New Altair32 Emulator Release/New Web site

  • Richard A. Cini
    Message 1 of 17 , May 22, 2006

      All:

                  Over the weekend I finalized the latest release of the Altair32 Emulator. This latest version – two years in development – wraps-up a string of changes to the emulation and adds some new emulated hardware: a Z80 CPU core, emulation of the Cromemco Dazzler, and, the best of all, support for the Altair32 Front Panel (another project of mine). The Altair32 Front Panel was introduced at VCFe two weeks ago and is a USB-based peripheral for the PC that enables one to interact with the Emulator as if at a real Altair. The Front Panel is a full-sized replica of the original Altair 8800 front panel. The dress panel I created can even be used as a replacement for a real 8800. The Front Panel should be ready for sale in the next 60 days after performing some last-minute optimizations to reduce manufacturing costs.

                  As part of this, I have launched a new Web site specifically for the Altair32: http://www.altair32.com which also has a support bulletin board. In the Announcements section of the BBS, there is a short survey to gauge interest in the front panel. Of course, feel free to send me any questions. The picture on the index page of the site is the actual front panel (with the exception of the name plate strip, which I haven’t made yet).

                  Enjoy the emulator.

      Rich

      Rich Cini
      Collector of classic computers
      Build Master for the Altair32 Emulation Project
      Web site: http://highgate.comm.sfu.ca/~rcini/classiccmp/
      /************************************************************/

      Message 2 of 17 , May 22, 2006
        Rich,
        Congrats. This is quite an accomplishment. Keep us posted.
        Bill

        >All:
        >
        >            Over
        >the weekend I finalized the latest release of the Altair32 Emulator.
        This
        >latest version – two years in development – wraps-up a string of
        >changes to the emulation and adds some new emulated hardware: a
        Z80 CPU core,
        >emulation of the Cromemco Dazzler, and, the best of all, support
        for the
        >Altair32 Front Panel (another project of mine). The Altair32 Front
        Panel was
        >introduced at VCFe two weeks ago and is a USB-based peripheral for
        the <snip>
      • Richard A. Cini
        Message 3 of 17 , May 24, 2006
          Bill:

          Thanks a lot. I have an order for two so far.

          Hey, did your wife have the baby yet?

          Message 4 of 17 , May 24, 2006
            rich,
            yes.
            Alice Cea Degnan
            8lbs 9oz

            everyone is healthy ..and tired too.

            bd

            At Wednesday, 24 May 2006, you wrote:

            >Bill:
            >
            > Thanks a lot. I have an order for two so far.
            >
            > Hey, did your wife have the baby yet?
            >
            >Rich
            >
            >Rich Cini
            >Collector of classic computers
            >Build Master for the Altair32 Emulation Project
            >Web site: http://highgate.comm.sfu.ca/~rcini/classiccmp/
            >/************************************************************/

            Web site

            >Rich,
            >Congrats. This is quite an accomplishment. Keep us posted.
            >Bill
            >
            >>All:
            >>
            >>            Over
            >>the weekend I finalized the latest release of the Altair32 Emulator.
            >This
            >>latest version – two years in development – wraps-up a string of
            >>changes to the emulation and adds some new emulated hardware: a
            >Z80 CPU core,
            >>emulation of the Cromemco Dazzler, and, the best of all, support
            >for the
            >>Altair32 Front Panel (another project of mine). The Altair32 Front
            >Panel was
            >>introduced at VCFe two weeks ago and is a USB-based peripheral for
            >the <snip>
            >
            >Yahoo! Groups Links

            -- E N D --
          • Richard A. Cini

              > Thanks a lot. I have an order for two so far.
              >
              > Hey, did your wife have the baby yet?
              >
              >Rich
              >
              >Rich Cini
              >Collector of classic computers
              >Build Master for the Altair32 Emulation Project
              >Web site: http://highgate.comm.sfu.ca/~rcini/classiccmp/
              >/************************************************************/

              -- E N D --

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Kelly Leavitt
              Message 6 of 17 , May 25, 2006
                Rich:
                I didn't see a price on the web site. I hate to ask, but how much for the front panel? Of course, I have been known to miss the obvious....

                Kelly

                Congrats. This is quite an accomplishment. Keep us posted.
                Bill

                >All:
                >
                > Over
                >the weekend I finalized the latest release of the Altair32 Emulator.
                This
                >latest version – two years in development – wraps-up a string of
                >changes to the emulation and adds some new emulated hardware: a
                Z80 CPU core,
                >emulation of the Cromemco Dazzler, and, the best of all, support
                for the
                >Altair32 Front Panel (another project of mine). The Altair32 Front
                Panel was
                >introduced at VCFe two weeks ago and is a USB-based peripheral for
                the <snip>

                http://us.click.yahoo.com/.7bhrC/MGxNAA/yQLSAA/S_NqlB/TM
              • Richard A. Cini
                Message 7 of 17 , May 25, 2006
                  Kelly:

                  You didn't miss anything because I haven't posted the prices
                  yet. We are doing some last minute changes to the design to reduce the board
                  size, which will reduce the cost of the partial kit. I figure that I'll have
                  prices posted in a few weeks at the most.

                  The plan is to have a few options. First is board only. Second
                  is board with SMT parts pre-mounted. Third is the second plus a parts kit.
                  Fourth is the sheet metal.

                  http://www.altair32.com/

                  /************************************************************/

                  Message 8 of 17 , May 25, 2006
                    Bill,

                    These are exciting times! How is the sibling taking all this?

                    Message 9 of 17 , May 26, 2006
                      Thanks.
                      Not too bad. Lloyd is a good kid. He has told me a couple of times
                      to "put the baby away now" but no real issues. Tomorrow we are going
                      together just me and him to the farmer's market to look for old computers
                      and matchbox car track. I think that it's important to give the
                      "old" baby some one on one to let him know that he's still special.

                      Message 10 of 17 , May 26, 2006
                        >>> matchbox car track

                        Do you mean that flexible orange track with the big plastic clamps and
                        stuff?

                        Used to love playing with that as a kid, by making the cars do
                        loop-de-loops, jumps over obstacles, etc. .... a friend and I tried
                        replicating Knight Rider by having a car jump over a running model train
                        .... Or sometimes it was also fun to make small Lego cars, run them down
                        those orange tracks, which happened to intersect with model train tracks,
                        which meant a big crash (with Lego car parts and bodies spewed everywhere
                        amongst a derailed train.)

                        Not too bad. Lloyd is a good kid. He has told me a couple of times to "put
                        the baby away now" but no real issues. Tomorrow we are going together just
                        me and him to the farmer's market to look for old computers and matchbox car
                        track. I think that it's important to give the "old" baby some one on one
                        to let him know that he's still special.

                        At Thursday, 25 May 2006, you wrote:

                        >Bill,
                        >
                        >These are exciting times! How is the sibling taking all this?
                        >
                        >Jim

                        Protect your PC from spy ware with award winning anti spy technology. It's
                        free.
                        http://us.click.yahoo.com/97bhrC/LGxNAA/yQLSAA/S_NqlB/TM
                        Message 11 of 17 , May 26, 2006
                          exactly. My son loves those matchbox cars
                          bd

                          At Friday, 26 May 2006, you wrote:

                          >Do you mean that flexible orange track with the big plastic clamps and
                          >stuff?
                          >
                          >Used to love playing with that as a kid, by making the cars do
                          >loop-de-loops, jumps over obstacles, etc. .... a friend and I tried
                          >replicating Knight Rider by having a car jump over a running model
                          train
                          >...... Or sometimes it was also fun to make small Lego cars, run
                          them down
                          >those orange tracks, which happened to intersect with model train
                          tracks,
                          >which meant a big crash (with Lego car parts and bodies spewed everywhere
                          >amongst a derailed train.)

                        • ysgdhio
                          Message 12 of 17 , May 26, 2006

                            > Do you mean that flexible orange track with the big plastic clamps and
                            > stuff?

                            Not to split hairs, but orange track is Hot Wheels.

                            And as long as we're off-topic already...
                            I passed my motorcycle road test this weekend.
                            I'm looking for a reliable Japanese motorcycle, around 250cc-500cc.

                            Thanks,
                            Andy
                          • Bryan Pope
                            Message 13 of 17 , May 26, 2006
                              ysgdhio wrote:

                              matchbox car track

                              Do you mean that flexible orange track with the big plastic clamps and
                              stuff?

                              Not to split hairs, but orange track is Hot Wheels.

                              And as long as we're off-topic already...
                              I passed my motorcycle road test this weekend.
                              I'm looking for a reliable Japanese motorcycle, around 250cc-500cc.

                              Like a Kawasaki Ninja - all black except for blood-red lettering?  mmmmm very 80s!

                              Cheers,

                              Bryan

                            • ysgdhio
                              Message 14 of 17 , May 26, 2006
                                On 5/26/06, Bryan Pope <bryan.pope@...> wrote:
                                > Like a Kawasaki Ninja - all black except for blood-red lettering? mmmmm very 80s!

                                Nope, more like a Honda Rebel but under a thousand bucks.
                              • Kelly Leavitt
                                Message 15 of 17 , May 28, 2006
                                  RE: [midatlanticretro] New Altair32 Emulator Release/New Web site
                                  Rich:
                                    I have a few pictures up on my webserver from VCFE on May 13th. By far, the most hits are on the face on picture of your Altair front panel. I don't know what it means, just thought you'd like to know.

                                  Kelly

                                  The link is:
                                  http://www.catcorner.org/VCFE/magicgallery/HPIM1239.jpg

                                  Message 16 of 17 , May 28, 2006
                                    RE: [midatlanticretro] New Altair32 Emulator Release/New Web site
                                    D'oh

                                    Supposed to be private. Please ignore...

                                    Kelly

                                    Message 17 of 17 , May 28, 2006
                                      RE: [midatlanticretro] New Altair32 Emulator Release/New Web site

                                      Kelly:

                                      Very cool. Thanks very much. I’ve gotten a few inquiries and so far, and two commitments.

                                      Rich

                                      Rich Cini

                                      Collector of classic computers

                                      Lead engineer, Altair32 Emulator