Re: Computer signage on my table

  • macmothership
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 24, 2005
      Evan,

      Wow - that really would complete the line-up and fit in perfectly. I can create a sign for
      that also. Great!
      Do you have a small monitor for it to use?

      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, evan <evan947@y...> wrote:
      > Sounds great, Jim. Would be even better if the rest of us follow your lead.
      > :)
      >
      > If I can the Apple 1 replica working, we can put that on your table too.
      >
      > --- macmothership <macmothership@y...> wrote:
      >

      > > I am going to prepare a small sign for each system that I will be displaying,
      > > with model
      > > details. (Apple II, Apple III, Apple Lisa, and the first 128k Mac - and
      > > possible a Mac
      > > Portable if I have room)
      > > I'll place them in those small clear plexiglas stand-up displays that they
      > > sell at staples, and
      > > place one by each system. Those things are a few dollars each, but I think it
      > > will look
      > > good.

    • evan
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 24, 2005
        Yeah I've got one.

        --- macmothership <macmothership@...> wrote:

        > Evan,
        >
        > Wow - that really would complete the line-up and fit in perfectly. I can
        > create a sign for
        > that also. Great!
        > Do you have a small monitor for it to use?
        >
        > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, evan <evan947@y...> wrote:
        > > Sounds great, Jim. Would be even better if the rest of us follow your
        > lead.
        > > :)
        > >
        > > If I can the Apple 1 replica working, we can put that on your table too.
        > >
        > > --- macmothership <macmothership@y...> wrote:
        > >

        > > > I am going to prepare a small sign for each system that I will be
        > displaying,
        > > > with model
        > > > details. (Apple II, Apple III, Apple Lisa, and the first 128k Mac - and
        > > > possible a Mac
        > > > Portable if I have room)
        > > > I'll place them in those small clear plexiglas stand-up displays that
        > they
        > > > sell at staples, and
        > > > place one by each system. Those things are a few dollars each, but I
        > think it
        > > > will look
        > > > good.

      • evan947
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 28, 2005
          Good news: a couple of days ago the replica started to work. I don't
          know how to program in assembly, but I had fun playing with Integer
          BASIC. I also was able to use Woz's 'monitor' application.

          Yesterday I ordered a non-volatile IC from DigiKey.com, to replace
          the volatile chip that Vince Briel includes with the design. That
          should arrive tomorrow or Monday. (I had to do this -- there is no
          other storage option because my case design won't have room for the
          serial I/O board and Vince says the cassette interface isn't
          finished.)

          FYI, for those who have no idea what I'm talking about:
          http://home.comcast.net/~vbriel/index.htm :)

          Now that it works, I'm designing a custom case for it. Since I
          collect handhelds/portables, I figured my case should be of the
          laptop variety. Sellam Ismail (of VCF fame) gave me an old
          PowerBook -- it's the model 145B because that one is rather large,
          giving me plenty of room to work. I took it apart, removed the
          screen and all of the electronics, so now it's just a bare plastic
          shell. Now I'm working on stuffing the following inside it:
          keyboard, new LCD display, motherboard, NiMH cells. The only problem
          so far is getting the board to work with the LCD, but Vince is
          helping with that.

          I put a photo of the 'empty' laptop under the photos link in this
          group. The photo is not very good quality but you get the idea.

          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "macmothership"

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 29, 2005
            That is great news - the Apple 1 is something most people have never been able to get
            their hands on, just read about - should be cool!

            Have you given any thought to enclosing it in a "period" case. As you know, many were in
            hand built wooden cases with the keyboard, or generic metal enclosures. I've uploaded a
            photo.

            I'll print out an Ad and Article on the Apple 1 from my website to have on display next to
            the unit at the show.

            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "evan947" <evan947@y...> wrote:

            > Good news: a couple of days ago the replica started to work. I don't
            > know how to program in assembly, but I had fun playing with Integer
            > BASIC. I also was able to use Woz's 'monitor' application.
            >
            > Yesterday I ordered a non-volatile IC from DigiKey.com, to replace
            > the volatile chip that Vince Briel includes with the design. That
            > should arrive tomorrow or Monday. (I had to do this -- there is no
            > other storage option because my case design won't have room for the
            > serial I/O board and Vince says the cassette interface isn't
            > finished.)
            >
            > FYI, for those who have no idea what I'm talking about:
            > http://home.comcast.net/~vbriel/index.htm :)
            >
            > Now that it works, I'm designing a custom case for it. Since I
            > collect handhelds/portables, I figured my case should be of the
            > laptop variety. Sellam Ismail (of VCF fame) gave me an old
            > PowerBook -- it's the model 145B because that one is rather large,
            > giving me plenty of room to work. I took it apart, removed the
            > screen and all of the electronics, so now it's just a bare plastic
            > shell. Now I'm working on stuffing the following inside it:
            > keyboard, new LCD display, motherboard, NiMH cells. The only problem
            > so far is getting the board to work with the LCD, but Vince is
            > helping with that.
            >
            > I put a photo of the 'empty' laptop under the photos link in this
            > group. The photo is not very good quality but you get the idea.
            >

            > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "macmothership"
            > <macmothership@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Evan,
            > >
            > > Wow - that really would complete the line-up and fit in perfectly.
            > I can create a sign for
            > > that also. Great!
            > > Do you have a small monitor for it to use?
            > >
            > > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, evan <evan947@y...> wrote:
            > > > Sounds great, Jim. Would be even better if the rest of us follow
            > your lead.
            > > > :)
            > > >
            > > > If I can the Apple 1 replica working, we can put that on your
            > table too.
          • evan947
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 30, 2005
              Yes, I'm considering that... however the portable version is my main
              project right now. (Vince Briel, who designed the kit, has a version
              very similar to the original, just like in your photo. Check his out:
              http://home.comcast.net/~vbriel/r1se.htm) -- it's sold already but I
              think he's willing to make more for whoever is willing to order one.