OT: interested in being InfoAge's webmaster?

    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 13, 2014
      All,

      InfoAge's webmaster resigned. A new one is needed.

      There are two sites: infoage.org for the current museum activities, and
      campevans.org for the historic Army activities. The webmaster will be
      responsible for both sites.

      There's a CMS behind the scenes. I forget if it's Drupal or Joomla. I
      know nothing about the hosting or code.

      Three vital requirements:

      1. You've got to be consistent! InfoAge has lots of moving parts, so
      they need someone who can do frequent updates, etc., and NOT be a
      procrastinator or flake. :)

      2. You may notice that both sites are, well, * UGLY * .... InfoAge
      desperately needs someone who can make them modern and professional.

      3. As with all other InfoAge roles, this is a gig where the only payment
      is glory. :)

      Anyone who's interested should email me privately.

      - Evan
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 13, 2014
        why don't you do it?

[...]

        ------------------------------------

        Yahoo Groups Links
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 13, 2014
          > why don't you do it?

          Why don't you? :)

          I'm waaaay too busy.
        • Sridhar Ayengar
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 15, 2014
            I don't really have the time to webmaster it, but I wouldn't mind hosting it for them if they want.  I have a truly gigantic colo box that's barely used...

            Peace...  Sridhar

            On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 4:51 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
            > why don't you do it?

            Why don't you?  :)

            I'm waaaay too busy.

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                midatlanticretro-digest@yahoogroups.com

          • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 15, 2014
              What CMS?

            • Martin A Flynn
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 15, 2014
                Joomla

                On 1/15/2014 12:48 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:

                What CMS?

                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 15, 2014
                  >> but I wouldn't mind hosting it for them if they want

                  Kind of you to offer, but they use/need professional hosting with 24/7 support etc.
                • Cory Smelosky
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 15, 2014
                    On Wed, 15 Jan 2014, Martin A Flynn wrote:

                    > Joomla

                    Oh god. Why?!

                    --
                    Cory Smelosky
                    http://gewt.net Personal stuff
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 15, 2014
                       It's Free and would run on the platform that IA could afford.

                      On 1/15/2014 1:22 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:

                      On Wed, 15 Jan 2014, Martin A Flynn wrote:

                      > Joomla

                      Oh god. Why?!

                      > On 1/15/2014 12:48 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
                      >
                      > What CMS?

                    • Bill Sudbrink
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 15, 2014
                        CMS? You mean like under VM/370?

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 15, 2014
                          On Wed, 2014-01-15 at 12:57 -0500, Martin A Flynn wrote:

                          > Joomla

                          OK. I have lots of experience with Joomla. The radio station I run,
                          Aural Moon, uses Joomla as its website's CMS. I have much experience
                          with writing/creating custom modules for Joolma and, specifically, for
                          those things that are/were radio station interfacing specific. I'd be
                          willing to help out with the management of the InfoAge site but I can
                          not necessarily state that I'd be willing and or able to take on 100%
                          on-call responsibility for it.

                        • Martin A Flynn
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 15, 2014
                            Upkeep on the existing site likely would not be that bad.

                            Issues:
                            • The amount of legacy material that was created as static pages with really poor "free" tools.
                            • Lack of funding to upgrade the web hosting and mail server.
                            Martin

                            PS - building 9116 at InfoAge is set up for streaming with a bunch of RE20, decent audio chain, and Barix encoders.

                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 15, 2014
                              > OK. I have lots of experience with Joomla. The radio station I run,
                              > Aural Moon, uses Joomla as its website's CMS. I have much experience
                              > with writing/creating custom modules for Joolma and, specifically, for
                              > those things that are/were radio station interfacing specific. I'd be
                              > willing to help out with the management of the InfoAge site but I can
                              > not necessarily state that I'd be willing and or able to take on 100%
                              > on-call responsibility for it.

                              Tried calling you just now. Nobody answered your home phone. Please call
                              me to discuss web topic further. 6465469999
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 15, 2014
                                On 01/15/2014 01:19 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                                >>> but I wouldn't mind hosting it for them if they want
                                >
                                > Kind of you to offer, but they use/need professional hosting with 24/7
                                > support etc.

                                [he wouldn't want that if he knew how such facilities were actually
                                run, of course..]

                                --
                                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                New Kensington, PA
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jan 15, 2014
                                  On Wed, 15 Jan 2014, Dave McGuire wrote:

                                  >> Kind of you to offer, but they use/need professional hosting with 24/7
                                  >> support etc.
                                  >
                                  > [he wouldn't want that if he knew how such facilities were actually
                                  > run, of course..]

                                  Along with how I have better maintenance setups than some of those
                                  providers here at home. ;)

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jan 15, 2014
                                    On 01/15/2014 06:25 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:

                                    >>> Kind of you to offer, but they use/need professional hosting with 24/7
                                    >>> support etc.
                                    >>
                                    >> [he wouldn't want that if he knew how such facilities were actually
                                    >> run, of course..]
                                    >
                                    > Along with how I have better maintenance setups than some of those
                                    > providers here at home. ;)

                                    Yup. I've built such facilities, and I use the same expertise, and
                                    the same (actually much better) equipment and management techniques here
                                    as I did there. This is not what anyone would call "home", however.

                                    Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                    New Kensington, PA
                                  • Cory Smelosky
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jan 15, 2014

                                      >>> [he wouldn't want that if he knew how such facilities were actually
                                      >>> run, of course..]
                                      >>
                                      >> Along with how I have better maintenance setups than some of those
                                      >> providers here at home. ;)
                                      >
                                      > Yup. I've built such facilities, and I use the same expertise, and
                                      > the same (actually much better) equipment and management techniques here
                                      > as I did there. This is not what anyone would call "home", however.

                                      People would disagree with calling my house a "home" at this point, too.
                                      ;)

                                      I mean...my UPS emails me when something goes down. Some providers don't
                                      do that!

                                      (Well, the NAS sends an email but due to an error I just noticed...that
                                      might not actually work)