MARCH event thread #2: possible New England road trip

    Message 1 of 14 , May 28, 2006
      We discussed this idea last fall.

      There is much to see in New England, mostly in the Boston area, regarding
      vintage computers and other things of interest.

      A list: You-Do-It Electronics (a tinkerer's superstore), Rhode Island
      Computer Museum, MIT Museum, Harvard's public exhibit of the Mark-1 computer
      and others, and three excellent technical bookstores within a one-block
      space. Boston's Science Museum is more for children, but they do have a
      cool planetarium and IMAX theater. There's also the New England Aquarium
      which is extremely good although the tickets are a bit pricey.

      Some things are closed on Sundays, so ideally we'd do this trip on a Friday
      and Saturday, or maybe even a Friday-Sunday. We'd want to have a few people
      volunteer with large vehicles (i.e., not my two-seater!) so we can carry
      home any goodies. Given modern gas prices, it would be fair that whoever's
      not driving chip in extensively for those who are driving. (I'm just
      assuming it would be too expensive for us to rent a van or bus.) A few of
      us also lived in the Boston/Cambridge area fairly recently, so we still know
      where to get the best nerd-inspiring food and such.

      The middle of August would be a good time for this event. Yes, it'll be hot
      outside, but it's far enough in the future to leave us some planning time,
      and it won't interfere with all the college kids moving back in September.
      (The metro Boston area has more colleges per capita than anyplace else on
      Earth.)

      Who's generally interested in going?
    • Greg N Shari
      Message 2 of 14 , May 28, 2006
        Count me in for this trip. Sounds like lots of fun.

        Greg Manuel
[...]

        It has removed 2686 spam emails to date.
        Try SPAMfighter for free now!
      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 14 , May 29, 2006
          On Mon, 29 May 2006, Evan Koblentz wrote:

          > There is much to see in New England, mostly in the Boston area, regarding
          > vintage computers and other things of interest.

          Are there any interesting surplus place in the area?

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        • john_apw
          Message 4 of 14 , May 29, 2006
            wrote:

            > We discussed this idea last fall.
            >
            > There is much to see in New England, mostly in the Boston area,
            regarding
            > vintage computers and other things of interest.
            >
            > A list: You-Do-It Electronics (a tinkerer's superstore), Rhode
            Island
            > Computer Museum, MIT Museum, Harvard's public exhibit of the Mark-
            1 computer
            > and others, and three excellent technical bookstores within a one-
            block
            > space.

            Hi Evan (and everyone),

            Seeing MIT mentioned a few times, you might also want to see the MIT
            Model Railroad - they have quite an impressive computerized control
            system (at least, the last time I saw it). It was all homebrew and
            wire-wrapped boards, using all kinds of technologies. They may have
            upgraded by now, but I think it's worth asking about during the trip
            planning phase.

            -John M.
          • Alexey Toptygin
            Message 5 of 14 , May 29, 2006
              On Mon, 29 May 2006, john_apw wrote:

              > Seeing MIT mentioned a few times, you might also want to see the MIT
              > Model Railroad - they have quite an impressive computerized control
              > system (at least, the last time I saw it). It was all homebrew and
              > wire-wrapped boards, using all kinds of technologies. They may have
              > upgraded by now, but I think it's worth asking about during the trip
              > planning phase.

              I was thinking I'd be too busy to go, but if you guys can set up a tour of
              TMRC for us, you can count me in.

              Alexey
            • Herb Johnson
              Message 6 of 14 , May 29, 2006

                > There is much to see in New England, mostly in the Boston area...
                > A list: You-Do-It Electronics (a tinkerer's superstore), Rhode Island
                > Computer Museum, MIT Museum, Harvard's public exhibit of
                > the Mark-1 computer
                > and others, and three excellent technical bookstores
                > within a one-block space. Boston's Science Museum [with] a
                > cool planetarium and IMAX theater. There's also the New
                > England Aquarium..

                > Some things are closed on Sundays, so ideally we'd do this
                > trip on a Friday
                > and Saturday, or maybe even a Friday-Sunday.
                > The middle of August would be a good time for this event.

                The MIT/Harvard area is beautiful in August.

                From central NJ, it's a several hour drive to Boston for me. So some
                of us from that area would have to go a day earlier, leave a day
                later. So there are some logistics about meeting up.

                Rhode Island would be tough to schedule except on the way up or down.
                But the state has two mainframe/mini computer collections to see: it's
                worth a day trip for them alone. And it would be informative for the
                MARCH officers to see how they manage their collections and their
                building site, as MARCH will have similar issues in the near future at
                InfoAge. So this might be better considered as a seperate activity
                with some mutual planning with the RCS/RI and the RICM.

                Staying over one night or two means getting some accomodations, either
                payed-for or locals who volunteer their living rooms. Hotels won't be
                cheap in August. I have relatives I can stay with, but no room for others.

                Hard to imagine going to Boston but not staying for the MIT Swap Meet,
                which is on third Sunday mornings into the early afternoon, on the MIT
                campus at a parking facility (inside and out). It could be an
                on-the-way-out activity. It seems to be good for some older SGI/Sun
                stuff, a bit of older PC/game machine stuff, the odd test equipment
                from labs, even machine tools. Also some of the sellers bring items
                strictly for show: an Enigma machine was displayed when I went a few
                years ago.

                Herb Johnson
                (See other posts for the usual Web links and email addresses)
                Message 7 of 14 , May 29, 2006
                  Herb -- thanking for reminding us about the monthly MIT flea market.  I can't believe I forgot that!  It looks like Sunday, Aug. 20 is the best date for us to visit.  (http://web.mit.edu/w1gsl/Public/flyer)

                  Excellent point about the TMRC as well.  They are open Saturdays (see http://tmrc.mit.edu/visit.html) so it shouldn't be a problem.  Of course we would ping them ahead of time.

                  > There is much to see in New England, mostly
                  in the Boston area...
                  > A list: You-Do-It Electronics (a tinkerer's
                  superstore), Rhode Island
                  > Computer Museum, MIT Museum, Harvard's public
                  exhibit of
                  > the Mark-1 computer
                  > and others, and three excellent
                  technical bookstores
                  > within a one-block space.  Boston's Science
                  Museum [with] a
                  > cool planetarium and IMAX theater.  There's also
                  the New
                  > England Aquarium..

                  > Some things are closed on
                  Sundays, so ideally we'd do this
                  > trip on a Friday
                  > and Saturday,
                  or maybe even a Friday-Sunday.
                  > The middle of August would be a
                  good time for this event.

                  The MIT/Harvard area is beautiful in August.

                  >From central NJ, it's a several hour drive to Boston for me.
                  So some
[...]

                • Bryan Pope
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 29, 2006
                    Herb Johnson wrote:
                    > Hard to imagine going to Boston but not staying for the MIT Swap Meet,
                    > which is on third Sunday mornings into the early afternoon, on the MIT
                    > campus at a parking facility (inside and out). It could be an
                    > on-the-way-out activity. It seems to be good for some older SGI/Sun
                    > stuff, a bit of older PC/game machine stuff, the odd test equipment
                    > from labs, even machine tools. Also some of the sellers bring items
                    > strictly for show: an Enigma machine was displayed when I went a few
                    > years ago.

                    I have been to a few of these as well - here is their webpage -
                    http://web.mit.edu/w1mx/www/swapfest.html . They sometimes also have
                    stuff like C64s and old Macs.

                    The best burger place is Mr. & Mrs. Bartley's Burger Cottage in Harvard
                    Square, Cambridge. A whole lot of different burgers cooked just the way
                    you like them and they have names like the "Dick Cheney burger". Also
                    for Mexican food Margarita's in Waltham is very good IMHO.

                    Cheers,

                    Bryan
                  • Evan
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 29, 2006
                      Correct, the best burgers in metro Boston!
                    • David Comley
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 31, 2006
                        The July and August MIT flea markets are a little
                        smaller than the ones later in the year because so
                        many people are out of town - but on balance probably
                        still worth the trip if combined with another event of
                        some sort.

                        -Dave

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 31, 2006
                          Yes, that would be just one stop of many on the trip.

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 4 10:34 PM
                            After much consideration, I humbly suggest a three-day weekend of Fri, Aug. 18 - Sun., Aug 20 for our Boston-area road trip.  I chose this weeekend because the MIT swap meet is only held once a month.  July's is the 16th, which is probably too soon for most people to plan and get Friday off from work.  September is no good for me personally, and I'm not going to plan a road trip that I can't attend!  So that leaves August and late October.  October, in my opinion, is also no good for a variety of reasons, the most serious being cold weather and being too near date-wise to VCF.

                            As for travel, we can reverse-engineer that plan based on the itinerary (below), devising a few meet-up points until the whole caravan is together.  We could rent a large van to travel together, or we could have some people volunteer to do the driving, with passengers paying for the gas and tolls.

                            Either way, here is an itinerary:

                            Friday:
                            - Morning -- Take the I-95 route (rather than the I-84/I-90 route), get to Rhode Island by the early afternoon
                            - Have a quick lunch, then visit Rhode Island Computer Museum (I'll make an appointment)
                            - Drive one more hour north, spend an hour at You-Do-It Electronics (open until 9pm weekdays)
                            - Check into a hotel in Cambridge, have late dinner (lots of stuff open late in Cambridge!)

                            Saturday:
                            - Morning: Two excellent bookstores (MIT Coop, Quantum Books, and they're across the street from each other!)
                            - Mid-day: Take the subway one stop to Harvard Square, see the Mark-1 computer etc., have lunch
                            - Afternoon: Wide open -- perhaps New England Aquarium (pricey), Science Museum (mostly kid stuff) -- or we could actually get some culture and visit some tourist spots in Boston, such as Quincy Market (amazing food and shopping), walk the Freedom Trail (Rev. War stuff), etc. ... LOL and at some point we'll have to pose for pictures on the legendary "Smoots" bridge.
                            - Evening: We can vote on a fun activity, such as Jillians (massive place to play arcade/amusement-style games), F1 Boston (massive indoor go-kart racing, althought that would require driving, it's not on the subway), or bar-hopping in Cambridge (Harvard / Central / Kendall squares)

                            Sunday:
                            - MIT Swap Meet, 9am-2pm, followed by lunch, followed by MIT Press Bookstore (open until 6pm)
                            - Slow drive home, maybe a pit stop to see collections of Jim (Hartford area, CT) or Sridhar (in Poughkeepsie, NY)...?

                            Just so everyone knows, I chose this weekend because the MIT swap meet is only once per month.  The timing means I'll have to miss watching three Yankees-Red Sox games (the Yanks will actually be in Boston that weekend, just like us), so that ought to show just much I care about MARCH!!!   :)

                            For planning purposes (hotel, RICM, people taking off work Friday, etc.), please let me know if you can attend ** AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. **

                            The actual itinerary can and probably will change; suggestions for that are welcome.

                            As for the hotel, I will look for someplace moderately priced.  Someplace nicer than a Days Inn, but cheaper than a Marriott.

                            - Evan

                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 5 8:31 PM
                              Evan,

                              The date looks good and the interary is about what I had in mind. Wasn't there more than just the Mark I that we wanted to see at Harvard - some other collection? As to entertainment, a brew pub with great burgers is preferred to bar-hopping.

                              Jim

                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 5 9:33 PM
                                >>> As to entertainment, a brew pub with great burgers is preferred to bar-hopping

                                Plenty of those in Cambridge, from the big chain (John Harvard's) to the indy place with Boston's best burgers (Mr. Bartley's).