Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: MARCH event thread #2: possible New England road trip

  • Alexey Toptygin
    Message 1 of 14 , May 29, 2006
      On Mon, 29 May 2006, john_apw wrote:

      > Seeing MIT mentioned a few times, you might also want to see the MIT
      > Model Railroad - they have quite an impressive computerized control
      > system (at least, the last time I saw it). It was all homebrew and
      > wire-wrapped boards, using all kinds of technologies. They may have
      > upgraded by now, but I think it's worth asking about during the trip
      > planning phase.

      I was thinking I'd be too busy to go, but if you guys can set up a tour of
      TMRC for us, you can count me in.

      Alexey
    • Herb Johnson
      Message 2 of 14 , May 29, 2006

        > There is much to see in New England, mostly in the Boston area...
        > A list: You-Do-It Electronics (a tinkerer's superstore), Rhode Island
        > Computer Museum, MIT Museum, Harvard's public exhibit of
        > the Mark-1 computer
        > and others, and three excellent technical bookstores
        > within a one-block space. Boston's Science Museum [with] a
        > cool planetarium and IMAX theater. There's also the New
        > England Aquarium..

        > Some things are closed on Sundays, so ideally we'd do this
        > trip on a Friday
        > and Saturday, or maybe even a Friday-Sunday.
        > The middle of August would be a good time for this event.

        The MIT/Harvard area is beautiful in August.

        From central NJ, it's a several hour drive to Boston for me. So some
        of us from that area would have to go a day earlier, leave a day
        later. So there are some logistics about meeting up.

        Rhode Island would be tough to schedule except on the way up or down.
        But the state has two mainframe/mini computer collections to see: it's
        worth a day trip for them alone. And it would be informative for the
        MARCH officers to see how they manage their collections and their
        building site, as MARCH will have similar issues in the near future at
        InfoAge. So this might be better considered as a seperate activity
        with some mutual planning with the RCS/RI and the RICM.

        Staying over one night or two means getting some accomodations, either
        payed-for or locals who volunteer their living rooms. Hotels won't be
        cheap in August. I have relatives I can stay with, but no room for others.

        Hard to imagine going to Boston but not staying for the MIT Swap Meet,
        which is on third Sunday mornings into the early afternoon, on the MIT
        campus at a parking facility (inside and out). It could be an
        on-the-way-out activity. It seems to be good for some older SGI/Sun
        stuff, a bit of older PC/game machine stuff, the odd test equipment
        from labs, even machine tools. Also some of the sellers bring items
        strictly for show: an Enigma machine was displayed when I went a few
        years ago.

        Herb Johnson
        (See other posts for the usual Web links and email addresses)
        Message 3 of 14 , May 29, 2006
          Herb -- thanking for reminding us about the monthly MIT flea market.  I can't believe I forgot that!  It looks like Sunday, Aug. 20 is the best date for us to visit.  (http://web.mit.edu/w1gsl/Public/flyer)

          Excellent point about the TMRC as well.  They are open Saturdays (see http://tmrc.mit.edu/visit.html) so it shouldn't be a problem.  Of course we would ping them ahead of time.

          > There is much to see in New England, mostly
          in the Boston area...
          > A list: You-Do-It Electronics (a tinkerer's
          superstore), Rhode Island
          > Computer Museum, MIT Museum, Harvard's public
          exhibit of
          > the Mark-1 computer
          > and others, and three excellent
          technical bookstores
          > within a one-block space.  Boston's Science
          Museum [with] a
          > cool planetarium and IMAX theater.  There's also
          the New
          > England Aquarium..

          > Some things are closed on
          Sundays, so ideally we'd do this
          > trip on a Friday
          > and Saturday,
          or maybe even a Friday-Sunday.
          > The middle of August would be a
          good time for this event.

          The MIT/Harvard area is beautiful in August.

          >From central NJ, it's a several hour drive to Boston for me.
          So some
[...]

        • Bryan Pope
          Message 4 of 14 , May 29, 2006
            Herb Johnson wrote:
            > Hard to imagine going to Boston but not staying for the MIT Swap Meet,
            > which is on third Sunday mornings into the early afternoon, on the MIT
            > campus at a parking facility (inside and out). It could be an
            > on-the-way-out activity. It seems to be good for some older SGI/Sun
            > stuff, a bit of older PC/game machine stuff, the odd test equipment
            > from labs, even machine tools. Also some of the sellers bring items
            > strictly for show: an Enigma machine was displayed when I went a few
            > years ago.

            I have been to a few of these as well - here is their webpage -
            http://web.mit.edu/w1mx/www/swapfest.html . They sometimes also have
            stuff like C64s and old Macs.

            The best burger place is Mr. & Mrs. Bartley's Burger Cottage in Harvard
            Square, Cambridge. A whole lot of different burgers cooked just the way
            you like them and they have names like the "Dick Cheney burger". Also
            for Mexican food Margarita's in Waltham is very good IMHO.

            Cheers,

            Bryan
          • Evan
            Message 5 of 14 , May 29, 2006
              Correct, the best burgers in metro Boston!
            • David Comley
              Message 6 of 14 , May 31, 2006
                The July and August MIT flea markets are a little
                smaller than the ones later in the year because so
                many people are out of town - but on balance probably
                still worth the trip if combined with another event of
                some sort.

                -Dave

                http://mail.yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 14 , May 31, 2006
                  Yes, that would be just one stop of many on the trip.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 4, 2006
                    After much consideration, I humbly suggest a three-day weekend of Fri, Aug. 18 - Sun., Aug 20 for our Boston-area road trip.  I chose this weeekend because the MIT swap meet is only held once a month.  July's is the 16th, which is probably too soon for most people to plan and get Friday off from work.  September is no good for me personally, and I'm not going to plan a road trip that I can't attend!  So that leaves August and late October.  October, in my opinion, is also no good for a variety of reasons, the most serious being cold weather and being too near date-wise to VCF.

                    As for travel, we can reverse-engineer that plan based on the itinerary (below), devising a few meet-up points until the whole caravan is together.  We could rent a large van to travel together, or we could have some people volunteer to do the driving, with passengers paying for the gas and tolls.

                    Either way, here is an itinerary:

                    Friday:
                    - Morning -- Take the I-95 route (rather than the I-84/I-90 route), get to Rhode Island by the early afternoon
                    - Have a quick lunch, then visit Rhode Island Computer Museum (I'll make an appointment)
                    - Drive one more hour north, spend an hour at You-Do-It Electronics (open until 9pm weekdays)
                    - Check into a hotel in Cambridge, have late dinner (lots of stuff open late in Cambridge!)

                    Saturday:
                    - Morning: Two excellent bookstores (MIT Coop, Quantum Books, and they're across the street from each other!)
                    - Mid-day: Take the subway one stop to Harvard Square, see the Mark-1 computer etc., have lunch
                    - Afternoon: Wide open -- perhaps New England Aquarium (pricey), Science Museum (mostly kid stuff) -- or we could actually get some culture and visit some tourist spots in Boston, such as Quincy Market (amazing food and shopping), walk the Freedom Trail (Rev. War stuff), etc. ... LOL and at some point we'll have to pose for pictures on the legendary "Smoots" bridge.
                    - Evening: We can vote on a fun activity, such as Jillians (massive place to play arcade/amusement-style games), F1 Boston (massive indoor go-kart racing, althought that would require driving, it's not on the subway), or bar-hopping in Cambridge (Harvard / Central / Kendall squares)

                    Sunday:
                    - MIT Swap Meet, 9am-2pm, followed by lunch, followed by MIT Press Bookstore (open until 6pm)
                    - Slow drive home, maybe a pit stop to see collections of Jim (Hartford area, CT) or Sridhar (in Poughkeepsie, NY)...?

                    Just so everyone knows, I chose this weekend because the MIT swap meet is only once per month.  The timing means I'll have to miss watching three Yankees-Red Sox games (the Yanks will actually be in Boston that weekend, just like us), so that ought to show just much I care about MARCH!!!   :)

                    For planning purposes (hotel, RICM, people taking off work Friday, etc.), please let me know if you can attend ** AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. **

                    The actual itinerary can and probably will change; suggestions for that are welcome.

                    As for the hotel, I will look for someplace moderately priced.  Someplace nicer than a Days Inn, but cheaper than a Marriott.

                    - Evan

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 5, 2006
                      Evan,

                      The date looks good and the interary is about what I had in mind. Wasn't there more than just the Mark I that we wanted to see at Harvard - some other collection? As to entertainment, a brew pub with great burgers is preferred to bar-hopping.

                      Jim

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 5, 2006
                        >>> As to entertainment, a brew pub with great burgers is preferred to bar-hopping

                        Plenty of those in Cambridge, from the big chain (John Harvard's) to the indy place with Boston's best burgers (Mr. Bartley's).