PDP-11/23+ disk/controllers?

  • Cory Smelosky
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 2, 2013
      Evening all,

      I'm having very bad luck with MFM drives it would seem.
      ( It also seems nobody has 'em spare. ;) )

      So, what other Qbus options do I have? ESDI controllers from Emulex?
      (What model? Anyone have one laying around they'd part with for a
      reasonable price?). I know there's also SCSI but those controllers are
      NOT easy to find. ;)

      David R: You have a MicroVAX, right? What's your disk setup?

      --
      Cory Smelosky
      http://gewt.net Personal stuff
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 2, 2013
        On Nov 2, 2013, at 18:50, Cory Smelosky <b4@...> wrote:

        David R: You have a MicroVAX, right? What's your disk setup?

        It's actually an 11/23+ that is sometimes a MicroVAX. It's nice to have a backplane that lets you switch between the two!

        In any case, I use a CMD CQD-220/TM (QBUS MSCP SCSI controller) for my disks. It should work as well as the RQDX3 for your purposes, since they're both MSCP controllers. Works great with hard drives, Zip drives and CDROMs (properly conforming ones, anyway; Plextor works the best there), though I doubt you'll have much use for CDs with an -11.

        Actually acquiring one is a bit of a challenge... I think I paid about $120 for mine on eBay, and that was a BARGAIN (I actually bought it off another list member, though I did not know them or anyone in the community at the time). Still, if you find one at about that price, it's totally worth it.

        Emulex made a similar QBUS SCSI controller. MARCH has two such controllers in the warehouse (one Emulex and one CMD-220, IIRC), but depending on how hard it is to get media for the -11s in the collection, Evan may not be so keen on selling them.

        - Dave
      • Cory Smelosky
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 2, 2013
          On Sun, 3 Nov 2013, David Riley wrote:

          > On Nov 2, 2013, at 18:50, Cory Smelosky <b4@...> wrote:
          >> David R: You have a MicroVAX, right? What's your disk setup?
          >>
          > It's actually an 11/23+ that is sometimes a MicroVAX. It's nice to have a backplane that lets you switch between the two!

          Nice!

          > In any case, I use a CMD CQD-220/TM (QBUS MSCP SCSI controller) for my disks. It should work as well as the RQDX3 for your purposes, since they're both MSCP controllers. Works great with hard drives, Zip drives and CDROMs (properly conforming ones, anyway; Plextor works the best there), though I doubt you'll have much use for CDs with an -11.

          Ahhhh. Yeah. I can't even FIND one.

          > Actually acquiring one is a bit of a challenge... I think I paid about $120 for mine on eBay, and that was a BARGAIN (I actually bought it off another list member, though I did not know them or anyone in the community at the time). Still, if you find one at about that price, it's totally worth it.

          That's why I am unfortunately stuck with MFM drives...which seem to keep
          being DOA, hard to format, expensive and risky, or unreliable.

          --
          Cory Smelosky
          http://gewt.net Personal stuff
          http://gimme-sympathy.org Projects
        • Neil Cherry
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 2, 2013
            On 11/02/2013 06:50 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
            > Evening all,
            >
            > I'm having very bad luck with MFM drives it would seem.
            > ( It also seems nobody has 'em spare. ;) )
            >
            > So, what other Qbus options do I have? ESDI controllers from Emulex?
            > (What model? Anyone have one laying around they'd part with for a
            > reasonable price?). I know there's also SCSI but those controllers are
            > NOT easy to find. ;)
            >
            > David R: You have a MicroVAX, right? What's your disk setup?

            MARCH now has 2 SCSI card from a couple of 3400's sitting in the 3300 I
            donated to MARCH. The SCSI card don't exactly fit the 3300.

            http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site
            http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog
          • David Riley
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 3, 2013
              On Nov 2, 2013, at 9:07 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:

              > > In any case, I use a CMD CQD-220/TM (QBUS MSCP SCSI controller) for my disks. It should work as well as the RQDX3 for your purposes, since they're both MSCP controllers. Works great with hard drives, Zip drives and CDROMs (properly conforming ones, anyway; Plextor works the best there), though I doubt you'll have much use for CDs with an -11.
              > >

              > Ahhhh. Yeah. I can't even FIND one.

              Just keep checking eBay periodically. They have the front-page auto-search thing now (I forget what they call it); you could add "QBUS SCSI" to those search terms.

              > > Actually acquiring one is a bit of a challenge... I think I paid about $120 for mine on eBay, and that was a BARGAIN (I actually bought it off another list member, though I did not know them or anyone in the community at the time). Still, if you find one at about that price, it's totally worth it.
              > >

              > That's why I am unfortunately stuck with MFM drives...which seem to keep
              > being DOA, hard to format, expensive and risky, or unreliable.

              Older SCSI drives aren't much better, and are generally less repairable than MFM drives. They haven't reached "hen's teeth" status yet, but my supply of them is very low, which is a problem because I also have a lot of old Macs.

              Even newer SCSI drives are suspect. I just got a pile of RZ29B-VW drives (fast/wide 4.1 GB StorageWorks SCSI drives for my AlphaServers) that ran fine for a few days, but they're already starting to conk out one by one. I'm not sure how repairable they are, but the StorageWorks carriers have already proven to be unpleasant to disassemble.

              A SCSI Zip 100 drive and a bunch of cartridges shouldn't set you back too much, though, and the USB Zip 100 drives are a great way to image them from a modern machine running simh or the like. If you get a drive and need some disks, let me know; I have way more than I'm likely to need.

              - Dave
            • Cory Smelosky
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 3, 2013
                Sent from my iPhone

                > On 3 Nov 2013, at 08:59, "David Riley" <fraveydank@...> wrote:
                >
                > On Nov 2, 2013, at 9:07 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
                >
                >>> In any case, I use a CMD CQD-220/TM (QBUS MSCP SCSI controller) for my disks. It should work as well as the RQDX3 for your purposes, since they're both MSCP controllers. Works great with hard drives, Zip drives and CDROMs (properly conforming ones, anyway; Plextor works the best there), though I doubt you'll have much use for CDs with an -11.
                >>
                >> Ahhhh. Yeah. I can't even FIND one.
                >
                > Just keep checking eBay periodically. They have the front-page auto-search thing now (I forget what they call it); you could add "QBUS SCSI" to those search terms.
                >
                >>> Actually acquiring one is a bit of a challenge... I think I paid about $120 for mine on eBay, and that was a BARGAIN (I actually bought it off another list member, though I did not know them or anyone in the community at the time). Still, if you find one at about that price, it's totally worth it.
                >>
                >> That's why I am unfortunately stuck with MFM drives...which seem to keep
                >> being DOA, hard to format, expensive and risky, or unreliable.
                >
                > Older SCSI drives aren't much better, and are generally less repairable than MFM drives. They haven't reached "hen's teeth" status yet, but my supply of them is very low, which is a problem because I also have a lot of old Macs.

                Thankfully, adApters help there.

                > Even newer SCSI drives are suspect. I just got a pile of RZ29B-VW drives (fast/wide 4.1 GB StorageWorks SCSI drives for my AlphaServers) that ran fine for a few days, but they're already starting to conk out one by one. I'm not sure how repairable they are, but the StorageWorks carriers have already proven to be unpleasant to disassemble.
                >
                > A SCSI Zip 100 drive and a bunch of cartridges shouldn't set you back too much, though, and the USB Zip 100 drives are a great way to image them from a modern machine running simh or the like. If you get a drive and need some disks, let me know; I have way more than I'm likely to need.

                Sure. I could use some. I have spare IDE ones, but not SCSI.