Festivus logistics thread

    Message 1 of 27 , Nov 19, 2013
      Please ONLY use this thread to post if you are attending Festivus, which days, and what you are bringing.

      Evan K., both days, burgers / hot dogs / condiments / non-alcoholic beverages

      Jeff J., (which days?), plates, cups, utensils

      Brian S., (which days?), beer

      Ian, both days, TVs/videogames

      That is all I know definitely. Folks should bring lots of food (entrees and snacks), maybe a hot plate, extra beer :), napkins, and whatever you like including entertainment. Let's document it in this thread to avoid overlap. Add your info and pass it on.
    • David Riley
      Message 2 of 27 , Nov 19, 2013
        On Nov 19, 2013, at 22:31, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

        Please ONLY use this thread to post if you are attending Festivus, which days, and what you are bringing.

        Evan K., both days, burgers / hot dogs / condiments / non-alcoholic beverages

        Jeff J., (which days?), plates, cups, utensils

        Brian S., (which days?), beer

        Ian, both days, TVs/videogames

        I'm coming both days. I can definitely bring a CRT TV for games (if there aren't enough), plus my smallish NES/SNES library and up to two NES units (the SNES is on the fritz). If it's ready by then, I'll bring some of the pumpkin cream ale I'm brewing, but I can't guarantee that (and I don't want to bring beer that's not ready). I can also bring a coffee maker plus good coffee beans, and possibly some food items.

        I might also bring a C64 that won't run if anyone has "donor" boards (I suspect the PLA, but don't have enough C64 experience to be sure).

        I can list which NES/SNES games I have (privately or otherwise) to prevent overlap.

        - Dave
      • corey986
        Message 3 of 27 , Nov 25, 2013

           Well I'll bring a spare Apple II and a color TV.   I'll put a CFFA card in it so that it can have just about every Apple II game ever created on a USB memory stick in it.

          I'll also bring some hard alcohol to mix with Evan's beverages (vodka and rum should be good)

          I should be there both days, just not the whole days because I'll have the kids with me.

            I'm also bringing one of my 1976 portable sony trinitrons that needs to be recapped because it goes dark after a few minutes.  While I know it's not supposed to be a fixit day.  I need Ian or someone there to show me how to discharge the tube so I can recap it another day without electrocuting myself.

          Cheers,

          Corey

          Message 4 of 27 , Nov 25, 2013
            >> put a CFFA card in it so that it can have just about every Apple II game ever created on a USB memory stick in it.

            Cool. My childhood favorite was Swashbuckler.

            >> I'll also bring some hard alcohol to mix with Evan's beverages (vodka and rum should be good)

            Perhaps I will bring some OJ on Sunday morning after our usual diner excursion .... screwdrivers coming right up.

            Who else is staying at Motel 38 other than me and David R.?
          • Ray Sills
            Message 5 of 27 , Nov 26, 2013
              On Nov 25, 2013, at 7:18 PM, corey986 wrote:

              > <snip>
              >
              > I'm also bringing one of my 1976 portable sony trinitrons that
              > needs to be recapped because it goes dark after a few minutes.
              > While I know it's not supposed to be a fixit day. I need Ian or
              > someone there to show me how to discharge the tube so I can recap it
              > another day without electrocuting myself.

              Discharging a CRT high voltage connector is not to hard. Get a clip
              lead that's about a foot or two long, clip one end on to a well
              insulated screwdriver with a narrow tip. The other end clips to a
              grounded chassis point. In olden days, that was easy: the whole
              chassis was metal.
              But, a lot of plastic is used inside sets, so you have to make sure
              that the "ground" is -really- ground. Then, sneak the screwdriver tip
              underneath the connection lead at the side of the CRT. Any residual
              charge should dissipate with a "snap". Check again, to be sure there
              is no charge.

              That said, CRTs used voltages around 10 KV.. but almost zero current.
              So, while you might get "zapped" (just like walking across a rug in
              winter), you should not be electrocuted, because you would have
              totally unplugged the TV set from AC power, so no further charge will
              build up.

              Still, be careful. Don't do it, if you are not confident.

              73 de Ray
            • Mike Loewen
              Message 6 of 27 , Nov 26, 2013

                http://www.crtsolutions.com/CRTSafety.pdf

                Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                Message 7 of 27 , Dec 2, 2013
                  >> Please ONLY use this thread to post if you are attending Festivus, which days, and what you are bringing.

                  Well, this thread didn't work. Many people (including me) took it
                  off-topic. Sorry guys.

                  Lot of folks are bringing technology. It would help if someone brings a
                  digital projector.

                  Can we try again, only for food-related topics?

                  - Evan K., both days, burgers / hot dogs / condiments / non-alcoholic
                  beverages, plus a bucket of chicken for Sat. afternoon
                  - Jeff J., (which days?), plates, cups, utensils
                  - Jeff B., the grill!
                  - Brian S., (which days?), beer
                  - David R., both days, coffee/coffee maker, maybe beer

                  The party is still two weeks away, but it would be helpful for as many
                  people to post here as possible, so there's not too much redundancy.
                • corey986
                  Message 8 of 27 , Dec 3, 2013
                    I have a nice bottle of jack and a bottle of absolute (Costco size). Evan said he was bringing coke and orange juice....Cheers, Corey
                  • J. Alexander Jacocks
                    Message 9 of 27 , Dec 3, 2013
                      On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 7:11 AM, corey986 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                      I have a nice bottle of jack and a bottle of absolute (Costco size). Evan said he was bringing coke and orange juice....Cheers, Corey

                      I'll be there Saturday, and Sunday morning, and will bring some chili.

                      - Alex
                    • Bill Dromgoole
                      Message 10 of 27 , Dec 3, 2013
                        I will be there on Saturday only.
                        Will bring South Philly soft pretzels and a twelve pack of beer.

                        Bill Dromgoole
                        Message 11 of 27 , Dec 3, 2013
                          "J. Alexander Jacocks" <jjacocks@...> writes:

                          >I'll be there Saturday, and Sunday morning, and will bring some chili.

                          I'll bring the gas masks! :P

                          I'll be there sometime Saturday. I'll tote the Guinness cooler and I'll
                          bring the ribs that have been requested. I do have to go back home due
                          to my engineering obligations to a radio show Saturday evenings. I may
                          leave the Guinness and trailer there and pick it up on Sunday. Depends
                          upon whether or not there's any Sunday obligations.

                          FYI, I intend to keep the Guinness on my trailer. You can walk outside
                          to pump a pint. If there can be parking space left in front of the walk
                          to the building, it would be much appreciated. I'd need 2 car lengths.
                          Bring your pint glasses. ;)

                          Before everybody gets too pissed, I'd like to conduct a little business
                          discussion WRT the VCF classes.

                        • s100doctor
                          Message 12 of 27 , Dec 4, 2013

                            I plan to attend the Festivus, at least on Friday, and Sat if I can get lodging.

                            I'll be glad to share a motel room for Friday night, I'll bring a cot accordingly so a second bed won't be needed. But please - don't make me the motel offer if you snore like a cutoff saw!

                            I won't bring food, there's plenty already coming, but I will make a store run for something if needed - ice or etc.

                            As Sherlock Holmes once said, "You know my methods, Watson." If anyone attending needs something I'm likely to have, contact me directly c/o my Web domain.

                            Herb Johnson

                            retrotechnology.com

                            Message 13 of 27 , Dec 4, 2013
                              >> plan to attend the Festivus, at least on Friday, and Sat if I can get lodging.

                              The party is Saturday/Sunday, not Friday/Saturday.

                              >> I will make a store run for something if needed - ice or etc.

                              Thanks.
                            • Ray Fantini
                              Message 14 of 27 , Dec 4, 2013

                                As a new member figure I might as well ask, what’s a festivus?

                                Ray F in Salisbury Maryland

                                Message 15 of 27 , Dec 4, 2013
                                  > As a new member figure I might as well ask, what’s a festivus?
                                  >
                                  > Ray F in Salisbury Maryland

                                  It's our holiday party.

                                  Our big public conference is the Vintage Computer Festival East, usually
                                  held in the springtime; the next one is April 4-6, 2014, at our museum
                                  here in central NJ.

                                  So it occurred to us some years ago that our members-only holiday party
                                  should be called the Vintage Computer "Festivus" as both a pun on the
                                  public show's name and, of course, referencing the Seinfeld joke ("...a
                                  Festivus for the rest of us!")

                                  This year's Festivus is from lunchtime on Saturday, Dec. 14 to late
                                  afternoon on Sunday, Dec. 15 .... everyone puts in $10 for the house; we
                                  in MARCH supply the basics food-wise plus non-alcoholic drinks; and most
                                  people bring additional food, alcohol, and/or entertainment (videogames,
                                  movies, etc.)
                                • Jeffrey Brace
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Dec 8, 2013
                                    >Lot of folks are bringing technology. It would help if someone brings a
                                    >digital projector.

                                    There seems to be a projector in the Festivus room that we can use. Joe
                                    Gilberti said that we can borrow it from Infoage. It was used for the
                                    Halloween Base of Terror.

                                    >- Jeff B., the grill!

                                    I was unable to locate a grill that we can use on the InfoAge campus. So I
                                    will be letting MARCH borrow my mother's grill. Ian Primus will help
                                    transport to and from the Festivus site. I have two propane tanks that we
                                    can use and Will make sure to have grilling tools too.

                                    Also I cleaned out the refrigerator in the furnace area. It seems to be
                                    working.

                                    We also have a microwave that IXR will let us use.

                                    I won't be able to get to Festivus until 6pm or so. Hopefully earlier!

                                    Jeff Brace
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Dec 8, 2013
                                      > There seems to be a projector in the Festivus room that we can use.

                                      That's good.

                                      > Joe Gilberti said that we can borrow it from Infoage.

                                      ...Not that Joe has any authority to make that decision, but, Fred has
                                      always let us borrow it in the past so it's no big deal.

                                      It would still be good if somebody brings one just in case the bulb dies
                                      or if we desire dueling screens etc.

                                      > I will be letting MARCH borrow my mother's grill.

                                      Thank you mama Brace! :)
                                    • corey986
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Dec 9, 2013
                                        I'll bring my spare projector....

                                        Now I gotta start making a list... So I remember what I said I'd bring :-).

                                        Cheers,

                                        Corey
                                      • s100doctor
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Dec 9, 2013

                                          Evan reminded me the event is through Saturday night; thanks. Also, today (Monday) I reserved a motel room south of Infoage. There's a chance of showers and snow during the event, another reason not to drive to/from Trenton that evening. I'll still bring a cot if someone will need an overnight  (and split the cost).

                                          Also, I stopped at our local brewery River Horse, and bought a few bottles of local pumpkin brewed beer. hard to imagine running out of beer if a keg is on-site but the variety may be amusing. Also, those attending the next TCF may want to consider an afternoon brewery tour (by reservation usually)., it's only a few miles from TCNJ.

                                          Herb Johnson

                                          beer here

                                        • David Riley
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Dec 9, 2013
                                            On Dec 9, 2013, at 5:17 PM, <hjohnson@...> <hjohnson@...> wrote:

                                            > Also, I stopped at our local brewery River Horse, and bought a few bottles of local pumpkin brewed beer. hard to imagine running out of beer if a keg is on-site but the variety may be amusing. Also, those attending the next TCF may want to consider an afternoon brewery tour (by reservation usually)., it's only a few miles from TCNJ.

                                            Looks like my pumpkin pie cream ale will be ready in bottles by the weekend (it's drinkable now, should be fully carbonated by then). Wish I could bring more than 12 bottles, but so much of that batch got committed as gifts this Christmas (and we already drank the rest from the keg). I'll be bringing that.

                                            And, though this is not food-related, I have a Virtual Boy that needs fixing on loan from a friend of mine. Even though this isn't strictly a fix-it workshop, I figure I could bring it and we could have some fun. Anyone got any experience fixing these? My assumption is it's something to do with the mirror.

                                            - Dave
                                          • Jeffrey Brace
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Dec 9, 2013
                                              >And, though this is not food-related, I have a Virtual Boy that needs
                                              >fixing on loan from a friend of mine. Even though this isn't strictly a
                                              >fix-it workshop, I figure I could bring it and we could have some fun.
                                              >Anyone got any experience fixing these? My assumption
                                              >is it's something to do with the mirror.

                                              I would start with asking Ian Primus. To me he is the MacGyver of fixing
                                              vintage computers and things in general. I would almost guarantee that he
                                              would have some idea where to start. You should call him ahead of time and
                                              he might have parts etc. that could be brought.

                                              Jeff Brace
                                            • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Dec 10, 2013
                                                David Riley <fraveydank@...> writes:

                                                >On Dec 9, 2013, at 5:17 PM, <hjohnson@...> <hjohnson@retrot=
                                                >echnology.com> wrote:
                                                >
                                                >> Also, I stopped at our local brewery River Horse, and bought a few bottle=
                                                >s of local pumpkin brewed beer. hard to imagine running out of beer if a ke=
                                                >g is on-site but the variety may be amusing. Also, those attending the next=
                                                > TCF may want to consider an afternoon brewery tour (by reservation usually=
                                                >)., it's only a few miles from TCNJ.
                                                >
                                                >Looks like my pumpkin pie cream ale will be ready in bottles by the weekend=
                                                > (it's drinkable now, should be fully carbonated by then). Wish I could br=
                                                >ing more than 12 bottles, but so much of that batch got committed as gifts =
                                                >this Christmas (and we already drank the rest from the keg). I'll be bring=
                                                >ing that.

                                                You haven't tired of pumpkin brews yet? This year seemed to have an extra
                                                early start and a much broader field of pumpkin ales. By September's end,
                                                I'd already had more than my fill of pumpkin ales; albeit, last evening, I
                                                had Southern Tier's Warlock which was quite nice and balanced.

                                                >And, though this is not food-related, I have a Virtual Boy that needs fixin=
                                                >g on loan from a friend of mine. Even though this isn't strictly a fix-it =
                                                >workshop, I figure I could bring it and we could have some fun. Anyone got=
                                                > any experience fixing these? My assumption is it's something to do with t=
                                                >he mirror.

                                                Mother nature and old man Winter are breeding a storm for the InfoAge area
                                                today and the extended outlook says that they may fornicate once again for
                                                the weekend. To all, please take care in your travels to Festivus. Plan
                                                your routes to keep on the major NJ highways which get better attention by
                                                the plows than the smaller roads. It should be interesting to see if the
                                                road from Rt. 18 to InfoAge gets any plow's attention.

                                                Message 23 of 27 , Dec 10, 2013
                                                  >> the extended outlook says that they may fornicate once again for the weekend.

                                                  I put "weather 07719" into Google and it says mid 40s Saturday and 57 on Sunday.
                                                • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Dec 10, 2013
                                                    Evan Koblentz <evan@...> writes:

                                                    >>> the extended outlook says that they may fornicate once again for the weekend.
                                                    >
                                                    >I put "weather 07719" into Google and it says mid 40s Saturday and 57 on Sunday.

                                                    I didn't know what Belmar's ZIP code was. I, typically, use KBLM to search
                                                    area weather. Earlier prognostications had possible storms for the weekend.
                                                    Also, some are coming from distant locales and will have different weather
                                                    concerns. Safe travels, all.

                                                  • David Riley
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Dec 10, 2013
                                                      On Dec 10, 2013, at 7:41 AM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- <VAXman@...> wrote:

                                                      > >Looks like my pumpkin pie cream ale will be ready in bottles by the weekend=
                                                      > > (it's drinkable now, should be fully carbonated by then). Wish I could br=
                                                      > >ing more than 12 bottles, but so much of that batch got committed as gifts =
                                                      > >this Christmas (and we already drank the rest from the keg). I'll be bring=
                                                      > >ing that.
                                                      >
                                                      > You haven't tired of pumpkin brews yet? This year seemed to have an extra
                                                      > early start and a much broader field of pumpkin ales. By September's end,
                                                      > I'd already had more than my fill of pumpkin ales; albeit, last evening, I
                                                      > had Southern Tier's Warlock which was quite nice and balanced.

                                                      Well, I don't get a chance to get out much. We have a 2-year-old. We have
                                                      a VERY nice bar that is literally around the corner from us (we don't even
                                                      have to walk past a stop light), but I imagine the PA department of social
                                                      services frowns on even that... And as far as buying bottles goes, PA's
                                                      liquor laws make that an appalling proposition. We get friends passing
                                                      through Jersey to bring us cases home, but it limits our selection. That's
                                                      why I mostly just drink homebrew; it's cheaper, to boot, and I've never had
                                                      a bad batch yet.

                                                      In any case, we had a lot of pumpkin this year (10 quarts of puree from 4
                                                      pumpkins), and we WERE getting tired of pumpkin-themed food, so something
                                                      had to be done. That, and the Austin Homebrew Supply store had a sale. So
                                                      I have some pumpkin ale. This one turned out reasonably sweet (without
                                                      being cloying) and without an overwhelming pumpkin pie spice flavor. I'm
                                                      reasonably pleased with it, though I wouldn't say it's the best beer I've
                                                      done by a long shot, but that's what you get with kits; I've a nice heavy
                                                      (and potent) brown ale of my own creation that's perfect for winter, but
                                                      that won't be ready for another month at least.

                                                      Come to think of it, though, I might see if I can make pumpkin bread or
                                                      something similar to bring so we can get more of this damned pumpkin out
                                                      of our fridge. We still have something like five quarts left. Anyone got
                                                      requests for pumpkin-containing foods (baked or otherwise)?

                                                      - Dave
                                                    • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Dec 10, 2013
                                                        David Riley <fraveydank@...> writes:

                                                        >On Dec 10, 2013, at 7:41 AM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- <VAXman@tmesis.c=
                                                        >om> wrote:
                                                        >
                                                        >> >Looks like my pumpkin pie cream ale will be ready in bottles by the week=
                                                        >end=3D
                                                        >> > (it's drinkable now, should be fully carbonated by then). Wish I could =
                                                        >br=3D
                                                        >> >ing more than 12 bottles, but so much of that batch got committed as gif=
                                                        >ts =3D
                                                        >> >this Christmas (and we already drank the rest from the keg). I'll be bri=
                                                        >ng=3D
                                                        >> >ing that.
                                                        >>=20
                                                        >> You haven't tired of pumpkin brews yet? This year seemed to have an extra
                                                        >> early start and a much broader field of pumpkin ales. By September's end,
                                                        >> I'd already had more than my fill of pumpkin ales; albeit, last evening, =
                                                        >> had Southern Tier's Warlock which was quite nice and balanced.
                                                        >
                                                        >Well, I don't get a chance to get out much. We have a 2-year-old. We have
                                                        >a VERY nice bar that is literally around the corner from us (we don't even
                                                        >have to walk past a stop light), but I imagine the PA department of social
                                                        >services frowns on even that... And as far as buying bottles goes, PA's
                                                        >liquor laws make that an appalling proposition. We get friends passing
                                                        >through Jersey to bring us cases home, but it limits our selection. That's
                                                        >why I mostly just drink homebrew; it's cheaper, to boot, and I've never had
                                                        >a bad batch yet.

                                                        My youngest grandchild is almost 2 years old. My wife accepts to sit them
                                                        often but I refuse to allow my kid's needs for sitting services impair my
                                                        personal/social calendar. I did my parenting time; now it's their time!

                                                        I was born and raised in PA. Save for the state store regulations, I don't
                                                        recall any great impediments to beer access.

                                                        >In any case, we had a lot of pumpkin this year (10 quarts of puree from 4
                                                        >pumpkins), and we WERE getting tired of pumpkin-themed food, so something
                                                        >had to be done. That, and the Austin Homebrew Supply store had a sale. So
                                                        >I have some pumpkin ale. This one turned out reasonably sweet (without
                                                        >being cloying) and without an overwhelming pumpkin pie spice flavor. I'm
                                                        >reasonably pleased with it, though I wouldn't say it's the best beer I've
                                                        >done by a long shot, but that's what you get with kits; I've a nice heavy
                                                        >(and potent) brown ale of my own creation that's perfect for winter, but
                                                        >that won't be ready for another month at least.
                                                        >
                                                        >Come to think of it, though, I might see if I can make pumpkin bread or
                                                        >something similar to bring so we can get more of this damned pumpkin out
                                                        >of our fridge. We still have something like five quarts left. Anyone got
                                                        >requests for pumpkin-containing foods (baked or otherwise)?

                                                        There are 4 pumpkins sitting here that my wife will use to make something
                                                        for the holiday but I certainly don't need any more.

                                                        Pumpkin bread, pies or cookies for Festivus might be welcomed. ;)

                                                      • ian_primus
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Dec 10, 2013

                                                          Ah, yes - the problems with the Eyestrain Boy. I am quite familiar, and yes, I can repair it. The source of the problem is most likely the flexible printed cable that connects to the LED assembly. You get these weird lines in the image, blank screen, etc. This is fixable, but unfortunately, it's not exactly the sort of thing that's likely to go over well at Festivus, as it requires sodium hydroxide and fine soldering - neither of which goes well with beer. Effectively - to repair the bad connections between the flex cable and the board, you have to dissolve the plastic portion of the cable, and then solder the conductors firmly to the PCB. This requires the aforementioned chemicals, and heat - usually provided by a toaster oven.

                                                          -Ian