need RD53A MFM drive for DEC 11/73

  • Herb Johnson
    Message 1 of 3 , May 20, 2006
      I've been asked for a RD53A, a MFM hard drive by DEC, for an
      instrument run by a PDP 11/73. This is apparently the same as
      Micropolis 1325. I'm interested in advice as to alternative drives
      which will run without any changes to RSX-11; or of course actual
      drives. I can test drives on some old PC, and drives that have some
      problems AND WHICH are either of these models may be of interest as well.

      I have some clues about hardware and repair; I have an 11/73 myself
      and VERY modest RSX esperience, but I'm not going to be able to bring
      it up immediately or soon. I would not mind chatting with some other
      11/73 owners. Mostly this is an exercise to see what happens when I
      post such requests. NOte my email address at the end of this message
      and the bulk of contacts with me can be done that way. Some general
      and relevant discussion as appropriate can be done here in the maillist.

      Herb JOhnson

      Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
    • Kelly Leavitt
      Message 2 of 3 , May 20, 2006

        I have several Micropolis drives here, but I don't recall the numbers. Do you remember the size of this drive? If it was the one around 70 Meg, I have one here. Don't know about replacements though.

        Kelly
      • Herb Johnson
        Message 3 of 3 , May 22, 2006
          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Kelly Leavitt" <kelly@...>
          wrote:

          From hjohnson:

          > > I've been asked for a RD53A, a MFM hard drive by DEC, for an
          > > instrument run by a PDP 11/73. This is apparently the same as
          > > Micropolis 1325.
          >
          > I have several Micropolis drives here, but I don't recall the
          numbers. Do you remember the size of this drive? If it was the one
          around 70 Meg, I have one here. Don't know about replacements though.

          > Kelly

          It's 70Mb. I'll contact you privately about the details. Thanks!

          Herb Johnson

          Herbert R. Johnson, phone 609-771-1417, New Jersey USA