VCF Midwest

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 21, 2005
      Hey, is anyone interested in going to VCF Midwest next month?

      http://computer-refuge.org/vcfmw/

      It's going to be larger than our Trenton exhibit, but not as big as the main
      VCF (fall). They're describing this one as a "VCF Light". I really want to
      go, not just because it'll be fun, but also to see how MARCH should do VCF
      East in the future.

      Alas, it's at Purdue University (Indiana), which is about a two-day drive --
      almost as far west as Disney World is south, from here in New Jersey -- and
      I'm not going to spend $200-$300 on an airplane ticket for this.

      Is anyone interested in driving? Of course I am happy to split the gas and
      driving (my style is "speedy but safe"), but it'd have to be your car, since
      (as we all know by now) very little fits in the Evanmobile, a.k.a. 2-seater
      with a trunk smaller than some microwave ovens.

      I'm serious, I really want to go! Just need a co-conspirator...

      Evan Koblentz's personal homepage: www.snarc.net

      - 700 readers and no spam / Publishes every Monday / Write for us!
    • BOYD BORRILL
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 22, 2005
        Hi Evan;
             Just read your email re the VCF Lite at Perdue. I have ro leave for Key West at about the same time-frame to give my only daughter away at her wedding on June 4th.  But it is logivcal that I speak at the meeting.  I had the first computer store in Indiana and I'm pretty sure my Lafayette store was the first one up there too.  I haven't been contafcted by them, but I'm not surprised.  I have nevver developed the knack of making a name for myself that other people remember.
             If you make it I would be very pleased to meet you, too.  Any suggestions?
        Ray

        Evan <evan947@...> wrote:
[...]

        - W: http://news.computercollector.com  E: news@...

        Pioneer Purveyor of Personal Processing Power
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 22, 2005
          Evan,

          Go for it. Lafayette, Ind., should be a single day drive from Trenton. Just
          keep the radar detector mounted as high as possible. I've driven from western
          Michigan to Connecticut in a single day several times with all the driving in
          daylite.

          Jim

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 6, 2010
            FYI,
            http://chiclassiccomp.org/vcfmw
            It looks like there will be a "green screen experience" as well as other interesting exhibits.

            Although the site has a quick description of my exhibit, here's the full text description, an attempt to represent the MidAtlantic region:

            The SIG

            The computer hobbyist special interest group, or "SIG", became popular in the later 1970's and was comprised of communities of like-minded persons dedicated to a particular computer system or manufacturer. There were hundreds, maybe thousands of these groups in North America and elsewhere. Most SIG's held monthly meetings, published newsletters, and ran SIG-centric bulletin board systems. The SIG was a communication tool, a software library, a knowledge base, and the source of innovation. Often these clubs continued well after a product was canceled or became obsolete and in this way they were the first "vintage computer" hobbyists. The number of SIG's declined in the mid 90's as the World Wide Web diminished the need for such groups.

            My exhibit will demonstrate systems and materials from the New Jersey USA based Timex Sinclair 1000 (ZX81) SIG.

            Bill
          • Jeffrey Brace
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 6, 2010
              And did you know that VCF MidWest will be co-located with ECCC (Emergency Chicagoland Commodore Convention ?
              http://starbase.globalpc.net/eccc/

              To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 6, 2010
                On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 10:05 PM, B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:
                > http://chiclassiccomp.org/vcfmw
                > It looks like there will be a "green screen experience" as well as other interesting exhibits.

                There will? I guess I missed that...what is it?

                > Although the site has a quick description of my exhibit, here's the full text description, an attempt to represent the MidAtlantic region:

                Sorry - I was trying to keep the descriptions short. I can expand it
                a bit if you like.

                --
                jht
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 7, 2010
                  Jason T wrote:
                  On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 10:05 PM, B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

                  http://chiclassiccomp.org/vcfmw
                  It looks like there will be a "green screen experience" as well as other interesting exhibits.

                  There will?  I guess I missed that...what is it?

                  We have been talking about having an exhibit at MARCH's computer museum at InfoAge comprised of timesharing terminals - "green screens"  - that people can use when they visit the MARCH musuem.  The terminals would probably be hooked up to a modern PC however, for support reasons.  It would be a simulated green screen experience.  You're would be the real thing.

                  Although the site has a quick description of my exhibit, here's the full text description, an attempt to represent the MidAtlantic region:

                  Sorry - I was trying to keep the descriptions short.  I can expand it
                  a bit if you like.

                  No need, but thanks.  I would be just as happy with "..a pile of Sinclair 1000's and related stuff that goes with it.." - I like to try to come up with a theme of some sort for my exhibits to make them more interesting.

                  Bill
                • Jason T
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 7, 2010
                    On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 7:01 AM, B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:
                    > We have been talking about having an exhibit at MARCH's computer museum at InfoAge comprised of timesharing terminals - "green screens"  - that people can use when they visit the MARCH musuem.  The terminals would probably be hooked up to a modern PC however, for support reasons.  It would be a simulated green screen experience.  You're would be the real thing.

                    Ahhh....my own display :) I was in video production mode when I saw
                    the "green screen" term. Thinking Chromakey...

                    Our terms will be attached to a terminal server but from there will
                    probably just go to a generic *nix box. Then again, anything on the
                    network will be accessible (if we do it right,) so it all depends on
                    what people bring.

                    > No need, but thanks.  I would be just as happy with "..a pile of Sinclair 1000's and related stuff that goes with it.." - I like to try to come up with a theme of some sort for my exhibits to make them more interesting.

                    I really like the SIG history concept. Should be a good burst of
                    nostalgia for those who were around then.

                    -j