Already looking to the future

    Message 1 of 9 , May 18, 2006
      Hello MARCHins.

      We still have a boatload of debriefing to do about last weekend's VCF. For
      now, I've conferred with Sellam and we are confident enough to predict that
      VCF East 4.0 will be twice as big as 3.0 and will last two days!

      It's my personal prediction that East 4.0 will rival the California show in
      size and scope. (InfoAge has a room slightly bigger than this year's room.
      It's located to the right of the loading ramp entrance. Most people passed
      it because the entrance was blocked on purpose last weekend. Currently it's
      just a shell with a bunch of busted-up inside walls, but its renovation is
      the next major goal for InfoAge, and it should be ready well ahead of next
      spring. There will also be some classroom space available in the building
      behind the parking lot space which we can use for more lectures if needed.)

      The next InfoAge event is a black-tie-optional public fundraiser and silent
      auction, to be held Saturday night, June 3. The tickets are $100 each and
      every member organization gets two free tickets. I only plan to use one
      ticket so the second one is up for grabs. (Given the value, please only
      claim it if you'll definitely use it.) I'm especially looking forward to
      the chance to schmooze with people who have deep pockets and to the open
      bar, not necessarily in that order. :)

      After that the sky is wide open.

      Per the many suggestions, we should definitely have some ** informal **
      regional get-togethers. These can be anything from random nerd work parties
      at member's houses, to a club picnic, to shoot-the-shit nights at bars -- or
      any combination of the three -- or "something entirely different"...
      suggestions please?

      My very early and un-thought-through idea for a fall swap meet is as
      follows: between the InfoAge events room (where we had the exhibits) and the
      lounge (where we had the speakers), we can easily fit about 40-50 stalls,
      depending on the size. Having the InfoAge people get free tables for us was
      a one-time deal, so we can either sell empty stall spaces (and tell people
      to bring their own folding tables) or we can try to acquire tables on our
      own and hope we don't go bankrupt in the process.

      I vote for the latter option with a twist: between ourselves, our friends,
      local yard sales, and Craigslist / Freecycle, we should be able to acquire
      decent folding tables very cheaply. They don't have to match or be pretty,
      only functional and roughly of standard sizes (such as 2x6 ft. or 2.5x8 ft.)
      There's also a possibility that InfoAge would help us with some matching
      funds, since there's no point in getting tables and using them just for
      MARCH. So, as of this week, I'll be on the lookout for any decent-quality
      rectangular folding tables that are available cheap!! I urge you all to do
      the same thing. A fall swap meet (not just vintage but anything goes as
      long as it's computers) would be mean more exposure for MARCH and InfoAge,
      more $$, and more fun. Another thought: I'll check in with the Trenton
      people about this because obviously we do not want to step on their toes.
      (Erik W., you're on our list here and you volunteer with the TCF, what do
      you think?)

      I also want to resurrect the idea of a MARCH road trip. As we vaguely
      decided last year, a two-day trip to the Boston area is the best bet. Lots
      of places to visit there and on the way to/from -- Rhode Island Computer
      Museum, You-Do-It Electronics, Cambridge's three computer book stores within
      one block of each other, the MIT Museum, Harvard's Mark-1 computer, and
      probably some other things I'm forgetting right now. (If we're successful
      with the swap meet and/or other fundraisers soon, then perhaps MARCH could
      help fund the road trip. For example, instead of all driving in a convoy,
      maybe we can rent a mini-bus or something.)

      Finally, there's the issue of our club museum. Soon I'll meet with Fred and
      get a full run-down of what's needed to make the library building (where our
      museum space will be) into a habitable venue just like the main (hotel)
      building. Then we can plan accordingly.

      Any and all suggestions are welcome.

      - Evan
    • Herb Johnson
      Message 2 of 9 , May 19, 2006

        > Hello MARCHins.
        >
        > It's my personal prediction that East 4.0 will rival the California
        show in size and scope....

        > Per the many suggestions, we should definitely have some ** informal
        ** regional get-togethers.....

        > My very early and un-thought-through idea for a fall swap meet is as
        > follows.....

        > I also want to resurrect the idea of a MARCH road trip.....
        > Finally, there's the issue of our club museum....
        >
        > Any and all suggestions are welcome.
        >
        > - Evan

        All the ideas and plans suggested sound good. It's hard to reply to
        several initiatives in one discussion, and I don't know the commmon
        practices in this maillist or with MARCH about such discussions. Not
        knowing better, I'd suggest each activity proposed be given its own
        thread so each can be discussed by those interested. Otherwise, as a
        report of what is upcoming for general consideration, thanks for the
        heads-up.

        The only other comment I have is that activities that are soonest must
        be resolved ASAP; one, so those interested can find out and plan
        accordingly; and two, so all arrangements can be made at InfoAge and
        within MARCH.

        In that context, the fall swap meet would likely be first in line to
        be resolved and it requires prior notice to participants. Also, there
        are a LOT of competing hamfest events in the fall. If it's an open
        "computer only" event - not the best choice in my opinion - it would
        still attract every local hamfest and computershow dealer who was free
        that day. I'd encourage the "ten year or older" rule that was used at
        VCF East, so that the old would not get buried by the "new". Frankly,
        it's also a good way to SCALE DOWN this event as a test of the waters
        for more sales events. There are other ways this fall event could be
        structured...

        But I'm reluctant to post further about this, or the other proposals,
        until other and specific threads emerge AND I know more about how
        these discussions are conducted.

        Herb Johnson

        Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
        Message 3 of 9 , May 19, 2006
          >>> "ten year or older"

          Okay, rule #1 -- anyone who starts another "what's vintage" thread gets smacked with the nearest Wiffleball bat.

          Anyway, the focus of our swap meet is a valid point of debate: should it be anything-goes or vintage-only?

          >>> The only other comment I have is that activities that are soonest must be resolved ASAP; one, so those interested can find out and plan accordingly

          Right.  So before we start individual threads, let's decide as a club which ideas / events should be done, and in what order.  Then we'll get into threads about the details of actually doing them.

          In the past, MARCH-wide votes never worked out, so the method here is basically "everyone has their say, then Evan and the board decides, and if no one bludgeons our decision, we do it."

          personal prediction that East 4.0 will rival the California
          show in size and scope....

          > Per the many suggestions, we should definitely have
          some ** informal
          ** regional get-togethers.....

          > My very
          early and un-thought-through idea for a fall swap meet is as

          follows.....

          > I also want to resurrect the idea of a MARCH road
          trip.....
          > Finally, there's the issue of our club museum....
          >
          > Any and all suggestions are welcome.
          >
          > - Evan

          All the ideas and plans suggested sound good. It's hard to reply to
          several initiatives in one discussion, and I don't know the commmon
          practices in this maillist or with MARCH about such discussions. Not
          knowing better, I'd suggest each activity proposed be given its own
          thread so each can be discussed by those interested. Otherwise, as a
          report of what is upcoming for general consideration, thanks for the
          heads-up.

          The only other comment I have is that activities that are soonest must
          be resolved ASAP; one, so those interested can find out and plan
          accordingly; and two, so all arrangements can be made at InfoAge and
          within MARCH.

          In that context, the fall swap meet would likely be first in line to
          be resolved and it requires prior notice to participants.  Also, there
          are a LOT of competing hamfest events in the fall. If it's an open
          "computer only" event - not the best choice in my opinion - it would
          still attract every local hamfest and computershow dealer who was free
          that day. I'd encourage the "ten year or older" rule that was used at
          VCF East, so that the old would not get buried by the "new". Frankly,
          it's also a good way to SCALE DOWN this event as a test of the waters
          for more sales events. There are other ways this fall event could be
          structured...

          But I'm reluctant to post further about this, or the other proposals,
          until other and specific threads emerge AND I know more about how
          these discussions are conducted.

          Herb Johnson

          Herbert R. Johnson,  New Jersey USA

        • Alexey Toptygin
          Message 4 of 9 , May 19, 2006
            On Fri, 19 May 2006, Herb Johnson wrote:

            > I'd encourage the "ten year or older" rule that was used at VCF East, so
            > that the old would not get buried by the "new". Frankly, it's also a
            > good way to SCALE DOWN this event as a test of the waters for more sales
            > events.

            I also think this is a good idea. I think MARCH has a strong need to
            differentiate its swap-meet from garden variety computer shows, and I
            think this is the simplest way to do it.

            Alexey
            Message 5 of 9 , May 19, 2006
              Yeah, when you put it that way, I agree.

              Does anyone * disagree * ...?  If so, why?

              On Fri, 19 May 2006, Herb Johnson wrote:

              > I'd encourage the "ten year or older" rule that was used at VCF East, so
              > that the old would not get buried by the "new". Frankly, it's also a
              > good way to SCALE DOWN this event as a test of the waters for more sales
              > events.

              I also think this is a good idea. I think MARCH has a strong need to
              differentiate its swap-meet from garden variety computer shows, and I
              think this is the simplest way to do it.

                                Alexey
            • John Allain
              Message 6 of 9 , May 19, 2006
                > ... good way to SCALE DOWN this event ...
                Here are some filters.
                Use all the ones in the first list, get a big(ger) turnout.
                Second list ... potentially none, especially if you don't tell anybody ;}

                Additive / Inclusive
                    Advertise
                    Open admission
                    Simple facilities (parkinglot)
                    Small fee.

                Subtractive / Exclusive
                    No public announcement
                    Member sellers only
                    Member buyers only
                    Restricted product / 10-Year rule
                    Expensive facilities (indoor)
                    Large Fee

                My _personal_ choices would be:

                    No public announcement
                    Open admission
                    unrestricted product
                    Simple facilities (parkinglot)
                    Small fee.

                In other words, just a list-centered gathering,
                maybe with 1-2 invited friends per person allowed.

                And add this:  Good weather

                John A.
              • Herb Johnson
                Message 7 of 9 , May 20, 2006
                  --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "John Allain" <allain@...> wrote:

                  > > ... good way to SCALE DOWN this event ...

                  > My _personal_ choices would be:
                  >
                  > No public announcement
                  > Open admission
                  > unrestricted product
                  > Simple facilities (parkinglot)
                  > Small fee.
                  >
                  > In other words, just a list-centered gathering,
                  > maybe with 1-2 invited friends per person allowed.
                  >
                  > And add this: Good weather
                  >
                  > John A.

                  An event for MARCH-only people is essentially a gathering or meeting.
                  That can be done with very little effort with hardly any notice and
                  done inside the facility. Other than travel weather, weather becomes
                  moot. In and of itself it's not a bad idea.

                  But a "fall swap meet" as such SHOULD be (in my opinion) a PUBLIC
                  event. One purpose is to let people KNOW that we, and InfoAge, exists
                  to support those interested in this stuff. Possibly it is a
                  fund-raiser but probably it will break-even at best. As it is, there
                  is not much time to advertize anyway so this first event will be
                  self-limiting. Limiting it to 10-year or older stuff will keep it
                  manageable and keep most of the hamfest/computershow dealers out.

                  Another way to "manage" those major dealers (I'm a minor dealer
                  myself, incidently) is to limit persons to ONE TABLE, ONE parking
                  space. This would work for most, except the mainframe/mini folks: they
                  could have dispensation accordingly I guess.

                  At the end of the day, the event will be defined by those who will run
                  it; and at this late date by those mostly-MARCH members and their
                  contacts who will most likely show up to sell. My comments are
                  suggestions and thoughts.

                  HErb Johnson

                  Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
                • Bryan Pope
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 21, 2006
                    Evan Koblentz wrote:
                    > The next InfoAge event is a black-tie-optional public fundraiser and silent
                    > auction, to be held Saturday night, June 3. The tickets are $100 each and
                    > every member organization gets two free tickets. I only plan to use one
                    > ticket so the second one is up for grabs. (Given the value, please only
                    > claim it if you'll definitely use it.) I'm especially looking forward to
                    > the chance to schmooze with people who have deep pockets and to the open
                    > bar, not necessarily in that order. :)

                    Evan,

                    Do you still have this ticket available? I would love to go and
                    schmooze with the people to *help* them find the best places to donate
                    their money... I was really good when I had a sales job before and I
                    think I could help out.

                    Cheers,

                    Bryan
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 21, 2006