Low serial number Franklin ACE 100

  • Bob Applegate
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2014
      The ACE-100 was the first computer Franklin made, and a few of the very first were given to the Directors and upper management with a personalized nameplate on front.

      Franklin Electronic Publishers is moving into a smaller office and asked for the warehouse area to be cleared out. A contact took some photos and I picked which machines were historically significant, including an ACE-100. I finally got around to taking a good look and found it is one with the nameplate, and has a pretty unique serial number: 100001. Ie, possibly the first or at least one of the very first (who knows, maybe the first batch all had the same serial number). Franklin traditionally put the serial number on the motherboard, case, power supply and keyboard. There is no number on the case but the same number appears on the other three pieces.

      A label on the MB says "Tested good 3-15" and when I started about a month later all employees were still given ACE-100s. It was a few months later when the ACE-1000 came out. I doubt they shipped more than a few hundred ACE-100s.

      Now to see if it boots and if the keyboard still works. This might end up as a static display at VCF if not.

      Bob