ACE-100 sn 100001... got some history

  • bobk2ut
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 14, 2014
      Quick summary: Franklin was cleaning out a warehouse a few weeks ago and had some old machines.  I was contacted and took almost everything.  One of the items is an ACE-100 (the first machine they ever made) serial number 1000001.  It has a plate on the front with the name of the Director the machine was given to.

      I just got off the phone with Joel Shusterman, founder and first President of Franklin Computer Corp, and one of VCF's speakers on Saturday morning.  I asked Joel if the serial number really implied the very first machine and he confirmed it: that was the VERY first machine made.

      The Director who it was given to was the biggest investor in Franklin, so he got the very first machine.

      This machine will be running at VCF.

      I've got to put a plug in for Joel, along with some South Jersey computer history.  Back in the 70s, there weren't many computer stores around, and my brother-in-law took me down to a store in Cherry Hill (Computer Emporium???).  There was a guy there who spoke to everyone, even the 15 year old who couldn't afford almost everything in the store.  A few years later, I ended up working at Franklin Computer sitting outside the President's office.  He was out the first week I was there, but recognized him the moment he came back... the same guy who owned the computer store and spent time talking to me.

      In 1983 Computer Reseller News named him amongst the top 25 most influential people in the computer industry: http://business.highbeam.com/5338/article-1G1-53247227/15-years-crn-top-25-executives  Go through the list and see how many names you recognize and how many of the companies still exist... not many.

      Joel will probably be hanging around after his talk and he's got a million great stories about the early days of the personal computer revolution.

      Bob
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 14, 2014
        >> Franklin was cleaning out a warehouse a few weeks ago and had some old machines. I was contacted and took almost everything. One of the items is an
        ACE-100 (the first machine they ever made) serial number 1000001. It has
        a plate on the front with the name of the Director the machine was given
        to. I just got off the phone with Joel Shusterman, founder and first
        > President of Franklin Computer Corp, and one of VCF's speakers on Saturday morning. I asked Joel if the serial number really implied the very first machine and he confirmed it: that was the VERY first machine made. The Director who it was given to was the biggest investor in Franklin, so he got the very first machine. This machine will be running at VCF.

        That's great!!