need to borrow Hub (or Switch)....[was]Re: [midatlanticretro] Need Commodore 1702 Video Cables for VCF exhibit

  • Dan Roganti
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 25, 2014

      On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 12:56 AM, Jeffrey Brace <ark72axow@...> wrote:
      >From: Dan Roganti
      >oh hey, since you have the 9x monitors already - I don't have to bring mine
      >then - or maybe I should bring it as a backup
      >But I can still bring the cable - I'll add it to our checklist

      No Dan I was including your monitor with the 9. I have two and I'm borrowing
      6 from MARCH.

      oops, my bad.
      I'll still bring it with me then

      BTW, we need to borrow a Hub(or Switch)
      big enough for 9ports -- either 10bT or 100bT is fine
      this one I have here has been sitting around way too long
      I noticed the pins in the RJ45 conn are tarnished/rusted very badly
      the last guy must have had this in a garage.
      All I have now is an 8port

      Dan

    • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 25, 2014
        Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> writes:

        >On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 12:56 AM, Jeffrey Brace <ark72axow@...> wrote:
        >
        >> >From: Dan Roganti
        >> >oh hey, since you have the 9x monitors already - I don't have to bring
        >> mine
        >> >then - or maybe I should bring it as a backup
        >> >But I can still bring the cable - I'll add it to our checklist
        >>
        >> No Dan I was including your monitor with the 9. I have two and I'm
        >> borrowing
        >> 6 from MARCH.
        >

        >oops, my bad.
        >I'll still bring it with me then
        >
        >BTW, we need to borrow a Hub(or Switch)
        >big enough for 9ports -- either 10bT or 100bT is fine
        >this one I have here has been sitting around way too long
        >I noticed the pins in the RJ45 conn are tarnished/rusted very badly
        >the last guy must have had this in a garage.
        >All I have now is an 8port

        I could bring one (16 port 10bT repeater or 100bT switch). What do you
        really need? Let me know.

      • Dan Roganti
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 25, 2014

          On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 7:54 AM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- <VAXman@...> wrote:
          Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> writes:

          >BTW, we need to borrow a Hub(or Switch)
          >big enough for 9ports -- either 10bT or 100bT is fine
          >this one I have here has been sitting around way too long
          >I noticed the pins in the RJ45 conn are tarnished/rusted very badly
          >the last guy must have had this in a garage.
          >All I have now is an 8port

          I could bring one (16 port 10bT repeater or 100bT switch).  What do you
          really need?  Let me know.

          that would be great
          At minimum all we need is a repeater
          And the 10bT speed is plenty enough
          So we can go with that one.

          thanks !
          Dan

        • Kelly D. Leavitt
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 25, 2014
            > BTW, we need to borrow a Hub(or Switch)

            Dan:
            I am bringing two to give to someone else in March (I don't remember who, I think Dave and someone else). Use one of them. One is 48 ports, the other is 16 ports.

            Kelly
          • Dan Roganti
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 25, 2014

              On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 8:23 AM, Kelly D. Leavitt <kelly@...> wrote:
              > BTW, we need to borrow a Hub(or Switch)

              Dan:
                I am bringing two to give to someone else in March (I don't remember who, I think Dave and someone else). Use one of them. One is 48 ports, the other is 16 ports.

              whoa -- hubs, repeaters and switches are flying everywhere - better duck  :)
              Vaxman had replied a few min before with something
              thanks for the offer Kelly

              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 25, 2014
                Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> writes:

                >On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 7:54 AM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- <
                >VAXman@...> wrote:
                >
                >> Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> writes:
                >> >
                >> >BTW, we need to borrow a Hub(or Switch)
                >> >big enough for 9ports -- either 10bT or 100bT is fine
                >> >this one I have here has been sitting around way too long
                >> >I noticed the pins in the RJ45 conn are tarnished/rusted very badly
                >> >the last guy must have had this in a garage.
                >> >All I have now is an 8port
                >>
                >> I could bring one (16 port 10bT repeater or 100bT switch). What do you
                >> really need? Let me know.
                >>

                >that would be great
                >At minimum all we need is a repeater
                >And the 10bT speed is plenty enough
                >So we can go with that one.

                OK. Cables???

                I can bring connectors and cripper tool, and cable if need be.

              • Dan Roganti
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 25, 2014

                  On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 9:48 AM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- <VAXman@...> wrote:
                  Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> writes:

                  >On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 7:54 AM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- <
                  >VAXman@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> writes:
                  >> >
                  >> >BTW, we need to borrow a Hub(or Switch)
                  >> >big enough for 9ports -- either 10bT or 100bT is fine
                  >> >this one I have here has been sitting around way too long
                  >> >I noticed the pins in the RJ45 conn are tarnished/rusted very badly
                  >> >the last guy must have had this in a garage.
                  >> >All I have now is an 8port
                  >>
                  >> I could bring one (16 port 10bT repeater or 100bT switch).  What do you
                  >> really need?  Let me know.
                  >>

                  >that would be great
                  >At minimum all we need is a repeater
                  >And the 10bT speed is plenty enough
                  >So we can go with that one.

                  OK.  Cables???

                  I can bring connectors and cripper tool, and cable if need be.

                  Jeff borrowed the lan cables from IXR the last time we had the workshop.
                  I think he planned to get them again - have to ask him

                  Dan

                • Neil Cherry
                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 25, 2014
                    On 03/25/2014 10:07 AM, Dan Roganti wrote:

                    > OK. Cables???
                    >
                    > I can bring connectors and cripper tool, and cable if need be.
                    >
                    > Jeff borrowed the lan cables from IXR the last time we had the workshop.
                    > I think he planned to get them again - have to ask him

                    I'm not sure the cables are still there. There are a couple but the number
                    has dwindled. Try to have a backup just in case.

                    http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site
                    http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog
                  • Jeffrey Brace
                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 25, 2014
                      From: Neil Cherry

                      On 03/25/2014 10:07 AM, Dan Roganti wrote:

                      > OK. Cables???
                      >
                      > I can bring connectors and cripper tool, and cable if need be.
                      >
                      > Jeff borrowed the lan cables from IXR the last time we had the workshop.
                      > I think he planned to get them again - have to ask him

                      >I'm not sure the cables are still there. There are a couple but the number
                      >has dwindled. Try to have a backup just in case.

                      Dan Wobser let me keep the ones that we borrowed. I split two 25 foot into 4
                      12 & 1/2 foot. I have a few 5 or 6 footers around and maybe one more 25 foot
                      that I can split in two. We should be ok. I will post if we need any.

                      Thanks!
                    • Neil Cherry
                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 26, 2014
                        On 03/26/2014 12:50 AM, Jeffrey Brace wrote:
                        > From: Neil Cherry

                        >> I'm not sure the cables are still there. There are a couple but the number
                        >> has dwindled. Try to have a backup just in case.
                        >
                        > Dan Wobser let me keep the ones that we borrowed. I split two 25 foot into 4
                        > 12 & 1/2 foot. I have a few 5 or 6 footers around and maybe one more 25 foot
                        > that I can split in two. We should be ok. I will post if we need any.

                        How dare he! ;-)

                        We have at least one cable that has been cut (blue), it's still a
                        decent length if you can add ends to it. I'm going to suggest not
                        keeping the current batch as I think they're not too many (other
                        then the blue one, if you fix it, it is okay to keep).

                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 26, 2014

                          On 03/26/2014 12:50 AM, Jeffrey Brace wrote:

                          > From: Neil Cherry
                          >>> I'm not sure the cables are still there. There are a couple but the number
                          >> has dwindled. Try to have a backup just in case.
                          >>
                          > Dan Wobser let me keep the ones that we borrowed. I split two 25 foot into 4 > 12 & 1/2 foot. I have a few 5 or 6 footers around and maybe one more 25 foot > that I can split in two. We should be ok. I will post if we need any.
                          >How dare he! ;-) >We have at least one cable that has been cut (blue), it's still a decent length if you can add ends to it. I'm going to suggest not keeping the current batch as I think they're not too many (other then the blue one, if you fix it, it is okay to keep).
                          I have an entire storage tub full of cables if you need more. I plan to send a list of stuff I have available asap...been busy
                          bd

                        • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 26, 2014
                            Neil Cherry <ncherry@...> writes:

                            >On 03/26/2014 12:50 AM, Jeffrey Brace wrote:
                            >> From: Neil Cherry
                            >
                            >>> I'm not sure the cables are still there. There are a couple but the number
                            >>> has dwindled. Try to have a backup just in case.
                            >>
                            >> Dan Wobser let me keep the ones that we borrowed. I split two 25 foot into 4
                            >> 12 & 1/2 foot. I have a few 5 or 6 footers around and maybe one more 25 foot
                            >> that I can split in two. We should be ok. I will post if we need any.
                            >
                            >How dare he! ;-)
                            >
                            >We have at least one cable that has been cut (blue), it's still a
                            >decent length if you can add ends to it. I'm going to suggest not
                            >keeping the current batch as I think they're not too many (other
                            >then the blue one, if you fix it, it is okay to keep).

                            Well, I *did* offer to bring cable, connectors and crimper. ;)

                            Roughly, how long and how many cables are needed?

                          • Jeffrey Brace
                            Message 13 of 18 , Mar 26, 2014
                              >Well, I *did* offer to bring cable, connectors and crimper. ;)

                              Yes, please bring it because Jeff Jonas is not able to split the last blue
                              cable I have, since he is busy.

                              So far I have:
                              2 - 5 foot
                              2 - 6 foot
                              1 - 7 foot
                              1 - 10 foot
                              4 - 12.5 foot
                              1 - 25 foot

                              1 - ?? Dan Roganti will bring.

                              > Roughly, how long and how many cables are needed?

                              We will need 9 cables. I'm not sure how long. We will be using the train
                              table which is 15 feet long. We will have 9 commodore 64's spread out on it.
                              All of them will be connected to a hub, which I assume is in the middle. So
                              enough length for all of them to connect to the hub. I guess the shorter
                              ones could be in the center and the longer ones on the edges.

                              Jeff Brace
                            • Jeffrey Brace
                              Message 14 of 18 , Mar 26, 2014
                                >I have an entire storage tub full of cables if you need more. I plan to
                                >send a list of stuff I have available asap...been busy

                                Bill Degnan if you could bring 3 or 4 ethernet cables. Do you know how long
                                they are?

                                Jeff Brace
                              • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                                Message 15 of 18 , Mar 27, 2014
                                  "Jeffrey Brace" <ark72axow@...> writes:

                                  >>Well, I *did* offer to bring cable, connectors and crimper. ;)
                                  >
                                  >Yes, please bring it because Jeff Jonas is not able to split the last blue
                                  >cable I have, since he is busy.
                                  >
                                  >So far I have:
                                  >2 - 5 foot
                                  >2 - 6 foot
                                  >1 - 7 foot
                                  >1 - 10 foot
                                  >4 - 12.5 foot
                                  >1 - 25 foot
                                  >
                                  >1 - ?? Dan Roganti will bring.

                                  ACK.

                                • Dan Roganti
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Mar 27, 2014

                                    On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 1:18 AM, Jeffrey Brace <ark72axow@...> wrote:

                                    1 - ?? Dan Roganti will bring.

                                    yes I will, I added that to our checklist

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Mar 27, 2014
                                      On 03/27/2014 08:04 AM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
                                      >>> Well, I *did* offer to bring cable, connectors and crimper. ;)
                                      >>
                                      >> Yes, please bring it because Jeff Jonas is not able to split the last blue
                                      >> cable I have, since he is busy.
                                      >>
                                      >> So far I have:
                                      >> 2 - 5 foot
                                      >> 2 - 6 foot
                                      >> 1 - 7 foot
                                      >> 1 - 10 foot
                                      >> 4 - 12.5 foot
                                      >> 1 - 25 foot
                                      >>
                                      >> 1 - ?? Dan Roganti will bring.
                                      >
                                      > ACK.

                                      I think it's a fear of crimp tools, Brian. That's the only
                                      explanation I can come up with.

                                      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                      New Kensington, PA
                                    • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Mar 27, 2014
                                        Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                                        >>> Yes, please bring it because Jeff Jonas is not able to split the last blue
                                        >>> cable I have, since he is busy.
                                        >>>
                                        >>> So far I have:
                                        >>> 2 - 5 foot
                                        >>> 2 - 6 foot
                                        >>> 1 - 7 foot
                                        >>> 1 - 10 foot
                                        >>> 4 - 12.5 foot
                                        >>> 1 - 25 foot
                                        >>>
                                        >>> 1 - ?? Dan Roganti will bring.
                                        >>
                                        >> ACK.
                                        >
                                        > I think it's a fear of crimp tools, Brian. That's the only
                                        >explanation I can come up with.

                                        I don't remember that one from Lucy Van Pelt's list of phobias enumerated
                                        when Charlie Brown sat down for his 5 cent phychiatric consultation. ;)