New 6502 SBC pre-announcement

  • Richard Cini
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 6, 2014
    • 1 Attachment
    • 926 KB
    All —

    Just a quick FYI, I did a major redesign of Daryl Rictor’s 6502 SBC v.2.5 to make some needed improvements and add some neat features. I’ve done one prototype run (which works, but needs two cuts and four jumpers) and a second run, which is due next week.

    The improvements are as follows:
    • Resized board to 6.375” x 4"
    • Bypass caps on all chips
    • On-board DE9F for the console
    • Pushbutton reset switch
    • USB Mini-B jack for power
    • Power LED
    • The big one — Commodore Serial IEC interface with SD2IEC header.
    I’m made changes to the included EhBasic to support the Commodore Serial IEC protocol. It works and supports all Commodore API commands using assembly language and some BASIC 4.0 commands from EhBasic.

    Pricing on the bare board would depend on quantities and if there’s sufficient interest I’ll make a bulk order. Attached is a PDF of the board plot for those interested in looking at it.

    Enjoy!

    Rich

    --
    Rich Cini
    Collector of Classic Computers

  • joshbensadon
    Message 2 of 6 , Feb 6, 2014

      Nice!  Put me down for 1.

    • Richard Cini
      Message 3 of 6 , Feb 15, 2014
        All —

        As an update, I received the second turn of the prototype and it works fine. As of now I have two spare boards for sale @ $30 including shipping in the US. If there is enough of a demand, I can do a larger run (like 20 units) and get some better pricing. Drop me a PM if interested.

        On the Serial IEC interface part of it, the DOS command code is kind of rough at this point — some commands work, other’s don’t, but from machine language it works fine. I’m trying to get a “LLIST” command to work in BASIC because I think that would be useful. If the IEC interface isn’t needed, the parts don’t have to be installed.

        I’ll put together a full net list shortly.

        Thanks!

        Rich

        Message 4 of 6 , Feb 16, 2014
          Being a 'noob' I had to research what-the-heck Rich was talking about with that IEC-thing :->.

          FWIW, http://jderogee.tripod.com/projects/1541-III/files/IEC_disected-IEC_1541_info.pdf is quite helpful.  Interesting too.

          I'm curious as to what peripheral(s) are being tested against with your new build?

          Message 5 of 6 , Feb 16, 2014
            Paul —

            I should have spoken more about that. The genesis of that feature was that Mike Naberezny wanted to use Daryl’s board for a data collection project using cheap Commodore peripherals. So, I grafted some of the VIC-20 kernel ROM code into EhBASIC to make this work. The actual interface is very simple since it’s bit-banged — an LS06 hex inverter/buffer connected to lines on a 6522 VIA.

            Not sure if Mike’s project actually happened, but the capability still exists. Being derived from the original code, it can talk to Commodore printers and disk drives. I’ve tested it with a 1525 printer and various flavors of the “tall” 1541 drives.

            Rich