Altair BASIC and hitting my head with my shoe repeatedly

    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 10, 2013
      Working on BASIC class.

      "Trivia question" - can anyone tell me why the following code works in
      MBASIC4 but not Altair BASIC?

      hint
      leaving out spaces (10 FORK=1TO1000) has no effect.

      using a different variable name (FORG=1to1000), no effect.

      MEMORY SIZE?
      HIGHEST DISK NUMBER? 0
      HOW MANY FILES? 1
      HOW MANY RANDOM FILES? 1

      43129 BYTES FREE
      ALTAIR BASIC REV. 4.0
      [DISK EXTENDED VERSION]
      COPYRIGHT 1976 BY MITS INC.
      OK
      10 FOR K=1 TO 1000
      20 PRINT K;
      30 NEXT K
      40 END
      RUN
      SYNTAX ERROR IN 10
      OK
    • Randy Kindig
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 10, 2013
        Do you have to use
        FOR K:=1 TO 1000

        ?

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Dec 10, 2013, at 11:00 PM, "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

        Working on BASIC class.

        "Trivia question" - can anyone tell me why the following code works in
        MBASIC4 but not Altair BASIC?

        hint
        leaving out spaces (10 FORK=1TO1000) has no effect.

        using a different variable name (FORG=1to1000), no effect.

        MEMORY SIZE?
        HIGHEST DISK NUMBER? 0
        HOW MANY FILES? 1
        HOW MANY RANDOM FILES? 1

        43129 BYTES FREE
        ALTAIR BASIC REV. 4.0
        [DISK EXTENDED VERSION]
        COPYRIGHT 1976 BY MITS INC.
        OK
        10 FOR K=1 TO 1000
        20 PRINT K;
        30 NEXT K
        40 END
        RUN
        SYNTAX ERROR IN 10
        OK

      • Dan Roganti
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 11, 2013

          On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 11:00 PM, B. Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:
          Working on BASIC class.

          "Trivia question" - can anyone tell me why the following code works in
          MBASIC4 but not Altair BASIC?

          hint
          leaving out spaces (10 FORK=1TO1000) has no effect.

          using a different variable name (FORG=1to1000), no effect.

          MEMORY SIZE?
          HIGHEST DISK NUMBER? 0
          HOW MANY FILES? 1
          HOW MANY RANDOM FILES? 1

          43129 BYTES FREE
          ALTAIR BASIC REV. 4.0
          [DISK EXTENDED VERSION]
          COPYRIGHT 1976 BY MITS INC.
          OK
          10 FOR K=1 TO 1000
          20 PRINT K;
          30 NEXT K
          40 END
          RUN
          SYNTAX ERROR IN 10
          OK

          This works fine on 8K Basic, at least on the Emulator. But I noticed  your using Disk Extended Basic and this is one manual I don't seem to have in pdf - is it available ?
          Perhaps the "STEP" is required in that version

          =Dan

        • corey986
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 11, 2013
            I'll try this program later today. I have 8k basic on my Altair, but I have Microsoft extended basic from the Altair ported on my Sol-20.I have had a problem with a bad ram card chip that the Microsoft basic didn't detect. It's "memory" check is pretty brainless and can give a false indication everything is ok with memory when it's not.I can try the program on both.Cheers, Corey
          • DuaneCraps
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 11, 2013
              my guess;

              FOR is reserved word

              Omly 2-3 characters are significant

              so fork, forg, fortune are not legal variable names

              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 11, 2013

                 _  ____
                / \__/
                Scotty, We Need More Power !!
                \_/ _\__ Aye, Cap'n, but we've only got 80 col's !

                On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 6:16 AM, Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> wrote:

[...]

                still couldn't find a pdf on the Disk Extended Basic version, but
                I found another example program using this version
                Since that code works already in the 8K Basic version I tried, there must be some additional syntax involved.
                In this exmaple, they use spaces between everything, so
                10 FOR K = 1 TO 1000
                =Dan

              • Dan Roganti
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 11, 2013

                  On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 2:52 PM, Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> wrote:

[...]

                  So I tried that code you posted exactly the way you typed - with both v5.01 and v5.1.  and there's no syntax error.
                  I see you're using v4.0, Rich's emulator only has v5.0 and v5.1 of Disk Extended Basic.
                  So after trying 3 diff version of Altair basic - I don't see where you're getting a syntax error.
                  There can't be that much diff in syntax going from the 8K version to v5.1
                  =Dan

                • corey986
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 12, 2013
                    Didn't get a chance to try this yesterday. I'll do it this morning.
                  • corey986
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 12, 2013

                      I think you have bad ram somewhere.    I tried it in Altair extended basic and it seems ok.

                      Cheers,

                      Corey