ASR 33 Teletype

    Message 1 of 4 , May 26, 2006
      Yesterday my friend Dave and I went about 80 miles north to pick
      up an ASR 33 Teletype. It appears to be a 1970-74 era model. It
      was working when last used and is pretty much complete. The only
      thing missing is the paper advance knob for the regular paper. There
      are still little punches in the paper tape collection bin. Included
      was a 300 baud acoustic modem and an adpater cable that allows a
      person
      to hook the teletype to a TRS 80 Model 1. I was also given
      copies of the manuals (until he finds the originals) and a case of
      the oil paper and a case of the paper tape.

      You know what I will be doing Memorial weekend!

      I have not yet taken a picture of the actual unit, but here is a
      pic from the web for those of you who are not familiar with an ASR 33:
      http://www.daedalus.co.nz/don/computing/asr33.html

      Lastly, he mentioned that he had a "..KIM computer downstairs someplace.
      ." if I wanted it, he'd let me know when he dug it up. Dig man, dig!

      Bill

      -- E N D --
    • David Comley
      Message 2 of 4 , May 26, 2006
        Ah yes ! Great fun. The best thing about the ASR33 -
        the smell of hot oil once it warms up.

        I made myself a tape loop for the reader punch so I
        can exercise mine standalone once in a while. Just
        punch out a message with a bunch of repeated ESC's at
        the top and bottom, loop it round and glue it to
        itself so the sprocket and data holes line up. Then
        fire up the reader and off it goes.

        I'm told that the best preventive care you can apply
        to these is total cleaning followed by major oiling.

        -Dave

        --- B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

        > up an ASR 33 Teletype. It appears to be a 1970-74
        > era model. It
        > was working when last used and is pretty much
        > complete.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • ysgdhio
        Message 3 of 4 , May 26, 2006
          On 5/26/06, David Comley <david_comley@...> wrote:
          > I made myself a tape loop for the reader punch so I
          > can exercise mine standalone once in a while. Just
          > punch out a message with a bunch of repeated ESC's at
          > the top and bottom, loop it round and glue it to
          > itself so the sprocket and data holes line up.

          For a message, you might try this sequence:
          U*U*U*U*U*U*U*U*U*U*U*U*U*U*U*U*U*U*

          When you see it punched, you'll know why.

          Andy
          Message 4 of 4 , May 26, 2006
            David and Andy,
            Thanks for the suggestions. I plan to carefully clean first, take my time.