Re: [midatlanticretro] One more har dware course needed for VCF East U.

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 22, 2013
      >> How many people have actually repaired a floppy?

      I am starting to get that sense. Maybe drives are not a good course idea.

      Other course suggestions?
    • Cory Smelosky
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 22, 2013
        On Fri, 22 Nov 2013, Evan Koblentz wrote:

        >>> How many people have actually repaired a floppy?
        >
        > I am starting to get that sense. Maybe drives are not a good course idea.
        >
        > Other course suggestions?

        Mailing list management.

        --
        Cory Smelosky
        http://gewt.net Personal stuff
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 22, 2013

          On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 12:28 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

          >> How many people have actually repaired a floppy?

          If you're speaking of the drive controller board - the mix of digital/analog circuitry embedded on top of the Drive mechanism, then, of course.
          I usually have a few in the repair queue because they drop dead from time to time.
          So often that I've contemplated making a bed of nails tester using a signature tracer because of the many test points involved - and to save time
          Most people just chuck them and buy extras online and gamble with swapping out these circuit boards.

          =Dan

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 22, 2013
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 22, 2013
              >> Keep it to a class/type of drive that would attract the most people to the class.

              Yup.

              But it can't be * too * specific. For example I declined someone's request to teach Apple Disk ][ repair for us.
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 22, 2013
                >> Other course suggestions?
                >
                > Mailing list management.

                Not sure what you mean by that. Me, Bill, Justin, and Andy moderate the
                list pretty well. The problems are all on Yahoo's end.
              • joshbensadon
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 22, 2013

                  > > I am starting to get that sense. Maybe drives are not a good course
                  idea.

                  > > Other course suggestions?
                  >
                  > Mailing list management.

                  Many of us repair drives all the time.

                  As far as a topic of a class may be too general. It's a case by case
                  thing, you sometimes have to know overall electronics and how to use
                  oscilloscopes to do the alignment, etc.

                  If someone wants to teach a class on repairing floppy drives they should
                  probably submit some sort of outline of what they plan to cover. Keep it
                  to a class/type of drive that would attract the most people to the class.

                  Coincidentally I am replacing all of the caps and such on the power supply
                  of an Altair 8" disk drive at the moment. Waiting on a few parts.

                  Bill

                  I think drive repair is a great idea.  I'm sure there's lots of common problems that can be quickly tested for. My experience thus far has been capacitors and opto coupler switches.

                  :)J