Suggestions for composite to VGA and/or HDMI converter

  • bobk2ut
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 27, 2014
      I'm not going to be able to squeeze all my computers and large monitors into my small car for VCF and am thinking of using some LCD panels for display.  None of them take composite video, of course, so does someone have experience with a particular brand/model converts that work?  Or horror stories of models to avoid?  Searching on Amazon is tiresome because their search tends to produce VGA to composite solutions.

      Thanks
      Bob
    • Wesley Furr
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 27, 2014
        I bought one of those cheap composite/s-video to VGA ones you see on ebay...seemed to work reasonably well...as well as you could expect composite to look on a VGA monitor anyway.

        Wesley

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 27, 2014
          Maybe MARCH can lend you a monitor or two.

          I bought one of those cheap composite/s-video to VGA ones you see on ebay...seemed to work reasonably well...as well as you could expect composite to look on a VGA monitor anyway.

          Wesley

          I'm not going to be able to squeeze all my computers and large monitors into my small car for VCF and am thinking of using some LCD panels for display.  None of them take composite video, of course, so does someone have experience with a particular brand/model converts that work?  Or horror stories of models to avoid?  Searching on Amazon is tiresome because their search tends to produce VGA to composite solutions.

          Thanks
          Bob

        • Ray Sills
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 27, 2014
            On Feb 27, 2014, at 8:29 AM, <bob@...> <bob@...>
            wrote:

            > I'm not going to be able to squeeze all my computers and large
            > monitors into my small car for VCF and am thinking of using some LCD
            > panels for display. None of them take composite video, of course,
            > so does someone have experience with a particular brand/model
            > converts that work? Or horror stories of models to avoid?
            > Searching on Amazon is tiresome because their search tends to
            > produce VGA to composite solutions.
            >
            > Thanks
            > Bob

            After you cost things out, you might want to consider an inexpensive
            TV set. All of them have a composite video input, and most also have
            a VGA input. Oh, and they have an off-the-air and cable NTSC/ATSC
            tuner, too. Then, you have a spare TV for the house. Not too long
            ago, I got one from AD2DA for $55 that runs from battery power. Of
            course, it has a small screen (7"). I've seen TV sets for $99 or less
            in the stores.

            73 de Ray
            K2ULR
          • David Riley
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 27, 2014
              On Feb 27, 2014, at 8:29 AM, <bob@...> <bob@...> wrote:

              > I'm not going to be able to squeeze all my computers and large monitors into my small car for VCF and am thinking of using some LCD panels for display. None of them take composite video, of course, so does someone have experience with a particular brand/model converts that work? Or horror stories of models to avoid? Searching on Amazon is tiresome because their search tends to produce VGA to composite solutions.

              Monoprice has some that have decent reviews, but I haven't taken the plunge
              yet. Most convert to HDMI, which can be easily converted to DVI if you need.
              Let me know if you use any; I'm particularly curious about latency, because
              I've found that the latency using my AV receiver to convert to HDMI from both
              composite and component is unacceptably high for a lot of games (about 100 ms,
              which makes you feel like you're playing drunk). I'd like to find a good
              solution, though I'm beginning to come to the conclusion that I should just
              roll my own for retrocomputing with good pixel smearing filters to make the
              Apple II look like it ought to.

              Speaking of which, if I made something like that, would people be willing to
              pay upwards of $50 for a box? That's about what parts would cost in qty 50
              or so.

              - Dave
            • Jeff Galinat
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 28, 2014
                On 2/27/2014 12:43 PM, David Riley wrote:

                 I'd like to find a good
                solution, though I'm beginning to come to the conclusion that I should just
                roll my own for retrocomputing with good pixel smearing filters to make the
                Apple II look like it ought to.

                Speaking of which, if I made something like that, would people be willing to
                pay upwards of $50 for a box? That's about what parts would cost in qty 50
                or so.

                - Dave

                Hi Dave,
                  I would be willing to pay $50 for such a device if it allowed me to use a VGA CRT or LCD monitor with the Apple II with good color.  I have used some of the composite to VGA converters but the color doesn't work right because of Woz's ingenious solution to provide low cost color.
                Regards,
                Jeff

              • dougmemphis
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 2, 2014
                  I recommend considering finding used multi input LCD Monitors.
                  I have bought several from craigslist and  'pawn' type shops in my area that have
                  served me quite well for supporting composite devices.
                  One I really like is the Dell 2001FP with composite, s-video, VGA and DVI & rotates to portrait mode.
                  Not only versatile, I find it to be a great primary monitor.
                  Get two for a dual monitor setup and rotate one- my favorite setup for working on one and
                  having a web research page up on the other.
                  http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Dell-UltraSharp-2001FP-20-1-LCD-Monitor-/52117117