Heard of the computer co Elstart?

    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 16, 2013
      http://vintagecomputer.net/pictures/2013/elstart_amigo.jpg

      Picked up an Elstart Amigo the other day, I scanned a pick of the box it
      came in. above is a link. These were pretty powerful systems in their
      day.

      Bill
    • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 16, 2013
        "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> writes:

        >http://vintagecomputer.net/pictures/2013/elstart_amigo.jpg
        >
        >Picked up an Elstart Amigo the other day, I scanned a pick of the box it
        >came in. above is a link. These were pretty powerful systems in their
        >day.
        >
        >Bill

        And it almost looks like you behind the monitor!>

      • wesleyhfurr
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 16, 2013
          Looks like an edited TRS-80 Color Computer 1 advertisement to me...?
          Though last I checked, it's not April 1st. :-)

          Wesley

          > http://vintagecomputer.net/pictures/2013/elstart_amigo.jpg
          >
          > Picked up an Elstart Amigo the other day, I scanned a pick of the box it
          > came in. above is a link. These were pretty powerful systems in their
          > day.
          >
          > Bill
        • ian_primus
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 16, 2013

            Wow! That's pretty cool! I love the way these 80's advertisements always show everyone in utter amazement looking at the screen, staged in a "family room" setting. Although, here they've got it kind of weird, since there's the edge of a Williams Paddle Ball arcade cabinet in the frame to the left. Are we expected to believe that some family has a coin operated pong clone in their family room? I mean, seriously, nobody in their right mind would have that.

            -Ian

          • Derrik Walker v2.0
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 16, 2013
              On 12/16/13, 10:27, B. Degnan wrote:

              http://vintagecomputer.net/pictures/2013/elstart_amigo.jpg

              Picked up an Elstart Amigo the other day, I scanned a pick of the box it
              came in. above is a link. These were pretty powerful systems in their
              day.

              Bill

              This isn't making much sense. It looks like a CoCo running Amiga's ( or something like its ) OS..  And what the heck ( in 1980's terms ) is 128-bit graphics or a even a 300 megabaud cassette? Did the Plus/4 use 'Game Packs' or any kind? And was anything with only 4K of ram ever considered 'powerful?'

              Can we see some pictures of the actual computer and it's interesting GUI? What is the copyright on the owners manual?

              - Derrik

            • Kelly D. Leavitt
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 16, 2013
                Is this the Degnan family Christmas card for 2013? Some of the cast members look familiar.

                Picked up an Elstart Amigo the other day, I scanned a pick of the box it
                came in. above is a link. These were pretty powerful systems in their
                day.

                Bill

                _____

                No virus found in this message.
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 16, 2013
                  yes, a different version of the same photo

                  > Is this the Degnan family Christmas card for 2013? Some of the cast
                  members look familiar.

                  12/15/13

                  > ------------------------------------
                  >
                  > Yahoo Groups Links

                • Neil Cherry
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 16, 2013
                    On 12/16/2013 12:03 PM, Derrik Walker v2.0 wrote:
                    > On 12/16/13, 10:27, B. Degnan wrote:

                    > This isn't making much sense. It looks like a CoCo running Amiga's ( or something like its
                    > ) OS.. And what the heck ( in 1980's terms ) is 128-bit graphics or a even a 300 megabaud
                    > cassette? Did the Plus/4 use 'Game Packs' or any kind? And was anything with only 4K of
                    > ram ever considered 'powerful?'

                    I love the 300MBaud part, not sure what the heck it means but the rest doesn't seem too
                    unusual for the late 70's (please tell me that wasn't from the early 80's. Marketing
                    was having a fun time with 64K and 65K and modem speeds and anything else that might
                    seem like their computer was faster (pin stripes and decals, anyone?).

                    It also reminds me of the TRS89 CoCo but I don't recall a 4K version.

                    http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site
                    http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog
                  • Derrik Walker v2.0
                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 16, 2013
                      On 12/16/13, 13:42, Neil Cherry wrote:

                      On 12/16/2013 12:03 PM, Derrik Walker v2.0 wrote:
                      > On 12/16/13, 10:27, B. Degnan wrote:

                      > This isn't making much sense. It looks like a CoCo running Amiga's ( or something like its
                      > ) OS.. And what the heck ( in 1980's terms ) is 128-bit graphics or a even a 300 megabaud
                      > cassette? Did the Plus/4 use 'Game Packs' or any kind? And was anything with only 4K of
                      > ram ever considered 'powerful?'

                      I love the 300MBaud part, not sure what the heck it means but the rest doesn't seem too
                      unusual for the late 70's (please tell me that wasn't from the early 80's. Marketing
                      was having a fun time with 64K and 65K and modem speeds and anything else that might
                      seem like their computer was faster (pin stripes and decals, anyone?).

                      It also reminds me of the TRS89 CoCo but I don't recall a 4K version.

                      So it meant to be a joke?

                      I initially thought it was some kind of bizerro hoax.

                      - Derrik
                    • Neil Cherry
                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 16, 2013
                        On 12/16/2013 02:12 PM, Derrik Walker v2.0 wrote:
                        > On 12/16/13, 13:42, Neil Cherry wrote:
                        >>
                        >> On 12/16/2013 12:03 PM, Derrik Walker v2.0 wrote:
                        >> > On 12/16/13, 10:27, B. Degnan wrote:
                        >>
                        >> > This isn't making much sense. It looks like a CoCo running Amiga's ( or something like its
                        >> > ) OS.. And what the heck ( in 1980's terms ) is 128-bit graphics or a even a 300 megabaud
                        >> > cassette? Did the Plus/4 use 'Game Packs' or any kind? And was anything with only 4K of
                        >> > ram ever considered 'powerful?'
                        >>
                        >> I love the 300MBaud part, not sure what the heck it means but the rest doesn't seem too
                        >> unusual for the late 70's (please tell me that wasn't from the early 80's. Marketing
                        >> was having a fun time with 64K and 65K and modem speeds and anything else that might
                        >> seem like their computer was faster (pin stripes and decals, anyone?).
                        >>
                        >> It also reminds me of the TRS89 CoCo but I don't recall a 4K version.
                        >>
                        > So it meant to be a joke?

                        Sadly no, it's called clueless marketing. And yes we really saw even more
                        bizarre things from supposed leaders like IBM. If you every run across old
                        Byte magazines look at the ads. Some are funny (when taken in today's context).

                        > I initially thought it was some kind of bizerro hoax.

                        Seems that way at time. But at other times I recall having seen ads for
                        1, 2 and 4K of RAM selling for a few hundred dollars (and drooling). A
                        floppy disk drive with 96 kilobytes of storage (had a hole punch so I
                        could make a flippy with my soft sector disks

                        My first 2M of ram cost $500+ (1M x 16 bits). I'm sure others here
                        have similar stories.

                        http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site
                        http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog
                      • Bryan Pope
                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 16, 2013
                          On 2013-12-16 2:29 PM, Neil Cherry wrote:

                          On 12/16/2013 02:12 PM, Derrik Walker v2.0 wrote:
                          > On 12/16/13, 13:42, Neil Cherry wrote:
                          >>
                          >> On 12/16/2013 12:03 PM, Derrik Walker v2.0 wrote:
                          >> > On 12/16/13, 10:27, B. Degnan wrote:
                          >>
                          >> > This isn't making much sense. It looks like a CoCo running Amiga's ( or something like its
                          >> > ) OS.. And what the heck ( in 1980's terms ) is 128-bit graphics or a even a 300 megabaud
                          >> > cassette? Did the Plus/4 use 'Game Packs' or any kind? And was anything with only 4K of
                          >> > ram ever considered 'powerful?'
                          >>
                          >> I love the 300MBaud part, not sure what the heck it means but the rest doesn't seem too
                          >> unusual for the late 70's (please tell me that wasn't from the early 80's. Marketing
                          >> was having a fun time with 64K and 65K and modem speeds and anything else that might
                          >> seem like their computer was faster (pin stripes and decals, anyone?).
                          >>
                          >> It also reminds me of the TRS89 CoCo but I don't recall a 4K version.
                          >>
                          > So it meant to be a joke?

                          Sadly no, it's called clueless marketing. And yes we really saw even more
                          bizarre things from supposed leaders like IBM. If you every run across old
                          Byte magazines look at the ads. Some are funny (when taken in today's context).

                          > I initially thought it was some kind of bizerro hoax.

                          Seems that way at time. But at other times I recall having seen ads for
                          1, 2 and 4K of RAM selling for a few hundred dollars (and drooling). A
                          floppy disk drive with 96 kilobytes of storage (had a hole punch so I
                          could make a flippy with my soft sector disks

                          My first 2M of ram cost $500+ (1M x 16 bits). I'm sure others here
                          have similar stories.

                          I must say this thread has been very enjoyable to read!  I wonder if Evan can get some of the models in this ad to make an appearance at the next VCF East?  That would be totally awesome!  They could tell us what it was like to be in computer ads from the 70's and 80s.

                          Cheers,

                          Bryan

                          Message 12 of 19 , Dec 16, 2013
                            On 12/16/2013 10:27 AM, B. Degnan wrote:
                            > http://vintagecomputer.net/pictures/2013/elstart_amigo.jpg
                            >
                            > Picked up an Elstart Amigo the other day, I scanned a pick of the box it
                            > came in. above is a link. These were pretty powerful systems in their
                            > day.

                            ROFL!! This is priceless. Right down to the facial expressions, true
                            to the patterns of those days. Nicely done!

                            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                            New Kensington, PA
                          • Neil Cherry
                            Message 13 of 19 , Dec 16, 2013
                              On 12/16/2013 03:29 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:
                              > On 12/16/2013 10:27 AM, B. Degnan wrote:
                              > > http://vintagecomputer.net/pictures/2013/elstart_amigo.jpg
                              > >
                              > > Picked up an Elstart Amigo the other day, I scanned a pick of the box it
                              > > came in. above is a link. These were pretty powerful systems in their
                              > > day.
                              >
                              > ROFL!! This is priceless. Right down to the facial expressions, true
                              > to the patterns of those days. Nicely done!

                              Something tells me I've been hoodwinked and didn't notice until now.

                              Looked real, I thought it was real (the cabinet was a little odd). I've
                              seen too many ads (Odessey anayone ? ) that look a lot like that.

                              Dirrick, sorry about that I do recall such sillines, honest.

                              BTW, wasn't there GEOS for the Vi, Commodore and Atari 800's ?

                              Message 14 of 19 , Dec 16, 2013
                                The guy hanging over the monitor using his periscope vision to read the amazing graphics looks alot like Bill Degnan in his Sunday school clothes. So bill, what is the significance of "Elstart"?

                                Jim

                                Message 15 of 19 , Dec 16, 2013
                                  On 12/16/2013 04:36 PM, Jim Scheef wrote:
                                  > The guy hanging over the monitor using his periscope vision to read the
                                  > amazing graphics looks alot like Bill Degnan in his Sunday school
                                  > clothes. So bill, what is the significance of "Elstart"?

                                  Do a one-character rotation of the word.

                                  Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Dec 16, 2013
                                    > On 12/16/2013 04:36 PM, Jim Scheef wrote:
                                    > > The guy hanging over the monitor using his periscope vision to read
                                    the
                                    > > amazing graphics looks alot like Bill Degnan in his Sunday school
                                    > > clothes. So bill, what is the significance of "Elstart"?
                                    >
                                    > Do a one-character rotation of the word.
                                    >
                                    > -Dave

                                    Can you spot the other anomalies in the faux ad??
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Dec 16, 2013
                                      I never heard of it.

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Dec 16, 2013
                                        > Is this the Degnan family Christmas card for 2013? Some of the cast members look familiar.

                                        Good eye! Also, there are NO other Google results other than Bill's post
                                        ... I think we have been Degnaned! :)
                                      • Dan Roganti
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Dec 16, 2013

                                          On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 10:27 AM, B. Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:
                                          http://vintagecomputer.net/pictures/2013/elstart_amigo.jpg

                                          Picked up an Elstart Amigo the other day, I scanned a pick of the box it
                                          came in.  above is a link.  These were pretty powerful systems in their
                                          day.

                                          oh man, this is gooooooood
                                          I had to look twice and thrice to see closely that it was really you Bill, and Kelcey looks so convincing. I think your kids threw everyone off guard with their enthusiastic expressions. The tech specs seem they were inspired by the MAD magazine :)
                                          can't wait for the next holiday promo !
                                          =Dan