RE: [midatlanticretro] Re: MARCH event thread #2: possible New England road trip

    Message 1 of 14 , May 31, 2006
      Yes, that would be just one stop of many on the trip.

      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 4, 2006
        After much consideration, I humbly suggest a three-day weekend of Fri, Aug. 18 - Sun., Aug 20 for our Boston-area road trip.  I chose this weeekend because the MIT swap meet is only held once a month.  July's is the 16th, which is probably too soon for most people to plan and get Friday off from work.  September is no good for me personally, and I'm not going to plan a road trip that I can't attend!  So that leaves August and late October.  October, in my opinion, is also no good for a variety of reasons, the most serious being cold weather and being too near date-wise to VCF.

        As for travel, we can reverse-engineer that plan based on the itinerary (below), devising a few meet-up points until the whole caravan is together.  We could rent a large van to travel together, or we could have some people volunteer to do the driving, with passengers paying for the gas and tolls.

        Either way, here is an itinerary:

        Friday:
        - Morning -- Take the I-95 route (rather than the I-84/I-90 route), get to Rhode Island by the early afternoon
        - Have a quick lunch, then visit Rhode Island Computer Museum (I'll make an appointment)
        - Drive one more hour north, spend an hour at You-Do-It Electronics (open until 9pm weekdays)
        - Check into a hotel in Cambridge, have late dinner (lots of stuff open late in Cambridge!)

        Saturday:
        - Morning: Two excellent bookstores (MIT Coop, Quantum Books, and they're across the street from each other!)
        - Mid-day: Take the subway one stop to Harvard Square, see the Mark-1 computer etc., have lunch
        - Afternoon: Wide open -- perhaps New England Aquarium (pricey), Science Museum (mostly kid stuff) -- or we could actually get some culture and visit some tourist spots in Boston, such as Quincy Market (amazing food and shopping), walk the Freedom Trail (Rev. War stuff), etc. ... LOL and at some point we'll have to pose for pictures on the legendary "Smoots" bridge.
        - Evening: We can vote on a fun activity, such as Jillians (massive place to play arcade/amusement-style games), F1 Boston (massive indoor go-kart racing, althought that would require driving, it's not on the subway), or bar-hopping in Cambridge (Harvard / Central / Kendall squares)

        Sunday:
        - MIT Swap Meet, 9am-2pm, followed by lunch, followed by MIT Press Bookstore (open until 6pm)
        - Slow drive home, maybe a pit stop to see collections of Jim (Hartford area, CT) or Sridhar (in Poughkeepsie, NY)...?

        Just so everyone knows, I chose this weekend because the MIT swap meet is only once per month.  The timing means I'll have to miss watching three Yankees-Red Sox games (the Yanks will actually be in Boston that weekend, just like us), so that ought to show just much I care about MARCH!!!   :)

        For planning purposes (hotel, RICM, people taking off work Friday, etc.), please let me know if you can attend ** AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. **

        The actual itinerary can and probably will change; suggestions for that are welcome.

        As for the hotel, I will look for someplace moderately priced.  Someplace nicer than a Days Inn, but cheaper than a Marriott.

        - Evan

        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 5, 2006
          Evan,

          The date looks good and the interary is about what I had in mind. Wasn't there more than just the Mark I that we wanted to see at Harvard - some other collection? As to entertainment, a brew pub with great burgers is preferred to bar-hopping.

          Jim

          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 5, 2006
            >>> As to entertainment, a brew pub with great burgers is preferred to bar-hopping

            Plenty of those in Cambridge, from the big chain (John Harvard's) to the indy place with Boston's best burgers (Mr. Bartley's).