Its simplicity is by design.