MARCH event thread #1: possible swapmeet date

    Message 1 of 2 , May 28, 2006
      Hello MARCHins,

      There's a hamfest run by OMARC (Ocean-Monmouth Antique Radio Club, which is
      another InfoAge tenant) on Saturday, Oct. 7, at the InfoAge campus. I think
      that event happens in the building near the big satellite. It might be a
      good idea for us to run a swapmeet on the same day in the main building.

      If we shrink the booths to 6 feet wide by 4 feet deep, then we can fit about
      35 sellers inside. We'd make it a "bring your own table" event (or milk
      crates or whatever people choose), strictly limited to 6x4 feet per
      purchased stall. The OMARC club charges $10 for a booth and I think that's
      a reasonable amount, especially since we won't have to buy t-shirts and
      pizza this time.

      We heard a wide range of opinions (both on-list and messages sent to me
      privately) about the scope of this event. The majority of people support
      having the booths available for anyone to purchase (not just for MARCH
      people), definitely limited to vintage gear, but with "vintage" not as
      strictly enforced as at VCF (we'll look the other way if someone sticks a
      'for sale' sign on his 386.) That way, we'll still attract lots of people
      (just like at VCF East) and we won't step on the toes of TCF or other
      mainstream computer shows.

      I'm not sure if OMARC charges admission to their event. The flyer for their
      April event says buyers get in for free, but I don't see how they possibly
      make any money that way. I don't know if people will pay $10 to get in like
      they did at VCF (since VCF is a much more specialized event), so perhaps we
      could just make this one a flat cost of $5 a head, with 13 and younger free
      again.

      Except for advertising and our incremental insurance bill (which we have to
      pay anyway), our costs to host this event would be very low, so the revenue
      would be almost all profit.

      The event would be a nice option for people who either can't travel to
      California for VCF 9 or can't wait until next spring for VCF East 4.0. :)

      Let the feedback flow in! (Keep in mind that the actual date and OMARC
      aspect is dependent on whether they like the idea. If they don't like it,
      which is fine too, then we'll just pick a different date, perhaps the week
      before on Sept. 30.)

      - Evan
    • Herb Johnson
      Message 2 of 2 , May 29, 2006

        > Hello MARCHins,
        >
        > There's a hamfest run by OMARC (Ocean-Monmouth Antique Radio
        > Club, which is another InfoAge tenant) on Saturday, Oct. 7,
        > at the InfoAge campus. I think
        > that event happens in the building near the big satellite.
        > It might be a good idea for us to run a swapmeet on the
        > same day in the main building.

        Some thoughts.

        It's possible the OMARC people would see MARCH as taking advantage of
        their advertizing, and drawing some sellers from them and thus some
        income. On the other hand, some kind of cooperation and a mutual event
        could be mutually beneficial, and also make for good relations within
        the InfoAge "family". I think the MARCH leadership should discuss this
        directly with OMARC's hamfest committee and see what could be done
        together; or whether the MARCH event should be seperate in time.

        Seems to me there is not enough info about the OMARC event, most
        notibly if they are charging admission. Every hamfest I've gone to
        charged admission. If they charge admission, MARCH is in effect
        contributing to the "gate", and so its involment is a plus for OMARC.
        MARCH's involvement also helps those hamfests sellers who would not
        otherwise bring that "old" computer stuff because of likely lack of
        interest. And, if the event is done jointly, OMARC may appreciate a
        few more hands in assistance. But it's also possible the OMARC event
        and the club is well established, thank you, and "assistance" may not
        be desired.

        I think it's reasonable to charge admission to attendees. A few
        dollars will not stop anyone who is coming to buy something, or to
        just look around. October is pretty late, so it will be chilly and
        weather may not suit an outdoor event - but do we have HEAT for an
        indoor event? Otherwise October provides four months of time to
        prepare the site and get the word out, assuming it takes a month to
        decide whether it's a "go" or not.

        Thanks to Evan for persuing this.

        Herb Johnson

        Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA