Negative Voltage Regulators

  • Systems Glitch
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 22, 2014
      Ever forget that the tab on a negative voltage regulator /is not/ ground:

      http://www.glitchwrks.com/temp/ssm_extender.jpg

      ...the IMSAI's power supply let the smoke out of the extender board!

      Thanks,
      Jonathan
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 22, 2014
        yowch

        Ever forget that the tab on a negative voltage regulator /is not/
        ground:

        http://www.glitchwrks.com/temp/ssm_extender.jpg

        ...the IMSAI's power supply let the smoke out of the extender board!

        Thanks,
        Jonathan

        ------------------------------------

        Yahoo Groups Links
      • David Riley
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 22, 2014
          On Jan 22, 2014, at 1:10 PM, Systems Glitch <systems.glitch@...> wrote:

          > Ever forget that the tab on a negative voltage regulator /is not/ ground:
          >
          > http://www.glitchwrks.com/temp/ssm_extender.jpg
          >
          > ...the IMSAI's power supply let the smoke out of the extender board!

          Ouch. And yes. Is that a piece of desoldering braid you've used to repair the track? I've done that for high power traces before.

          - Dave
        • Systems Glitch
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 22, 2014
            > Ouch. And yes. Is that a piece of desoldering braid you've used to repair the track? I've done that for high power traces before.

            I've done that for ground traces before (had a really cut up Processor Tech 3P+S that had half the ground plane peeled up), but that is a bit of teflon-insulated wire.

            Thanks,
            Jonathan
          • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 22, 2014
              Systems Glitch <systems.glitch@...> writes:

              >--xKS-wqnkICwOzBgnzDDSgU5j8pxq0A9JdXEKzVZ
              >
              >Ever forget that the tab on a negative voltage regulator /is not/ ground:
              >
              >http://www.glitchwrks.com/temp/ssm_extender.jpg
              >
              >...the IMSAI's power supply let the smoke out of the extender board!
              >
              >Thanks,
              >Jonathan

              You're supposed to install them upside down to prevent that. :) :P

            • Dan Roganti
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 22, 2014

                On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 1:10 PM, Systems Glitch <systems.glitch@...> wrote:
                Ever forget that the tab on a negative voltage regulator /is not/ ground:

                http://www.glitchwrks.com/temp/ssm_extender.jpg

                ...the IMSAI's power supply let the smoke out of the extender board!

                Thanks,
                Jonathan

                oh man, I could smell that all the way over here
                and I don't have smellavision :)

              • Cory Smelosky
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 22, 2014
                  On Wed, 22 Jan 2014, Dan Roganti wrote:

                  > On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 1:10 PM, Systems Glitch <systems.glitch@...>wrote:
                  >
                  >> Ever forget that the tab on a negative voltage regulator /is not/ ground:
                  >>
                  >> http://www.glitchwrks.com/temp/ssm_extender.jpg
                  >>
                  >> ...the IMSAI's power supply let the smoke out of the extender board!
                  >>
                  >> Thanks,
                  >> Jonathan
                  >>

                  > oh man, I could smell that all the way over here
                  > and I don't have smellavision :)

                  I had the same issue...but it was a TO-3 here. The casing was the
                  input...and I didn't notice that and the little mica discs that went under
                  the nuts got lost. I was wondering why -12 was missing...I was taking
                  the -24V rail straight to ground!

                  --
                  Cory Smelosky
                  http://gewt.net/me Personal stuff
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 22, 2014
                    > I had the same issue...but it was a TO-3 here. The casing was the
                    > input...and I didn't notice that and the little mica discs that went under
                    > the nuts got lost. I was wondering why -12 was missing...I was taking
                    > the -24V rail straight to ground!

                    I even cut a new TO-220 sized mica spacer for this one, just forgot to use a shoulder washer or nylon screw!

                    Thanks,
                    Jonathan
                  • mwillega
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 22, 2014
                      I'm just glad I found out about those live TO3 voltage regulator/power transistor cases before I screwed something up through ignorance.  However, given the surface area involved, I think that an accident is a distinct future possibility.

                      regards,
                      Mike Willegal

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 22, 2014
                        That reminds me: we should take odds on who'll win first-to-smoke at VCF. :)
                      • Mike Loewen
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 22, 2014
                          On Wed, 22 Jan 2014, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                          > That reminds me: we should take odds on who'll win first-to-smoke at VCF. :)

                          My money's on Andy Molloy. :-)

                          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 22, 2014
                            >> That reminds me: we should take odds on who'll win first-to-smoke at VCF. :)
                            >
                            > My money's on Andy Molloy. :-)

                            It' true that the only two-time champ is making a triumphant return to
                            VCF East this year. However, he's bringing handheld games... not likely
                            to smoke 'em.
                          • Cory Smelosky
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 22, 2014
                              On Wed, 22 Jan 2014, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                              >>> That reminds me: we should take odds on who'll win first-to-smoke at VCF. :)
                              >>
                              >> My money's on Andy Molloy. :-)
                              >

                              > It' true that the only two-time champ is making a triumphant return to
                              > VCF East this year. However, he's bringing handheld games... not likely
                              > to smoke 'em.

                              You'd be surprised...If I can make a server catch fire installing
                              windows...he can smoke a handheld game. ;)

                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 22, 2014
                                >>> That reminds me: we should take odds on who'll win first-to-smoke
                                at VCF. :)

                                >> My money's on Andy Molloy. :-)

                                >It' true that the only two-time champ is making a triumphant return to
                                >VCF East this year. However, he's bringing handheld games... not
                                likely
                                to smoke 'em.

                                You have ruled out sabotage?
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jan 22, 2014
                                  >> You have ruled out sabotage?

                                  LOL! That explains the bad cap in the Osborne power supply a few workshops back... I was framed!