Re: [midatlanticretro] Computer signage on my table

  • evan
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 24, 2005
      Sounds great, Jim. Would be even better if the rest of us follow your lead.
      :)

      If I can the Apple 1 replica working, we can put that on your table too.

      --- macmothership <macmothership@...> wrote:

      > I am going to prepare a small sign for each system that I will be displaying,
      > with model
      > details. (Apple II, Apple III, Apple Lisa, and the first 128k Mac - and
      > possible a Mac
      > Portable if I have room)
      > I'll place them in those small clear plexiglas stand-up displays that they
      > sell at staples, and
      > place one by each system. Those things are a few dollars each, but I think it
      > will look
      > good.

    • macmothership
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 24, 2005
        Evan,

        Wow - that really would complete the line-up and fit in perfectly. I can create a sign for
        that also. Great!
        Do you have a small monitor for it to use?

        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, evan <evan947@y...> wrote:
        > Sounds great, Jim. Would be even better if the rest of us follow your lead.
        > :)
        >
        > If I can the Apple 1 replica working, we can put that on your table too.
        >
        > --- macmothership <macmothership@y...> wrote:
        >

        > > I am going to prepare a small sign for each system that I will be displaying,
        > > with model
        > > details. (Apple II, Apple III, Apple Lisa, and the first 128k Mac - and
        > > possible a Mac
        > > Portable if I have room)
        > > I'll place them in those small clear plexiglas stand-up displays that they
        > > sell at staples, and
        > > place one by each system. Those things are a few dollars each, but I think it
        > > will look
        > > good.

      • evan
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 24, 2005
          Yeah I've got one.

          --- macmothership <macmothership@...> wrote:

          > Evan,
          >
          > Wow - that really would complete the line-up and fit in perfectly. I can
          > create a sign for
          > that also. Great!
          > Do you have a small monitor for it to use?
          >
          > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, evan <evan947@y...> wrote:
          > > Sounds great, Jim. Would be even better if the rest of us follow your
          > lead.
          > > :)
          > >
          > > If I can the Apple 1 replica working, we can put that on your table too.
          > >
          > > --- macmothership <macmothership@y...> wrote:
          > >

          > > > I am going to prepare a small sign for each system that I will be
          > displaying,
          > > > with model
          > > > details. (Apple II, Apple III, Apple Lisa, and the first 128k Mac - and
          > > > possible a Mac
          > > > Portable if I have room)
          > > > I'll place them in those small clear plexiglas stand-up displays that
          > they
          > > > sell at staples, and
          > > > place one by each system. Those things are a few dollars each, but I
          > think it
          > > > will look
          > > > good.

        • evan947
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 28, 2005
            Good news: a couple of days ago the replica started to work. I don't
            know how to program in assembly, but I had fun playing with Integer
            BASIC. I also was able to use Woz's 'monitor' application.

            Yesterday I ordered a non-volatile IC from DigiKey.com, to replace
            the volatile chip that Vince Briel includes with the design. That
            should arrive tomorrow or Monday. (I had to do this -- there is no
            other storage option because my case design won't have room for the
            serial I/O board and Vince says the cassette interface isn't
            finished.)

            FYI, for those who have no idea what I'm talking about:
            http://home.comcast.net/~vbriel/index.htm :)

            Now that it works, I'm designing a custom case for it. Since I
            collect handhelds/portables, I figured my case should be of the
            laptop variety. Sellam Ismail (of VCF fame) gave me an old
            PowerBook -- it's the model 145B because that one is rather large,
            giving me plenty of room to work. I took it apart, removed the
            screen and all of the electronics, so now it's just a bare plastic
            shell. Now I'm working on stuffing the following inside it:
            keyboard, new LCD display, motherboard, NiMH cells. The only problem
            so far is getting the board to work with the LCD, but Vince is
            helping with that.

            I put a photo of the 'empty' laptop under the photos link in this
            group. The photo is not very good quality but you get the idea.

            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "macmothership"

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 29, 2005
              That is great news - the Apple 1 is something most people have never been able to get
              their hands on, just read about - should be cool!

              Have you given any thought to enclosing it in a "period" case. As you know, many were in
              hand built wooden cases with the keyboard, or generic metal enclosures. I've uploaded a
              photo.

              I'll print out an Ad and Article on the Apple 1 from my website to have on display next to
              the unit at the show.

              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "evan947" <evan947@y...> wrote:

              > Good news: a couple of days ago the replica started to work. I don't
              > know how to program in assembly, but I had fun playing with Integer
              > BASIC. I also was able to use Woz's 'monitor' application.
              >
              > Yesterday I ordered a non-volatile IC from DigiKey.com, to replace
              > the volatile chip that Vince Briel includes with the design. That
              > should arrive tomorrow or Monday. (I had to do this -- there is no
              > other storage option because my case design won't have room for the
              > serial I/O board and Vince says the cassette interface isn't
              > finished.)
              >
              > FYI, for those who have no idea what I'm talking about:
              > http://home.comcast.net/~vbriel/index.htm :)
              >
              > Now that it works, I'm designing a custom case for it. Since I
              > collect handhelds/portables, I figured my case should be of the
              > laptop variety. Sellam Ismail (of VCF fame) gave me an old
              > PowerBook -- it's the model 145B because that one is rather large,
              > giving me plenty of room to work. I took it apart, removed the
              > screen and all of the electronics, so now it's just a bare plastic
              > shell. Now I'm working on stuffing the following inside it:
              > keyboard, new LCD display, motherboard, NiMH cells. The only problem
              > so far is getting the board to work with the LCD, but Vince is
              > helping with that.
              >
              > I put a photo of the 'empty' laptop under the photos link in this
              > group. The photo is not very good quality but you get the idea.
              >

              > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "macmothership"
              > <macmothership@y...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Evan,
              > >
              > > Wow - that really would complete the line-up and fit in perfectly.
              > I can create a sign for
              > > that also. Great!
              > > Do you have a small monitor for it to use?
              > >
              > > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, evan <evan947@y...> wrote:
              > > > Sounds great, Jim. Would be even better if the rest of us follow
              > your lead.
              > > > :)
              > > >
              > > > If I can the Apple 1 replica working, we can put that on your
              > table too.
            • evan947
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 30, 2005
                Yes, I'm considering that... however the portable version is my main
                project right now. (Vince Briel, who designed the kit, has a version
                very similar to the original, just like in your photo. Check his out:
                http://home.comcast.net/~vbriel/r1se.htm) -- it's sold already but I
                think he's willing to make more for whoever is willing to order one.